bloody susspension
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: bloody susspension

Fellow Frogger!

Default bloody susspension

Hi Citmen.Still looking to get ride right after long time.c5x7 has TWO spheirs at rear why ? What model have I got? I am at witts end Thanks Tomfrog

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

4 spheres at the rear. bloody susspension-cit-c5-052.jpg bloody susspension-fc1a2ad0123abcd21a998a5675d435feo.jpg

The two in the middle control the stiffness. The height sensor is attached to the anti-roll bar (4 cyl engine).

Warning - don't fiddle with the height if you are under an unsupported car!!!!! Citroen recommend a 4 post hoist.
    Last edited by seasink; 14th December 2016 at 09:30 PM.
    UFO likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Ok seasink thanks.But where do I get info from /regarding BHI & electrovalves to activate soft/firm position? I am at a loss with info about this model of suspension layoutTomfrog

Fellow Frogger!

I wonder if you are confusing two different issues. In your first post you ask about ride height, and in the last about soft and firm ride.

The height is controlled by the position of the link on the anti roll bar and by the computer.

the firm/soft does not affect the height. the electrovalves are in the body behind the central suspension sphere and controlled by the switch near the gearlever in conjunction with the computer.

if you are clear about what you are trying to achieve then the answer will be clearer too !

Tom,

I think you need to invite someone with a Lexia or Diagbox computer and a sphere pressure tester out to Temora for a few days so you can see do some testing, watch how the suspension works on the computer as you drive around and see a few of the local sights.

Any volunteers?

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Ken.My concern is why has my model got four spheres at the rear and two at the front ?The hard /soft setting cant be activated by swith .BHI problem?not getting signals from height correctors? Model is 09 c5x73+ I cant find any info regarding layout of suspension with two spheres over centre rear subframe.Spheres have been tested. Merry xmas to all froggie fans.tomfrog /PS Issue related to only the x7[3+]?

1000+ Posts

Hydractive 3+ has 4 spheres at the back - two are the wheel springs, and the two in the mddle control firm/soft. At the front there are 3 spheres - the hidden one is down deep in the engine bay on the near (passenger) side. The front height sensor is there too.

The valves that control ride firmness are switched by an "electrovalve" in each centre valve block. The signal comes from the suspension computer, after the cabin switch is operated. In firm mode the middle spheres are isolated.
    bloody susspension-sphere1.jpgbloody susspension-sphere2.jpg

PS The spheres have differing pressures. 50 bars on the front wheel suspension, and 40 on the rear. The central spheres have 70 front and 44 each on the rear. There is a code on the sphere.
    Last edited by seasink; 16th December 2016 at 02:32 PM.

Fellow Frogger

I'm told this is most likely an alignment issue and that it is quite sensitive to the toe setting. Get the correct toe setting value and make sure there is no confusion about the units of measurement and then do a 4 wheel alignment. That assumes nothing is bent or faulty from some sort of impact as you had suggested at one point

Fellow Frogger!

Yes yes David.I think you are on the spot .Last w/a my man said he was having trouble with toe in? correct because of impact damage to left hand front structure I shall revisit him and get more info Thanks a million. Tomfrog.

Fellow Frogger!

David,I spoke with my man and results are as follows. car has hit kerb pushing castor out by 3 degrees,[no agustment] .so it looks like a part replacement. any advice?thanks .tomfrog

Fellow Frogger

Which part is thought to be bent? Or has a bush failed? Left and right should be the same, so some simple measurements may reveal where the problem is. It would need to have been a decent hit for the subframe to have been bent or the upright damaged. The wishbone will move back and forward anyway if the bush at the back has let go. That would let go before the wishbone or subframe bends. Have an assistant see if the wheel moves back and forward a lot when you move the car back and forward. If the wishbone is bent, you replace it, but if the rear bush has failed you either buy a new wishbone with the bush fitted or buy an aftermarket bush assembly. Your car probably has an aluminium subframe, but the wishbone bush is different for aluminium and steel subframes and therefore the complete wishbones are supplied under different part numbers.

Thread Information