C5 Seat Swap
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By T03Y

Thread: C5 Seat Swap

Default C5 Seat Swap

I recently found a (90,000km) 2003 C5 parts car on Gumtree, and for the price of 4 tyres came away with all 5 tyres, the alloy wheels and leather interior, plus a few other bits n bobs.

I've swapped all but the front seats onto my C5 - which was a (daggy) cloth interior, steel wheeled variety.

Advertisement

The front seats from the donor car however have electric adjustment.
    At a glance I thought I might swap the tracks and mechanics from the old seats onto the leather, but I don't think it will take care of the seat back-angle adjustment...

Then I thought I might get an electrician to bring 12v to the leather seats so I can use as is, but he didn't seem interested.

A last resort might be to bring only the leather itself across, uncovering each seat and attempting a swap...

Any suggestions?

Hmm I'll have a look at where the wiring loom comes from you will probably already have partial harness but not the end. Also do you have airbags in your current seats?
    Did you pick up the instrument cluster by chance?

Sent from my GT-I9195T using aussiefrogs mobile app

1000+ Posts

hI to3y
    I did just what you want to do, with my 2001 some years ago. The wiring was all hidden there just plug it in ! No need to do any thing to that. The only problem was the lack of a major fuse in the fuse box under the bonnet. I bought one from supercheap and fitted it and presto !! I thought I had a diagram of the position but cannot find it just now. Will post if it turns up
    As you already know those power front seats are bl**dy heavy and you need some assistance to get them in without having a hernia ! Check the bolts holding the drive motors for tightness as they can come loose and fall out. Easier to tighten now than later !
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 22nd December 2016 at 10:17 AM.
    dimistyle and T03Y like this.

Jaahn, that is good news. I'll have another look for that wiring. Cheers!

Hi Dimistyle, apparently the wiring is already there.
    No I didn't get the cluster - do you need one?
    I took the multi-purpose LED screen as the lights had gone out in mine.
    I may go back and get the air-con controller from the foot well, and the CD player as mine has gone fussy.
    Really I should take the whole car because the AL4 gearbox is apparently good (is it an AL4 in a petrol V6?)
    If someone has a place to keep a parts car between Brisbane and Byron Bay lets go!
    So far its missing the stuff I've mentioned, the front bumper and bonnet. It is also having it's airbags removed to repair another car. Apparently it was only scrapped because of an ABS fault - and is very clean generally.
    It's a metallic pale blue '03 petrol V6 sedan...

Toby I only need the fuel Guage stepper motor from the back of the cluster but not going to fork out $200 for the whole panel. I was offered another 04 C5 Hdi with a shuddering AL4 but don't have space up on the coast to store it 😕

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T03Y View Post
    ------
    Really I should take the whole car because the AL4 gearbox is apparently good (is it an AL4 in a petrol V6?)
    ---------pparently it was only scrapped because of an ABS fault - and is very clean generally.
    It's a metallic pale blue '03 petrol V6 sedan...
    Hi TO3Y
    is it an AL4 in a petrol V6? No the V6 has a different auto fitted, a ZF ??. People might need it too. There was a thread on here about a saga there too.

The car will probably still be worth it for various bits as you go along if you can stash it somewhere. Most of the general stuff is the same as the 4s.

The lights in the multi display can be changed easily. They are just little bulbs available anywhere. But the displays do fail so keep it cool and out of the sun till you need it. That should ensure you never need it
    Cheers jaahn

Jaan you are right - I had a look and the wiring/plugs are right there under the carpet!
    Lucky I didn't start pulling leather off chairs!
    There's another squarer plug - I'm guessing it's for the CD stacker that comes under the leather drivers seat?
    I think the cartridge is missing from mine, but I'd like to run an ipod in through there....

Dimistyle if I get back I'll grap that dash cluster...

Thanks guys!

Just a question that constantly nags... (my own C5'sincluded)....

When we refer to the C5's "leather" seats...are they??
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

Mine smell Leathery - ?

Hey Jaan, I'm stuck re: the fuses.
    If I look at the manual it says the fuses for the seats are G37 and G38, which are in the glovebox (not in the engine bay). They are in the middle of five fuses on the right of the vertical area, and in my car they are not missing and not broken.
    To the left is a long section of empty yellow fuse holders....

Hey, I found the answer on another forum. It is an oversize 80amp fuse, in the engine bay, accessed by lifting the visible fuses to show the biggies underneath. Then its obvious, as only one is missing. Electric seats are Go!
    They don't seem to have the height adjustments that the manual seats have though....
    dimistyle likes this.

Toby how many buttons/ e lo electric levers are on the side of the replacement seats. 3 or 4. As the memory seats had more settings.

Thanks for the cluster offer will only need a stepper motor. There are 2 different types on the back of the guages and I only need the smaller type.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T03Y View Post
    Hey, I found the answer on another forum. It is an oversize 80amp fuse, in the engine bay, accessed by lifting the visible fuses to show the biggies underneath. Then its obvious, as only one is missing. Electric seats are Go!
    They don't seem to have the height adjustments that the manual seats have though....
    Hi TO3Y
    Glad to hear you are floating on electricity now I actually put some spacers under the seats to make them higher. I just used some large nuts x2, I think ? Got some longer bolts or perhaps the existing ones were extra long anyway, cannot remember as I have lifted the seats in all my cars !! (bought an SUV type now for that reason!) Your new drivers seat also has a back support to which I added more padding. Not bad after all that work

A learning experience and you found the big fuses which we hope you never need to look at again. However they are not revealed to the owner in the usual silly fashion. Consult your dealer BS.
    Jaahn

Thread Information