Long distance drives over Christmas?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By gilberthenry
  • 2 Post By garyk
  • 1 Post By tasie C5
  • 2 Post By Kuma

Thread: Long distance drives over Christmas?

SMM

Default Long distance drives over Christmas?

I doing the annual glide in the Xm down the Hume from Sydney to Melbourne (and back) over the Christmas Holidays.

Advertisement

Do any other Fellow Froggers have plans for other long drives?
    SMM

Current Citroen - : 1997 Xm Exclusive Series II, C4 Cactus

Previous Citroens: 2007 C4 VTR, 2006 C5, 1991 Xm Series 1, 1999 Xsara 1.8, 1988 Bx TRI

Icon6

G'day,
    yes, stay off the roads. Too many f'wits, not enough/too many police, and way too many people who do not know how to drive.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by SMM View Post
    I doing the annual glide in the Xm down the Hume from Sydney to Melbourne (and back) over the Christmas Holidays.

In the past I have enjoyed the Christmas period for long drives as these days so many people fly and the roads are quiet.

Don't know about the coastal highways but inland it's beautiful. Less trucks and a lot of fun cruisin'. We're off in the '68 Safari to Nelson, on the coast, for a few days near SA so that'll take 4 or so hours plus a coffee here and there. I'll lubricate those back ball joints today as they haven't been looked at for a while.
    Small towns, bakeries, friendly people, no parking and toilet costs like England - - - free as a bird, let's fly - - in a DS - - or an XM.

Have fun, John.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long distance drives over Christmas?-ds-68-newell-jan-2012-bw.jpg   Long distance drives over Christmas?-ds-68-newell-jan-2012-aw.jpg  
    Last edited by gilberthenry; 23rd December 2016 at 09:56 AM.
    David M likes this.

Yes, I'm making five hour trip.

Just popping over the (Harbour) Bridge for 10km trip to the other side.
    Such are the joys of Sydney.
    pug206gti and UFO like this.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by SMM View Post

Christmas fun & dramas. Went the 400 odd km to Nelson in the '68 Safari. When getting close we heard - - ka- - boom and the right back tyre blew - - to bits. It was after driving at about 105km per hour for a while and it was hot. I had put about 36lbs into the tyres and when this one blew I checked the others to find they were at about 44 - 46lbs. I'd heard about tyre pressures going up. I let the pressures back to 36.
    So there we were at Nelson about 400km from home with no spare and 2 tyres on the back that were not great - - kicking myself that I hadn't packed another spare. Anyway wer'e back home without another puncture and I take Janet to Melbourne airport in 3 days and then off to Nelson again 400k's there and back.

I am putting 2 decent tyres on the back and will carry 2 spares.

I have just pulled the wire clip out so I could pull the grease cover rubber "boot" back along the rod holding the main rear LHM boot. I then pulled the rod out of the ball socket exposing the ball. I want to re-grease the ball and socket.
    First I want to clean it all so what I would like to know is - - - does the ball come out? If so, I can soak the end cup with ball in kero and I imagine that the ball will then come out so I can re-assemble with grease.
    One of the back rods is clicking a bit so I want to lubricate both sides while I'm putting wheels with decent tyres on.

Thanks, John.

UPDATE - - - I have put ball & socket in kero and tapped ball out so I can clean and lubricate. Although the ball looks okay at a quick glance it looks a bit scored and I wonder if these are available - - even at a bearing supplies ??
    Last edited by gilberthenry; 28th December 2016 at 09:07 AM.

Heading from Sydney to Maleny in the Sunshine Coast hinterland tomorrow - hopefully drop in on Matthew in Brisbane on the way for a quick visit and see his project 205 GTi6 conversion.

Sharing the driving with my Dad so that could be fun - the last long drive I did with Dad was 1988.

Load up with lots of good podcasts!

PS - I think this will be my 1000th post!

Call that long distance? How about Yardi Station via Exmouth to Perth hills in one day. Grandsons driving, in the C5. One refuel.
    JohnW likes this.

Hi Tasie. Is this what you are talking about more or less?

https://goo.gl/maps/5TR1SBivTBP2

That is quite a journey for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5 View Post
    Call that long distance? How about Yardi Station via Exmouth to Perth hills in one day. Grandsons driving, in the C5. One refuel.
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

Just got back from Melbourne > Black Spur > Marysville > Alexander > Yea > Swifts Creek > Broadford > Kilmore-Wallan > Melbourne in the X7, Ran Like a charm. Rain from Wallan was so bad did not get past 70KPH . many many people pulled to the side of the road. Auto wipers work a treat
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Tadpole

Does Sydney to Bundaberg & back count...!
    One day each way.
    Went up the inland road , reconnected with my aging [ & often problematic Xantia V6 ], she ran beautifully considering I was very concerned she would not make it.
    I hate the coast road , as above , speed cameras , traffic etc, but the drive up via Texas was magic. As you can see by the photos & screenshots , no traffic, no caravans , saw 5 trucks the whole way. Coming back was less enjoyable.
    Long distance drives over Christmas?-p1500114-version-2.jpgLong distance drives over Christmas?-p1500383-version-2.jpgLong distance drives over Christmas?-screen-shot-2016-12-28-9.10.47-am.jpgLong distance drives over Christmas?-screen-shot-2016-12-28-9.14.58-am.jpg
    Ken W and 59 Floride like this.

