Welding DS camshaft pulley
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By citroenthusiast
  • 1 Post By citroenthusiast

Thread: Welding DS camshaft pulley

Default Welding DS camshaft pulley

Hello, has anyone bothered doing this? If I get the MIG out, where should I weld? Around the splined central hub? Or around the outside of the riveted part?

Thanks

Peter

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

If you are talking about reinforcing the pulley, the approach I use is to make a disk with a hole in it that gets welded to the central hub, then to the seam where the part with the holes meets the outer flange. Go in small sections (maybe 1 inch long) around the large diameter so you don't warp the pulley. I also weld the rivets to the hub, just to make sure. This is what it looks like finished

Welding DS camshaft pulley-ds-reinforced-pulley.jpg
    badabec likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Over the years, many people have just tack welded half a dozen spots where the pulley plate meets the reinforcing boss that the rivets go through.

Do the dance. Do the Daffyduck dance using the Aussiefrogs app. Be real happy if you can.

You'll need to make sure its in balance. the previous owner of my car welded it and it wobbles at idle. I have another one to put on the car when I get a chance.
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH
    http://www.classicjalopy.com

Fellow Frogger!

Interesting location for mounting the A/C compressor. Do you have any more detailed shots? i can't imagine that it would work on my injected engine. i suspect there wouldn't be enough room. How is access to the distributor?

Robin

No problem with access to the distributor. The alternator is shorter than the air conditioning compressor and a bit further out, so it doesn't interfere with the distributor (much). Here is a photo from the side. Note that this car requires a (not so rare) two groove water pump, although a superfluous 3-groove pump is installed. The back belt goes around the A/C compressor only to drive the compressor. The front belt (with the ribs) goes around the alternator and A/C compressor to drive the alternator.

Welding DS camshaft pulley-ac-compressor-relocated.jpg
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hoffmann View Post
    Interesting location for mounting the A/C compressor. Do you have any more detailed shots? i can't imagine that it would work on my injected engine. i suspect there wouldn't be enough room. How is access to the distributor?

Robin
    I recently tuned that car. Piece of cake. The whole install is well done and no problem to work around.

Do the dance. Do the Daffyduck dance using the Aussiefrogs app. Be real happy if you can.

Fellow Frogger!

Peter
    Just read something in this months Citroenian about this very thing

Fellow Frogger

Interesting AC setup. That's a fairly small area of belt contact. Does it ever slip or is it made a bit tighter to compensate?

Was the pulley riveted together because the hub and pulley wheel are dissimilar metals and they didn't ant to weld them? I can't recall, but is the hub a cast iron item? You could probably tighten the rivets by heating and peening the heads.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Interesting AC setup. That's a fairly small area of belt contact. Does it ever slip or is it made a bit tighter to compensate?

Was the pulley riveted together because the hub and pulley wheel are dissimilar metals and they didn't ant to weld them? I can't recall, but is the hub a cast iron item? You could probably tighten the rivets by heating and peening the heads.

You have to look carefully. There are two belts. The rear belt makes about 90 degrees of contact with the compressor. The front belt makes about 100 degrees of contact with the alternator. (The compressor is just the idler pulley for the alternator belt).

My guess is Citroen rivetted the assembly so the thin metal wouldn't warp. When reinforcing it, you need to weld a series of small beads, rather than a full stitch weld to avoid warping the whole thing and ruining it.
    David S likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

FWIW, here is a drawing I made of the front mounting bracket. The rear bracket is the same except for a 9mm hole rather than a slot at the bottom. I didn't make a drawing of the alternator mount but it basically mounts between two of the ears on the top of the compressor.

Welding DS camshaft pulley-ds-air-conditioner-sd508-front-.jpg
    Cheers,
    John T.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the info! Robin

On her own four wheels after spline failure at 530,000 miles. Purrs like a kitten with a reground DX2 cam and 8 new lifters.

Last edited by daffyduck; 18th December 2016 at 03:25 PM.

Thread Information