Changing Xantia Speedometer
  • Register
  • Help

Default Changing Xantia Speedometer

Hi everyone

My Xantia is Xantia II 2.0i16v, I just found one a new 240km/h Sagem speedometers, Can I change it with my normal 220km/h speedometer? Can it shows the right speed on my car?

Advertisement

Changing Xantia Speedometer-20161211_173200.jpg

JBN

Do you really care whether you are doing 220kph or 240kph? At that speed I would be looking out of the windscreen, not at the speedo. The odd peek through the rear vision mirror might also be prudent.

Perhaps one disadvantage of a speedo with a higher range is that the increments between the legal 40kph, 50kph, 60kph, 70kph and 80kph become smaller and more difficult to discern. The Citroen CX was fantastic in this regard, showing ONLY the speed at which the car was travelling, not the rest of the menu of speeds possible.

John

can the car do 240??? Why do want to go that fast anyway? Surely it would be dangerous and somewhat demanding on the vehicle.

I don't really understand how all of this works, but I thought there might be an issue with the BSI refusing to recognise the new speedo - ie, to prevent people faking the mileage on cars by just swapping in a speedo with lower mileage odo? Or is that info part of the BSI and the odo just displays whatever the BSI says the mileage is?

The instrument panel in a Series II Xantia has its own ECU that manages all the gauges. It gets the speed info from the engine ECU. If this Sagem speedo is from a Series II it might work OK if the Instrument ECU has a late enough software pack to recognise the different units - you would just have to try it.

I had my instrument panel off when I bought my Activa to reset the tacho back to 0 from 9000 rpm. I also took the PCB off the back of the gauges and cleaned up all the pressure contacts to the gauges. Pity I forgot to change the blown low beam and high beam indicator lights while it was out - someday maybe.

PS I have worked out a much easier non-intrusive way to reset speedo and tacho to 0 if you ever find one that has wrapped right around.

Cheers, Ken

I don`t really want to drive 220 or 240km/h, I only want to know that this speedometer shows me right 80 or 100 km/h or not because we have speed cameras here everywhere. I just found this instrumental panel new in the package, It is Xantia II panel and I think that having a different instrumental panel is interesting.

Thanks Ken, If I understand good I must see first that my ECU can calibrate 240 km/h speedometers or not. If they getting speed and mileage from ECU I guess it can shows me true mileage too.

Also my car don`t have Oil temp gauge now in my instrumental panel, I must install it`s sensor to my oil sump but about wiring I guess its wires are in the left side harness, anyone have the oil temp gauge harness map for Xantia II? place and color of it`s socket? I have some free sockets on my harness and don`t know witch is for oil temp gauge or oil level gauge.

Cheers...

Houtan,

In my experience, the Xantia speedos read about 3% fast. This is easy to check using a GPS set to show speed as measured by the satellites.

Cheers, Ken

And about oil tepm. gauge can you tell me where is it`s socket near the engine in witch color?

Mine reads about 9% fast so I just go 9% faster.

I have two different speedo apps on the phone as a check. Two because they both read different speeds. Add them together and divide by two.

Go figure!

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

My Series 2 Xantia with the oil temp gauge is on loan to another member of the family so its a bit difficult for me to go have a look.

Cheers, Ken

Thread Information