2010 C5 X7 Rear Pads Binding
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gar du Nord

Thread: 2010 C5 X7 Rear Pads Binding

Tadpole

Default 2010 C5 X7 Rear Pads Binding

Just bought a 2010 C5X7 sedan with 96,000kms and the rear pads were only about 2mm thick so bought some Mintex ones from the UK as I like that brand. Released the electric parking brake, screwed the pistons back in, with pointed nose pliers and bit of elbow force, as far as necessary to fit new pads. First trip at speed produced burning smell from driver's side rear pads. Took car to dealer asking if electric brake needs resetting with OBD, but they said they have never needed to reset electric brakes on the computer, so checked and adjusted elec parking brake cables and said all should be fine. Subsequent trips still produced very hot pads, but as they wore down the heat got less until after 5000kms the pads on the driver's side have worn right down to 2mm and no longer get hot. At one point I swapped the pads over from left to right axle, but that just started the whole thing off again. Dealer is puzzled and said they want to fit a new caliper for $850!
    Has anyone got any ideas please?
    Thanks,
    Gar

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

It sounds like a binding handbrake adjustment mechanism in the caliper. It happens. They can be stripped.

The electric brake just pulls until the the cables are tight. Never let it operate disconnected or it will overpull and wreck itself.

Tadpole

Excellent, thanks seasink. I saw a thread somewhere about dismantling a caliper, so will read up.

1000+ Posts

Get yourself a piston rewind tool. Cheap as chips on eBay. $20 something. Be very careful with the auto brake being off, as it is ruinously expensive.

Fellow Frogger

I'll just reinforce the warning about the electric handbrake. It must be disabled or the battery disconnected when you change the rear pads or you run the risk of someone doing something to the car and seeing it operate and overrun. They cost more than enough from Citroen to outweigh your DIY savings for years!

Fellow Frogger!

Strip and overhaul the caliper. Not hard to do.

Tadpole

Thanks all,
    I'll let you know how I get on.

Tadpole

I suggested I strip the caliper but the Citroen mechanic said it's not a good idea on this caliper. Then they said they could supply and fit a new caliper on the aftermarket warranty I have, and to top it off the dealer decided to give me new pads f.o.c. as well! I'm not sure why they gave me free pads, it might have been because I'd been in twice for them to sort the problem out and they'd been unable to rectify anything? Not complaining now Brakes are now nice and cool.
    David M likes this.

Did they tell you WHY all is now nice and cool? Just curious.

Great to get it done on the warranty, and correct of course. Nice outcome.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

If you don't wind the piston in all the way when replacing pads they will bind

Sent from my F1f using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thread Information