• Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Budge
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: Barn engine

Default Barn engine

Found this in a barn.
    Before I try and get a price for it...
    it says DX II (or maybe DX 114) is it a DX2 (2175), or... what is it?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

There should be a sheet metal plate riveted to the other side. That will give you much more information
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

1000+ Posts

Why spoil it with a WebP image?

Sounds like the early DX motor. See CitroenClassics breakdown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barn engine-screen-shot-2016-12-13-8.42.25-am.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

I can't see your photo, but it could be any number of things. I think all the castings for the 19, 20 and 21 were marked "DX114". based on my limited understanding of the DX/ DX2, there are various ways to tell an early block from a later block. From what i can remember:

Early DX block had no tapped lugs on the casting to bolt the starter motor too. Neither did it have an oil pressure switch mounting hole in the oil gallery. There are two different groups of DX engine: "classe 1" and "classe 2". There is a very subtle marking on the casting to help you tell the difference. I think this determines which set of piston barrels and gaskets were needed/ used. They weren't interchangeable. From Sept 67 the lugs for mounting the starter appeared and an oil pressure switch hole was added to the oil gallery. The DX2 engine was introduced in September 68. The main block doesn't seem to have been very different to that used for the DX immediately before it The main change over the DX was in the cylinder head and carb - not the block. (They might all be "classe 2" engines? I've not seen a "classe 1" DX2). The valve sizes in the head were changed - not sure if it was inlet or outlet. there might be other differences in the head casting.

All the above types initially had a plate bolted over the hole where a distributor tower could have been fitted closer to the timing chain end (rather than the pump end). From 71, the covering plate was replaced with a pushed in sealing cap and from (72?) the diameter of that hole was further reduced and the sealing cap was therefore smaller.

Hope this helps!

Paul
    GreenBlood likes this.

1000+ Posts

It would help if the photo were to be posted normally as a jpg. WebP images aren't universally visible.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    It would help if the photo were to be posted normally as a jpg. WebP images aren't universally visible.
    I would suggest the format is a function of storing the image on "google drive"

And 90% of people wouldn't know nor care about the file format anyway.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Yes what a pain. . .

Image converted to .jpeg

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barn engine-dx114a.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

That DX 114 is a part number for the engine block I need to see the digits after the hyphen to determine the type. it could be 5A 5B or 5D
    Cheers Gerry

Hey, sorry about the webp thing.
    I just put it on Google+, as jpg, and it usually references just that, so I didn't check.
    Google's going gaaga lately.

So... it could be anything. Thing is, it's not easy to get close to it, I'd have to move quite a lot of (heavy) stuff... thanks anyway, I'll try and get a better look next time I go there.

Fellow Frogger

It's most likely from a DS21 BVH carby if you look at what is bolted to the inlet manifold. As that is painted green, it should be post 67. Also, the old style 3 x toggle clutch / recessed flywheel suggests it is probably pre-70, although the change to the diaphragm clutch was later in the carb cars than with EFI.
    Last edited by David S; 13th December 2016 at 11:24 PM.
    mberry likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

What's going on under the fuel pump cam? there seems to be some kind of boss coming out of the oil gallery? Nothing to do with an oil cooler is it?

Thread Information