XM by Steven King?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default XM by Steven King?

This car is really weird, it's almost like it's coming back to life. It's not a high milage car, but it's been around the block, yet it's almost like bits of it have never been used. One of the radiator cooling fans had been hot wired to a manual on/off switch and the other seemed dead. Working on the inside of the car I heard this unfamiliar noise, checked and the `dead' fan had switched itself on. Ok, almost certainly a relay with a bad contact that I'd disturbed when I replaced the starter motor relay........... My thoughts at this time (5-30 in the morning) are to renew all the relays back of the headlamps, and fit new sockets too. The engine bay gets VERY hot, and I reckon the chances are that one or more relays could test ok on the bench, but get intermittant open circuit faults when plugged and fully warmed up.
    I'm still going to have to pull the starter motor; although the soloniod closes every time now, it sometimes needs more than one `click' to make the circuit when hot but at least it will start when hot now.

Thanks people for all your help,

Advertisement

Jim.

Hi Jim,

Not sure how old your XM is, but removing the relays and cleaning the contacts may be all that is required. Even if it is not required it can't hurt! Finding a switch to bypass the fan relay sounds like a pervious owner has bodged a quick fix.

regards
    sean

Jim,
    May be worth checking the fan switch in the radiator. If its the same as the BX layout, one high speed fan works off the higher temp contactwith only the relay signal current flowing through that contact of the switch. The low speed circuit puts both fans in series with full motor current flowing through the low temp contact of the switch. When the high speed cuts in the fans operate in parallel, still with full current from one fan running through the lower temp contact. Its not uncommon for the switch to fail on this circuit due to the high load across the contacts. Easily checked by disconnecting the plug at the radiator and bridging between the two thick wires, both fans should start at low speed. Connecting the thin wire to earth should see a single fan start up at high speed. Doing both simultaneously should have both fans at high speed. The switch unit itself can be checked with a multimeter and a shallow pan of hot water.
    Ian

Tadpole

Default Thanks guys

Thanks Ian, thanks Sean,

I'll make the checks you suggest, but first I'm going to trace this `add on' wire back and see how it's connected to the fan. Could be that whoever did this simply cut the original fan supply wire. If this is the case, replacing relays and checking/replacing the radiator switch could with any luck be all that's needed. Car is a series 2 XM Exclusive V6 auto Estate. Basically well cared for up I think to when the garage that bought the car sold it to the guy I bought it from. I don't think he bodged it; I've got to know the guy and it seems like it was done by the garage.

Hey, then I can get to figure out why the heated front seats don't heat up (back ones do ok) and why the cruise control doesn't work. Previous owner says it did, but he only tried it once. Still curious about fuse 8; it's marked in the book as a spare, rated 25 amps. I've been told that it changes the language in the information panel on the dashboard, but that it should be lower amperage than 25. There's current across the contacts, but I'm wary of just sticking a 25 amp fuse in without knowing where the power's going. Does anyone have fuse 8 fitted?

Regards,

Jim.

Thread Information