Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By Roger Wilkinson
  • 1 Post By Andrew Watkins
  • 1 Post By badabec
  • 1 Post By forumnoreason

Thread: DS door keys

Default DS door keys

Can anyone suggest how I might acquire a door key for Daphne DSpécial? She came only with keys for the ignition and the glovebox.

Advertisement

Thanks,
    Melanie

Fellow Frogger

Firstly, remove the door and boot locks from the car and dismantle them to determine how corroded and/or damaged the barrels and their housings are. The door lock housings tend to corrode internally, so that the tumblers inside the barrel can be in any position and the lock still turns. That may not worry you, but if you want them to lock like that, they won't. You can buy a new repro lock set, which may be your only practical option, but the quality can be so-so in my experience. If you can use your existing locks, you can either have a key cut to suit or you can change the tumblers to suit a key such as the glovebox key if you want them all to match. The glovebox key was probably not the same as the doors/boot to begin with.
    MelanieYlang likes this.

Who's going to steal a D? Especially the only one in Harrow.

Roger
    MelanieYlang likes this.

To be honest, it's been kept in the city for over a decade with no break ins, so I guess I won't worry too much about it.

Fellow Frogger!

Der Franzose have them but I have found the quality of the Citroën locks pretty ordinary - boot lock failed after only 12 months. Their ones for the 404 have been pretty good, so may be from somebody else.

They do give an indication of the quality of the various bits on their website - graded from manufacturer original to poor reproduction on a 4 or 5 point scale, so it might be worth watching this to see whether they get in a better batch from a different supplier.

Getting key made for existing lock may be better long term solution, if possible

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieYlang View Post
    Can anyone suggest how I might acquire a door key for Daphne DSpécial? She came only with keys for the ignition and the glovebox.

Thanks,
    Melanie
    MelanieYlang likes this.

Hello, on my DSuper5 changing just the barrels made no difference, the housings were so badly worn. So, another order, more postage and packing and more delay. Buy the whole lot as David S suggests.
    I never lock the glovebox, it's a pain in the arse if you need something from it when you're driving.
    For security I use a Disklock.
    And a locked boot is no problem to open...

Peter
    MelanieYlang likes this.

I'll third that, having same grief, plus pulling the locks apart is not that easy.
    MelanieYlang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Hello, on my DSuper5 changing just the barrels made no difference, the housings were so badly worn. So, another order, more postage and packing and more delay. Buy the whole lot as David S suggests.
    I never lock the glovebox, it's a pain in the arse if you need something from it when you're driving.
    For security I use a Disklock.
    And a locked boot is no problem to open...

Peter
    Hi Peter, why do you say a locked boot is no problem to open? Aside from it being very easy to gain access by removing the back seat...

Sent from my GT-P5210 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thread Information