Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By speaksgeek
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 2 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By MELso

Thread: Warranties - After Market?

Tadpole

Default Warranties - After Market?

Replaced the 2004 C5 with a 2014 C5, with 80,000kms.
    Out of warranty in the next few months (it's a pre July 01 rego).

Advertisement

Recommendations on extended warranties? 2 years or is the extra $ hike on a 3rd year worth it?
    So far, had a look at RACV & Swann.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Fellow Frogger

Check with Citroen Australia. Being a 2014 C5, it was presumably sold as a new car after the middle of 2013 and so you should have the balance of the Citroen 6 year warranty without doing anything else.

Fellow Frogger!

The only advice I have is that the National Warranty Company offerings aren't worth the paper they are written on.
    https://www.nwc.com.au/

Massive exclusions and minimum servicing requirements make them nearly impossible to claim anything meaningful. Good markup for dealers though.
    We had Allianz factory warranty extension on a bunch of ford transits at one stage. They tried to deny claims on us a couple of times because we were using the vans for commercial purposes "courier work". We asked them what they thought we would be using a commercial delivery van for.
    Basically, real factory warranty is the only thing worth a damn as far as I've experienced.
    driven and shanadoo like this.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, AT Power Dry Sump, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Custom Radiator and Oil cooler, 3J Plate LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5, Winton - 1:40.2, Wakefield - 1:11.05, Phillip Island - 1:55.9
    NŁrburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

The concept of warranted items and non warranted item. And heavy total exclusions on any consequential damage from "non warranted items failing immediately rings alarm bells for me.

National Warranty Company provide a means for used car seller to provide a "Warranty" on vehicle they sell. When a claim is knocked back the dealer is out of the loop.

I suspect the dealers pay a once off fee to the NWC and pocket the so called premium themselves.

The only warranty worth owning is the OEM manufacturers warranty and the extension of it underwritten by the manufacturer.

Alliance are better than most, but still not the same as a manufacturer warranty.
    shanadoo likes this.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Check with Citroen Australia. Being a 2014 C5, it was presumably sold as a new car after the middle of 2013 and so you should have the balance of the Citroen 6 year warranty without doing anything else.
    Yep, been thru this, prior to purchase. Interesting stuff - all the Vic dealers websites have bizarre variations on what constitutes a Citroen manufacturers warranty! I rang Citroen Aust & even they got it wrong first time round. I eventually established that the 6 year unlimited kms warranty dates from new car purchases after July 1st, 2014.

Mind you, the reversal of Citroen Australia's verbal info was really odd ... who you gonna trust? ...

Fellow Frogger

I'd thought the 6 year period started before that date, but it seems only a couple of models had that length before July 1 2014 and the C5 wasn't one of them. The Commercial range is still on 3 years I think. I guess you miss out. The good news is the later C5 isn't a major problem car. The build quality is generally good and some things that may cause problems have reasonably inexpensive fixes if you resist just handing the car to a mechanic / dealer.

If you must get a policy, see how much you would be paid when you are facing $2-3K for a new factory valve block in the gearbox if/when it exhibits a hot slip on the 2-3 upchange. Repair is possible for less, but the new valve block is the more reliable fix. You will probably be caught out by exclusions, caps and any excess, limiting what is paid out. See whether it would exclude repairing excessive carbon build up in the intake manifold. Or how much would you receive for a pair of cooling fans ($1,500), stuck alternator one-way clutch (new alternator $1K+ - can buy just the clutch, but not from Citroen) or front lower control arm bushes (not supplied separately - must buy entire arms $1,500 per pair. Can use aftermarket bushes, but beware these are not all the same!).

Don't forget even the factory warranties have large areas of exclusion for some items they deem to be wearing parts and the biggest 'outs' of all relate to lubricants used and service history. If you read the Kia 7 year terms, you'd find it's not exactly 'full coverage' for the entire period. When I looked through it earlier in the year, there were some parts not covered if they don't go the distance, like the exhaust parts, particularly the catalytic converter. So, the devil is in the detail.
    Last edited by David S; 29th December 2016 at 01:32 PM.
    shanadoo and turnbull151 like this.

The 6 year warranty period started for cars sold on and after 1 March 2014.

CitroŽn Warranty Terms and Conditions - CITROňN Australia

http://www.caradvice.com.au/272771/citroen-introduces-six-year-unlimited-kilometre-warranty/

Further, the vehicles will be covered by the implied consumer guarantees under the Australian Consumer Law (in the case of vehicles costing over $40k, only provided the purchase was made by a consumer for personal, domestic or household purposes), and extended warranties tend to have more holes than swiss cheese...

