Bolt for Safari rear Strut
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Bolt for Safari rear Strut

Does anyone have the bolt or it's spec's for the strut to attach to the upper part of the rear tailgate of a DS Safari, mine has seemed to have gone bush.

Advertisement

Billsafari

Fellow Frogger!

hi Bill, the correct bolt is 7mm in diameter, the thread in the tailgate for mine was damaged so I tapped it out to M8 and used an 8mm bolt. I'm not sure of the length, you should be able to determine that easily enough

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hmm,

well a '73 wagon is going to have different thread pitches to Peters early ID19 safari. Anyway the answer is to find another bolt on the car that screws into here, then go into you local "bolts 'n' fasteners" type shop with that bolt and get a packet of the same bolts (or just the one if you wish ). Early cars with the wierd thread pitch are more difficult .

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by petermelb
    hi Bill, the correct bolt is 7mm in diameter, the thread in the tailgate for mine was damaged so I tapped it out to M8 and used an 8mm bolt. I'm not sure of the length, you should be able to determine that easily enough
    hi Peter, are you sure it's 7mm...that sounds a little light in size (diameter) for a bolt to hold the gas strut to the tailgate. You are probably right...anyway...it's likely to be just a normal metric thread...whatever it's size is.
    As far as pitch goes...hmm..there's only about 12 different metric pitches out there. Is it a course or fine thread?
    Good luck.
    Cheers...George.

UFO

George

It is not a gas strut. It is a tube in tube with a spring in the middle arrangement.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

I got the size from an early ID safari parts catalouge, the tube the bolt passes through has an internal diameter of 7.5 mm

the bolt on my safari was damaged so i repleced it with an 8mm bolt, and tapped out the hole to suit

the thread in the top of the hatch is passes right through then hatch to the outside and is used as one of the three external securing bolts.

if you are still unsure of the thread size, i would suggest removing on of the three (each side) external hatch securing bolts and finding a suitable length bolt the same thread.

Thread Information