• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ajaxvte
  • 1 Post By ajaxvte

Thread: D special cigarette lighter

Fellow Frogger!

Default D special cigarette lighter

I had one of those light bulb moments today.

Advertisement

When I purchased the car from the original owner more than three years ago, he told me the cigarette lighter had never worked, but that hadn't bothered him because he didn't smoke.

I didn't think too much about it at the time, but since have thought numerous times about the annoyance of it not working and how it would be good to be able to charge phones etc.

So in my last load of stuff from Classic Citroens I also ordered a replacement lighter, at £13. Recently I removed the instrument cluster and today I decided to have a go at changing the lighter out for the new one.

That's when I noticed that there was no connection to a power supply. Not only that, but I couldn't find a loose lead where it might have come off all those years ago. What was going on?

What had happened, I am almost certain, was that in installing the push button AM radio (which still works fine) as a dealer fitted option, Duttons had simply hooked it up to the charger supply.

Sure enough, I swapped the line back to the charger and 30 seconds later it popped out glowing red hot. First time in 41 years.

Lesson learned. If you are in the market for a brand new cigarette lighter....

AM
    Vincenzo likes this.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    I had one of those light bulb moments today.

When I purchased the car from the original owner more than three years ago, he told me the cigarette lighter had never worked, but that hadn't bothered him because he didn't smoke.

I didn't think too much about it at the time, but since have thought numerous times about the annoyance of it not working and how it would be good to be able to charge phones etc.

So in my last load of stuff from Classic Citroens I also ordered a replacement lighter, at £13. Recently I removed the instrument cluster and today I decided to have a go at changing the lighter out for the new one.

That's when I noticed that there was no connection to a power supply. Not only that, but I couldn't find a loose lead where it might have come off all those years ago. What was going on?

What had happened, I am almost certain, was that in installing the push button AM radio (which still works fine) as a dealer fitted option, Duttons had simply hooked it up to the charger supply.

Sure enough, I swapped the line back to the charger and 30 seconds later it popped out glowing red hot. First time in 41 years.

Lesson learned. If you are in the market for a brand new cigarette lighter....

AM
    Alistair,
    Check that your OEM lighter socket will charge your phone etc. the lighter Darrin supplies has a shorter shaft that is suitable for use as an accessory socket (doubles as a lighter ).

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Yes thanks done that, the OEM socket takes a phone charger just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Alistair,
    Check that your OEM lighter socket will charge your phone etc. the lighter Darrin supplies has a shorter shaft that is suitable for use as an accessory socket (doubles as a lighter ).

Cheers
    Chris
    GreenBlood likes this.

Thread Information