EDIT - correct dates. However, it didn't cover all vehicles.
    Last edited by MELso; 29th December 2016 at 01:47 PM.
    David S likes this.
    2011 Citroen C5 - 'La Barge'

Also make sure the Policy you choose doesn't only cover complete failure of an item. With NWC for example, things like noisy water pump or power steer pump or alternator bearing squealing are not considered warranty items.

They are only claimable when they fail and car becomes not driveable. (I guess they hope that time is outside warranty period)

I have recently been through the same exercise. NWG are NFG! this from my mechanic who I have used for over 20 years.

AWN is the best of a bad lot, but you must buy through the dealer. I have had three cars with one of their warrantees (different levels) and they have honoured several claims to the letter without a quibble. The key thing is to READ the FINE PRINT to see what is covered - as Rob said 'failure' not wear and tear is the key.

Allianze/Swann sound like they are new car warrantees but they aren't - they also have the 'wear and tear' provision, but from what I could find out are the nearest thing you can get to an extended factory one. The cost though, at about $2,000 for 2 years is steep. If the car is a goody, and you bought it from a dealer who knows the history you have to think about whether it's worth it. I have decided it isn't, and am taking chance.

There is another one the brokers are trying to flog called 'ERIC". Nobody I have contracted have ever heard of it. Avoid.

If you bought this car privately, fingers crossed and I would definitely invest in the Alianze or Swann policy. We all love the Cit's, but I've had three and every one has driven me to despair and I would not own one without a warrantee..
    I might act like an idiot, and I might look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: I really AM an idiot!

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by MELso View Post
    The 6 year warranty period started for cars sold on and after 1 March 2014.

CitroŽn Warranty Terms and Conditions - CITROňN Australia

http://www.caradvice.com.au/272771/citroen-introduces-six-year-unlimited-kilometre-warranty/

Further, the vehicles will be covered by the implied consumer guarantees under the Australian Consumer Law (in the case of vehicles costing over $40k, only provided the purchase was made by a consumer for personal, domestic or household purposes), and extended warranties tend to have more holes than swiss cheese...

EDIT - correct dates. However, it didn't cover all vehicles.
    Note that there is no ref to kms re the 6 year warranty - & the syntax is ambiguous-dodgy! This characterises Citroen warranty stuff all across the board. Just how do you establish truth here?

Thanks for all these comments - it's clarified some of the issues for sure. Now for checking fine print.

1000+ Posts

If you look at the exclusions and conditions on the long warranties from all the manufacturers, it becomes clear that thay are actually a sales inducement for owners to stay longer with expensive dealer servicing.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    If you look at the exclusions and conditions on the long warranties from all the manufacturers, it becomes clear that thay are actually a sales inducement for owners to stay longer with expensive dealer servicing.
    With PSA vehicles perhaps.

Other manufacturers, simply word their extended warranty as an unlimited distance, continuation of the statutory "standard" manufacturer's warranty.

This is the only type of extended worth having. And usually only available when the OEM holds both the Statutory and extended warranties in person.

Immediately the OEM passes the extended warranty to another party, Alliance for example, the onerous terms and conditions appear in the small print.

EDIT:
    For example some manufacturers offer extended warranty as below:

The way it works is simple. Purchasing the extended warranty will add an additional 2-years/unlimited kilometres* to your existing 3-year warranty. This Extended Warranty is factory backed and also gives you the benefit of a further 2 years Roadside Assistance, anytime, anywhere in Australia.

Key benefits of a XXXXX Extended Factory Warranty

Covered for a period of 5 years/unlimited kilometres
    100% backed by XXXXX

The warranty guarantees only genuine XXXXX parts are used during any repairs

XXXXX Roadside Assistance for the duration of the warranty

No limits or excess for any claims

The extended warranty is fully transferable (at no extra cost)
    Enhances resale value of your vehicle

If, at any point during your warranty period, you decide that it’s time to move on or upgrade, the extendable warranty is completely transferrable, to the next owner.

xxxxx - manufacturer name - removed in respect of being a French car forum.
    Last edited by robmac; 29th December 2016 at 03:56 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post
    The only advice I have is that the National Warranty Company offerings aren't worth the paper they are written on.
    https://www.nwc.com.au/

Massive exclusions and minimum servicing requirements make them nearly impossible to claim anything meaningful. Good markup for dealers though.
    We had Allianz factory warranty extension on a bunch of ford transits at one stage. They tried to deny claims on us a couple of times because we were using the vans for commercial purposes "courier work". We asked them what they thought we would be using a commercial delivery van for.
    Basically, real factory warranty is the only thing worth a damn as far as I've experienced.
    I had one of these on a 4 year old Audi. It was a total waste of time and money.

My advice would be to see if you can get a genuine factory extended warranty through the selling dealer. The $ paid is worth every cent.

Thread Information