2cv bead breaker
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By andrewj
  • 2 Post By JBN

Thread: 2cv bead breaker

Default 2cv bead breaker

I've got a slow leak in one of my Dyane tires + have started tidying up the rims on the ripple bonnet.
    Local tyre place is closed and inconvenient in any case, so time to make a bead breaker...
    2cv bead breaker-20161227_175309%5B1%5D.jpg
    Curved piece of wood is a rock hard piece of oak from the crate the SLC chassis came in.

Simply drive the car half way up, then bounce on the end for a controlled and satisfying POP as the bead lets go.

Advertisement
    Last edited by andrewj; 27th December 2016 at 07:22 PM. Reason: typo

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

That's very neat. Thanks for the idea. On my Renault 4CV (or R8) with the same tyres, I usually do it by walking around the tyre and bouncing on it with boots on, but it doesn't have safety rims and even then, if it has been a few years the language can get bad....

I have to go and check the wood store in the garage now. Such a good approach!!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by andrewj View Post
    I've got a slow leak in one of my Dyane tires + have started tidying up the rims on the ripple bonnet.
    Local tyre place is closed and inconvenient in any case, so time to make a bead breaker...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161227_175309[1].jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	92290
    Curved piece of wood is a rock hard piece of oak from the crate the SLC chassis came in.

Simply drive the car half way up, then bounce on the end for a controlled and satisfying POP as the bead lets go.
    Looking at the tyre sidewall furthest from the wood, there seems to be a long split in the sidewall. I would have thought it would have produced a fast leak.

Whilst you are repairing your tyre, I reckon a black texta could improve the grooves on the tread.

John
    Last edited by JBN; 27th December 2016 at 10:48 PM. Reason: English
    JohnW and jaahn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    That's very neat. Thanks for the idea. On my Renault 4CV (or R8) with the same tyres, I usually do it by walking around the tyre and bouncing on it with boots on, but it doesn't have safety rims and even then, if it has been a few years the language can get bad....

I have to go and check the wood store in the garage now. Such a good approach!!
    My method also! Works well on 165x400 X
    Cheers Gerry

I usually just drive a tractor front tyre up onto the tyre but your method would be better.

Roger

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I've just about given in with modern tyres. The last land rover wheels I tried to break bead on I pancake the tyre sidewall to sidewall with a bead breaker ( that "sort of" pealed some of the bead over the safety land). Then with some hard wood beat the living shit out of the bead with a sledge hammer to try and get some more of the tyre over the safety land. Extremelly difficult. CX wheels are also all but impossible to strip when fitted with well aged michelin tyres. Even if you manage to break the bead by some miracle, you can't stretch the bead up and over the rim.

I think the 2cv wheels were some of the easiest tyres I've ever stripped from rims... They pretty much just fell off compared to CX tyres.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I've just about given in with modern tyres. The last land rover wheels I tried to break bead on I pancake the tyre sidewall to sidewall with a bead breaker ( that "sort of" pealed some of the bead over the safety land). Then with some hard wood beat the living shit out of the bead with a sledge hammer to try and get some more of the tyre over the safety land. Extremelly difficult. CX wheels are also all but impossible to strip when fitted with well aged michelin tyres. Even if you manage to break the bead by some miracle, you can't stretch the bead up and over the rim.

I think the 2cv wheels were some of the easiest tyres I've ever stripped from rims... They pretty much just fell off compared to CX tyres.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    You're right and the same too for the 15" Renault rims, pre-"safety rims" of course. Just walk around them basically to get the bead off and dead easy to remove and refit with a rubber mallet. I've never considered even trying with the CX!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

JBN

I bought an Australian designed and made bead breaker. It was voted as best design by the Australian Army, particularly the SAS long range patrol requirements. This is the smallest model and is adjustable for (I think) rims of 12" to 15" or 16". Anyhow, I got it from a 4WD shop where it had been for a number of years and I bought it cheap.

2cv bead breaker-bead-breaker.jpg

On Raid 2016, it was very popular with other Raiders that had tyre problems. As was my rubber mallet, lump hammer and brickies bolster that was rounded to fit the rim.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I bought an Australian designed and made bead breaker. It was voted as best design by the Australian Army, particularly the SAS long range patrol requirements. This is the smallest model and is adjustable for (I think) rims of 12" to 15" or 16". Anyhow, I got it from a 4WD shop where it had been for a number of years and I bought it cheap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bead Breaker.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	92308

On Raid 2016, it was very popular with other Raiders that had tyre problems. As was my rubber mallet, lump hammer and brickies bolster that was rounded to fit the rim.

John
    The land rovers probably hold old split rims with no safety lands on them though
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

JBN

This is a video of how the TyrePliers work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-TYxLyQh04

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    This is a video of how the TyrePliers work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-TYxLyQh04

John
    Have a look at the truck tire version... See how it doesn't break ... THAT is my experience. You might get a 1cm section of bead pealed down over the safety land, but it just bloody pops back..... AAARrrhhhhhh. Maybe 3 sets of tire pliers over a 10inch section of bead *might* work as it would peal enough bead over the safety land, that it would stay over there so you can work your way aorund the rest of the bead with the pliers.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information