2010 C5 Rear Suspension Height
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By UFO

Thread: 2010 C5 Rear Suspension Height

Icon8 2010 C5 Rear Suspension Height

I recently had a tow bar fitted to my 2010 C5. Unfortunately, on coupling the trailer to the car on my first trip to the tip, I failed to check that the tow ball really was properly connected to the trailer tow ball socket. And so after about 25 metres, the trailer became uncoupled and as I slowed down, the A frame ran underneath the rear of the car and became locked behind the towbar assembly . I raised the suspension to extract the trailer which I managed to do with some difficulty, and then noticed that once the vehicle was returned to its normal ride height, the rear was considerably lower than it should be. I tried raising and lowering the suspension in case it would default to the proper position, but it didn't. As I live 300kms south of Perth, I phoned Allpike who were not very helpful and simply told me that it should be ok to drive and that I should bring it in to them, and that resetting the suspension and computer would take up to 2 hours.

So I crawled under the car and noticed that there was a clamp on the centre of what I think is the anti-sway bar, and it had a couple of links connecting it to what looked like a valve arrangement on the chassis. I surmised that this controlled the ride height setting and had probably been knocked when the trailer A frame ran underneath. So I started the engine, slacked of the clamp, and twisted it gently back and forth and found that the car would rise and fall accordingly. A friend who has an identical model told me that the distance from the ground to the top of the wheel arch through the wheel centre was 720mm. I managed to set mine at 715mm, and it has stayed like that for the last week. Is that all I need to do? Should I take it in to Allpike and let them fiddle with it further?? The ride is absolutely normal, so I can't see that I really have a problem. other than the rear ride height is maybe 5mm lower than it should be.

Grateful for any thoughts/advice.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

You have found the rear ride height sensor. 2010 C5 Rear Suspension Height-sensor.jpg

2010 C5 Rear Suspension Height-screenshot-10.jpg 2010 C5 Rear Suspension Height-screenshot-2.jpg

Allen,

So long as it seems to be working OK, I would be tempted to just keep driving it.

Cheers, Ken

1000+ Posts

Hi
    I had a C5 that had been raised a little for normal use on dirt roads by that method I think. Worked Ok and was better that the original height for general use. Leave it, I did and it is probably still working well.
    HOWEVER I WILL CAUTION PEOPLE ABOUT YOUR ADJUSTMENT METHOD. Never adjust the height sensors with the car switched on or running without the car supported SO IT CANNOT COME DOWN ON YOU. You only need to kill yourself once to be dead.
    Just do it a bit at a time safely on stands and then try it. If you slip and make a big adjustment it will not kill or injure you. Better an hour on the driveway than a month in hospital OR DEAD FOREVER.
    Jaahn
    citroenthusiast likes this.

1000+ Posts

Indeed. Citroen manuals have these height adjustments done with the car up on a four post hoist. You can measure heights to "ground", and it cannot drop on you.

UFO

Glad you fixed your problem, but you are very fortunate to be able to tell us the story.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I take your point. However I was very careful and found that by lying at right angles to the vehicle, I could reach the clamp without actually being under the car, apart from my arm. Hope I never have to do it again anyway. The C5 goes in to have its timing belt and water pump changed on Friday (75,000 kms), so I will have a further talk with them about the suspension height. Think I need to talk to the mechanic who actually does the work. Thanks to everyone who responded.

UFO

For more information please read this post

Hydraulic Citroen Safety - also applies in part to other cars
    GreenBlood likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

What? No safety chains on the trailer! I've just re-commissioned a trailer that was dormant for 30 years in the back yard and the first item that was fixed was the ball securing mechanism and the chains!

Nevertheless, what's 5 mm between friends. I would not worry about it.

JAJEA

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I recently had a tow bar fitted to my 2010 C5. Unfortunately, on coupling the trailer to the car on my first trip to the tip, I failed to check that the tow ball really was properly connected to the trailer tow ball socket. And so after about 25 metres, the trailer became uncoupled and as I slowed down, the A frame ran underneath the rear of the car and became locked behind the towbar assembly . I raised the suspension to extract the trailer which I managed to do with some difficulty, and then noticed that once the vehicle was returned to its normal ride height, the rear was considerably lower than it should be. I tried raising and lowering the suspension in case it would default to the proper position, but it didn't. As I live 300kms south of Perth, I phoned Allpike who were not very helpful and simply told me that it should be ok to drive and that I should bring it in to them, and that resetting the suspension and computer would take up to 2 hours.

So I crawled under the car and noticed that there was a clamp on the centre of what I think is the anti-sway bar, and it had a couple of links connecting it to what looked like a valve arrangement on the chassis. I surmised that this controlled the ride height setting and had probably been knocked when the trailer A frame ran underneath. So I started the engine, slacked of the clamp, and twisted it gently back and forth and found that the car would rise and fall accordingly. A friend who has an identical model told me that the distance from the ground to the top of the wheel arch through the wheel centre was 720mm. I managed to set mine at 715mm, and it has stayed like that for the last week. Is that all I need to do? Should I take it in to Allpike and let them fiddle with it further?? The ride is absolutely normal, so I can't see that I really have a problem. other than the rear ride height is maybe 5mm lower than it should be.

Grateful for any thoughts/advice.

Tadpole

I had a Xantia when they first came out in the UK and on one of our caravanning trips the back of the car decided to lift up to maximum height and then down to really low in a constant cycle as we were driving along the motorway. The problem was a broken $2 plastic link on the rear height sensor.

Ah! That's what really started me on my love of Citroens. We went to the UK when we retired in 1997 and bought a delightful Compass caravan. The Caravan Club had just awarded the TDi Xantia "Towcar of the Year", so we thought. That's what we'll tow it wiyh. Bought a 3 y.o one with 48,000 miles on the clock. It towed us and the 'van around the UK and Europe for the next 3 1/2 years with utter reliability apart from the usual brake pad replacements and, a few new spheres, and towards the end, a new set of glow plugs. We sold it in late 2000. Then in 2004 we went back to the UK and bought another Xantia and Compass, and drove that for about 6 months. We bought the caravan (but not the car) back to W.A, and then towed it around Australia behind a Commmodore (which was a lot thirstier). In 2007 we went back again to the UK and bought a 2000 automatic Xantia for 1800 quid. Fantastic car. An absolute delight to drive. My favourite car ever. Left it there for 4 years (we came and went) but was refused permission to bring it back to Oz, on the grounds that although we had owned it for over 4 years, we had not been resident in the UK continuously for 12 months. Broke my heart. But the C5 is a great car, we love the comfort. As I'm now nearly 82, I guess it will see me out. Hope so.
    Mind you, I can remember my father bringing a "traction avant" Light 15 home in Sydney for a trial run after the war and was fascinated by it. As a 12 year old, I so hoped he would buy one, but for what ever reason, he didn't. Don't know why. Think we wound up with a Singer Super 12 instead. Well it did have a roll-up holland blind in the rear window!

Looks as if the rear needs to be raised a little. I'll see what Allpike say on Friday. But it looks perfectly ok and is a mere 5 mm lower than the C5 my friend owns. Many thanks for the info.

Thread Information