• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: c5 aircon problem

Tadpole

Default c5 aircon problem

Hi guys new to the forum. Was recommended it by a friend
    I have a 2005 c5 hdi and I'm having problems with the ac. When you turn it on the compressor clutch will not stay on even though its set on 16 degrees and its boiling in cabin. So it constantly cuts in and out. Does anyone have the diagram for it? And is there an incar temp sensor?
    Also I have checked the ac gas and its spot on without leaks

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by markcap View Post
    I have a 2005 c5 hdi and I'm having problems with the ac. When you turn it on the compressor clutch will not stay on even though its set on 16 degrees and its boiling in cabin. So it constantly cuts in and out. Does anyone have the diagram for it? And is there an incar temp sensor?
    Check that the radiator fan is running, if not the AC will do as you describe. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

Hi markcap,
    The a/c compressor does not normally run continuously in any car. It cuts in and out to maintain the refrigerant level as needed. The refrigerant flow is controlled by the tx valve to the evaporator. It is controlled by the temperature in the air distribution/fan unit. It has several thermistors to sense the temperature of the air being delivered and there is a body computer to control it all.
    The hot water is continuously on and the cold is also, so the distribution/fan unit mixes them by modulating the opening of the air control flaps to get the temperature correct to the setting and the correct area.

These flap motors have problems !! The plastic couplings split. The fan motor controllers have problems! the connections fail. Google it on here !
    Good luck jaahn

1000+ Posts

markcap, can we go back to square one? Is there a performance problem as seen and felt inside the car? There are several known faults that can develop over time in these units, involving possibly fan motor, controller electronics and damper flaps.

Is "boiling in cabin" the normal state?

The compressor, as with older domestic AC, cuts in and out periodically, achieved using the pulley clutch.

Tadpole

Hi sorry guys should have been more clear. The aircon works perfectly for approx a period of ten minutes, then it will turn ac off and just blow air (not hot air just lowest temp air without ac) then after about 10-20 minutes the ac will kick in and this cycle will constantly continue

Hi sorry guys should have been more clear. The aircon works perfectly for approx a period of ten minutes, then it will turn ac off and just blow air (not hot air just lowest temp air without ac) then after about 10-20 minutes the ac will kick in and this cycle will constantly continue
    Have you checked the radiator fan? You need air through the AC condenser, especially when the car is stationary . . .

Cheers
    Chris
    JohnW likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Tadpole

Fan not working just checked

Icon3

Fan not working just checked
    I think you have found your problem. . . the bad news is that an OEM fan is around $600.00 (seriously)

The good news is you can fit a generic fan i.e. Supercheap 14" for around $40.00, I have one running in my C5 and has been fitted for over 5 years now.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Tadpole

Ye I've got some lying around from my old drift cars ill just use one thanks guys ��

Thread Information