Interior door handles DS....... Australian version. - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Interior door handles DS....... Australian version.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Leconte View Post
    Hi guys,

Slightly off topic but related. I have one rear passenger door that won't lock from inside, hence the door is always open. I admittedly haven't done deep investigation but what is likely to be the problem and how difficult is it to get to everything? Do I have to take out the glass? I had the door trim off but could not feel my way around to the front of the door where the interior handle is. Note this on a 1962 Aussie ID19.

Regards,
    Leconte
    I finally got around to fixing this today. It turned out that the control rod between the interior door handle mechanism and the lock plate was bowed and flopping around a bit. When winding the window up the window mechanism was catching the rod in the middle and pulling it up with the window, with the result that the rod was caught and taut and unable to lock the door.

Advertisement

After feeling around a bit between the inside door skin and the window glass, and thinking it through, i decided I needed to drill some small holes in the inner door skin (under the trim and in a couple of the reinforcing recesses) and put a loop through to hold the rod close to the inner door skin and away from the window mechanism. I used a couple of mini plastic cable ties (really small black ones i use in desktop pc's to secure wires) and looped them through 2 holes each, around the rod and back out again, tied on the outside of the inner skin in the recess. I found the control rod had a hand-sewn cloth cover on it that i later worked out was for sound deadening (clatter on the window or door) and I removed that so that the plastic ties would slide freely on the metal rod and not snag on the material. To reinstate the sound deadening I put a strip of 50mm cloth tape on the inside of the inner skin running parallel to the rod.

Put it all back together and now I have a lockable door, window up or down. The car will be called into service for my daughter's wedding in April so I will need to be able to lock and leave it secure.

Also this weekend fitted a NOS pair of Marchal 7 inch headlights from Europe and new halogen globes from classic and vintage bulbs in Adelaide. Another minor drama, the six little fixing and adjustment screws on the existing headlights (3 each side) did not fit the new lights ( in spite of careful ordering) so I had to rob them off my 65 car and will have to get replacements. No matter how careful we are with checking and ordering parts there are so many minor variations (dozens of different 7inch ts in this period for example) just waiting to trip us up.

Cheers leconte
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

Hi leconte,
    I'm not sure about the early doors but on the later doors there is a clip on the inside of the top inner door frame to hold the actuation rod. If it's there you would see two pop rivets that hold it to the inner skin.

This is the dwg. for the late door - Part No. 24

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

Did I take that photo Chris or am I officially insane?

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Did I take that photo Chris or am I officially insane?
    Your photo Steven, best image I could find of the clip - appropriated from your resto thread
    (Royalty cheque is in the mail). . .

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Hi Guys,

I have posted this before.......

Firstly the rear tongue on Australian cars was shorter, as the longer tongue collides with our headrest mounting arms.

Our design rules also said that unlocking and opening the rear door couldn't be in one operation, so our rear handle was made so you have to press the small flap behind the tongue, and then pull the tongue backwards. It generally required a two handed operation, and was a pain in the arse, and you had back seat passengers that could'n work out how to open the door.

I can't remember what was different about the front handles, as all the ones I have, you open them in a single action.

The interior handles on flush outer door handles are different to the earlier outer handle.

There are two methods of removing the pin from the handle to disassemble them:

Weld a small crown onto the top of the pin with a mig, and if you can get the weld too bite into the top of the pin, then pull the pin out. This can often lead to some destruction of the handle where the pin is fitted, but it is the underside of the handle.

My preferred method is mark the exact opposite side of the pin on the top of the handle, and drill a 3mm hole. You only have to go down about 4-5mm.

Using a 3mm pin punch, knock the pin out.

To repair the hole, put a small taper on a short piece of 3.4mm alloy welding rod, and knock it back into the hole, ensuring a tight fit.

A little super glue on the underside to ensure it stays there. If there is too much protrusion on the inside, use a drill the diameter of the pin to remove the excess.

On the top side cut any excess off, and file and sand the top to a smooth surface.

I have had a couple of handle that have been chromed and ended with a microscopic ring where the plug was fitted, but most chrome without a blemish.

On the other hand, I've seen some handles that have had the pin removed and there area around the pin totally mutilated.

Hope this helps?

Best regards,

Greg
    Mort Subite likes this.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Hi Guys,

Our design rules also said that unlocking and opening the rear door couldn't be in one operation, so our rear handle was made so you have to press the small flap behind the tongue, and then pull the tongue backwards. It generally required a two handed operation, and was a pain in the arse, and you had back seat passengers that could'n work out how to open the door.

I can't remember what was different about the front handles, as all the ones I have, you open them in a single action.
    My cars 1968 and French. It has the short tongues on all handles. All four doors lock and unlock with the little nib. They don't lock automatically when you shut the door. You don't have to lock them - so can just shut and open in a single action, but if you lock them, then opening is a two stage process - nib then lever.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information