Kuma.THAT is a great drive!!
    I would not like to tackle these distances in any other car. By the way, I was mainly in the back, listening to musical poetry (RAP) by the grandsons and their competitive chat. The comfort was pretty good compared with many cars of today that make the seat squabs? in the rear are so short so as to make it seem that there is more space in the back. I travelled 30 mins. in the back of a new Mazda CX5 and was most uncomfortable.

Tadpole

The back of the V6 is very comfortable... my two "Princesses" usually spend most of the time like this...

Long distance drives over Christmas?-p1500388-version-2.jpg

... but sadly, just over the last two days, the car has suffered several major ailments ,.. so it looks like she has given its last great ride... and I will have to give away another Citroen,... those C6s for sale in QLD look very appealing,..
    https://goo.gl/8wcvZZ

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5 View Post
    You should have dropped in for a cuppa. Next time perhaps... Good drive!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

JBN

I hate driving anywhere around Christmas to New Year. DOUBLE DEMERIT POINTS. I can lose them quick enough at the standard rate.

John

Ba!, Humbug!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gilberthenry View Post
    In the past I have enjoyed the Christmas period for long drives as these days so many people fly and the roads are quiet.

Don't know about the coastal highways but inland it's beautiful. Less trucks and a lot of fun cruisin'. We're off in the '68 Safari to Nelson, on the coast, for a few days near SA so that'll take 4 or so hours plus a coffee here and there. I'll lubricate those back ball joints today as they haven't been looked at for a while.
    Small towns, bakeries, friendly people, no parking and toilet costs like England - - - free as a bird, let's fly - - in a DS - - or an XM.

Have fun, John.
    Well here we are at Nelson at the bottom of Australia a day or two after the start of 2017, the trusty '68 Safari parked beside Michael's (bit shabby) holiday house with a bit of plastic over it to protect from wind,sun and rain. Christmas time never fails in giving a varied weather around Aus. Perth is up to 39deg today while Brisbane is being lashed by rain.
    Here, Nelson is open to what the Southern Ocean gives out so every hour or so can be different. On the 1st Jan two young nephews who are over from New Zealand with their parents wanted to ride in the Safari to windy Port Macdonnell for a late pub meal. They were very impressed. I was telling them that there are many great Citroens in New Zealand so they'll have to keep an eye out. I'm sure they will impart their great knowledge to anyone interested over there as now ofcourse “they know all there is to know” about the Citroen DS.
    Pretty sparse around here population wise. Nelson is on the Glenelg river and is lined with old boat houses on stumps. We went up river with the old tourist boat the other day to explore the Princess something or other caves which was great fun. Other than the holiday seasons these places are pretty quiet but now it is pretty lively - - - - well - - for around here anyway.
    So the Safari takes us to some wonderful places. On my way back the odd 3 to 400K's just after Christmas to drop Janet at the airport we stopped at - - I think it was Dun Keld or something east of Hamilton, near the grampians, for a coffee and something to eat. A lady in a farm ute waved with a big grin as if to approve of the Safari and other travellers “on the road” were also giving nods of approval and the odd chat.
    We were on the deserted beach here at Nelson as this man came down and Michael got talking cars and then Citroens. He started telling the story of how he saw this wonderful looking Citroen wagon in Dun Keld a week or so ago and how he admired it so yes, we all give joy when driving our treasures all over the country.
    So by the end we will probably do 1500 to 2000 K's without any problems and lots of fun. I did put better tyres on the back after dropping Janet off and am now carrying TWO spares so I don't have to fret about blowouts or punctures. I have had to tune back in to what is needed on long trips. I'm not complaining about tyres as I usually have a pretty rubbishy pair on the back to use them up. We intend to explore South Aus more in the future in both the '68 Safari and the '68 ID19b - - - whichever takes our fancy at the time. They both love long trips.
    I have a niece near Portland with I think an “S” 1962 or so Valiant - - - red, so we met up as I returned from the “quick” trip back to Castlemaine. We met up at the car museum in Portland which is run by the car club there. She has been a member for a number of years. This is the clubroom for the club and the cars are member's cars which are being changed all the time. I was very impressed as this has been working for them for a long time with great success in conjunction with the council. This club is getting together with the Warrnanbool club at Lake Pertobe, Warrnanbool this coming 8th January so we'll drop in with the Safari on our way home which will be interesting.

A happy New Year to all those on the road - - everywhere.

John.
    Last edited by gilberthenry; 3rd January 2017 at 05:34 PM.

Thread Information