Hoses compatible with LHM.
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By citroenthusiast
  • 1 Post By agd123
  • 1 Post By Ken W
  • 1 Post By forumnoreason
  • 1 Post By moulton2speed
  • 2 Post By Le Parisian

Thread: Hoses compatible with LHM.

  1. #1
    1000+ Posts Bad Bertie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,580

    Default Hoses compatible with LHM.

    Not knowing yet where the leak(s) are, but will have to renew a few no doubt. My question is, are genuine ones available? If not and i go to places like Autocheap or Repco, what tro look for? Advice appreciated, especially from Parisian!

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,415

    Default

    Any nitrile hose from your local pirtek type place should work. Finding hose that isn't re-enforced (so flexible) is the fun bit. You will also find Citroen are bastards for putting a different internal diameter into each end of the one bit of hose.

    You will no doubt find the leaks are the rear boots ... I need to replace all 4 on the ID's here I'm pretty sure. Oneday ....... When some money grows on the money tree again.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Bad Bertie likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Posts
    674

    Default

    Anything that is good for fuel will work with LHM, so autocheap will have most of what you need. 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 works for most of the return lines. The pump suction line is about 1/2 so not as easy to find at autocheap. Industrial suppliers will have the 4mm O.D. nylon (pee line). Use 1/8 unreinforced buna rubber tubing (also from industrial supplier) to make the connections for the 4mm stuff.
    Bad Bertie likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

    54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    canberra
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Enzed is useful too, I used reinforced fuel hose with little problem. However make sure you use good hose clamps at each end. Also there are brass joiners available for those hoses with different sizes at each end, solves the hose with different sized ends problem well. Of course they have elbows, tees, etc so you can make up your own harness (yours would have to be more logical than theirs!).

    Hope this is useful.

    Regards

    agd123
    Bad Bertie likes this.

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts Ken W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    North Brisbane
    Posts
    1,925

    Default

    Mackay EFV hose is good and can be purchased online in 3 different sizes.

    Cheers Ken
    Bad Bertie likes this.

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts forumnoreason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ici.
    Posts
    2,560

    Default

    have a look at the return hose from the regulator as that one is regularly perishable item! Usually needs replacing if not regularly used or unmaintained for long periods.
    Bad Bertie likes this.

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wagga Wagga
    Posts
    346

    Default

    I have used fuel hose for return lines. For the pump suction hose, a hose used for oil cooled turbo chargers works well. I got mine from Denco Diesel.
    Bad Bertie likes this.

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! Le Parisian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Guildford West
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bertie View Post
    Not knowing yet where the leak(s) are, but will have to renew a few no doubt. My question is, are genuine ones available? If not and i go to places like Autocheap or Repco, what tro look for? Advice appreciated, especially from Parisian!

    I use Fuel hoses as a substitute for LHM you can buy them from super cheap. Measure the diameter of your hoses before you get there as they come in different sizes better still take a sample with you, having said that I also bought a selection of LHM hoses from Citroservices . Check all your suspension rubber boots front and back these are probably your culprit. If you can’t see any leak I would assume it’s not from the high pressure circuit but more likely from your return lines. Have a good look all over the car I’m sure the section which is leaking will show wet patches dry the area and observe.
    Repor tback
    Last edited by Le Parisian; 22nd December 2016 at 01:16 PM.
    Bounge and Bad Bertie like this.

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts Bad Bertie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Any nitrile hose from your local pirtek type place should work. Finding hose that isn't re-enforced (so flexible) is the fun bit. You will also find Citroen are bastards for putting a different internal diameter into each end of the one bit of hose.

    You will no doubt find the leaks are the rear boots ... I need to replace all 4 on the ID's here I'm pretty sure. Oneday ....... When some money grows on the money tree again.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    no, the leak is in the front somewhere, near motor .

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts Bad Bertie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    have a look at the return hose from the regulator as that one is regularly perishable item! Usually needs replacing if not regularly used or unmaintained for long periods.
    Will do!

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts Bad Bertie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Parisian View Post
    I use Fuel hoses as a substitute for LHM you can buy them from super cheap. Measure the diameter of your hoses before you get there as they come in different sizes better still take a sample with you, having said that I also bought a selection of LHM hoses from Citroservices . Check all your suspension rubber boots front and back these are probably your culprit. If you can’t see any leak I would assume it’s not from the high pressure circuit but more likely from your return lines. Have a good look all over the car I’m sure the section which is leaking will show wet patches dry the area and observe.
    Repor tback
    I will report back as soon as i found the leak. last worked on the car two days ago, and made good progress with the cleaning!

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts Bad Bertie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,580

    Default

    Thank you all guys with the suggestions. Merry Christmas to you all.

  13. #13
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bertie View Post
    no, the leak is in the front somewhere, near motor .
    The hoses will be split where the push over the barbs. shine a torch down the passenger side of the motor and have a look at the return line junctions. Don't forget the power steering return line. It could also be where the hoses attach to the bottom of the reseviour. I would expect that to drip further forward though. Leaking front suspension boots can run down the high pressure lines and drop from underneath in my experience too.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  14. #14
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,184

    Icon3

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bertie View Post
    Thank you all guys with the suggestions. Merry Christmas to you all.
    Merry Christmas to you Bertie

    Has the level dropped noticeably since you topped it up? As a guide 40mm equates to about a litre of LHM on the sight tube.

    All you can do is clean the suspect areas and inspect for leaks. Rubber returns lines under the tank and in fact the metal tubes they attach to on the tank or pin holes in the bottom of the tank. Given the amount of LHM lost it shouldn't be too tricky to pinpoint the leak(s). Get the car on axle stands and remove the undertray, a good cleanup and have a good look with a torch.

    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Posts
    674

    Default

    Also, a very common leak source is the plastic 4-way Tee attached to the LH bulkhead somewhat underneath the LHM reservoir.... These get brittle with age, then one nipple breaks off and everything in the return lines that should go back to the LHM reservoir ends up on the pavement
    Cheers,
    John T.

    54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •