Trx 210/55
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Trx 210/55

Default Trx 210/55

This is how you get your tyres.
    order them on line Thursday and they arrive Monday to your door. From the UK!
    Having put up with very hard and cracked rear tyres for far to long it was time to do something about it and the timing felt good with the better exchange rate.
    Trx 210/55-image.jpg

Advertisement

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IE23 View Post
    This is how you get your tyres.
    order them on line Thursday and they arrive Monday to your door. From the UK!
    Having put up with very hard and cracked rear tyres for far to long it was time to do something about it and the timing felt good with the better exchange rate.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	87889
    Well, better (very) late than never I suppose. ('hard and cracked' is way past replacement time)

One wonders about the fronts. What is their manufacturing date?

A potential buyer is advised to check - if this is the CX.

cheers! Peter

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Well, better (very) late than never I suppose. ('hard and cracked' is way past replacement time)

cheers! Peter
    For all those many potential buyers knocking my door down the fronts (now to be rear) are near new, don't you worry about that.

Adrian

Current;

Past;

DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post

cheers! Peter
    It's a shame ... TRX's are so eye wateringly expensive.... Worse tire I've ever driven on in my life ( fitted to Fuegos). They define aquaplane quite well.

I wonder if you could get those nice "T"urbo wheels refitted to a 16" rim and get away from the TRX's

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I've driven a Pug 504 and a CX on them and found them really good. Driving out on the new TRXs on the 504 it was like driving a different and much better car. The CX was like driving a smooth riding go kart. Granted, the difference between wet and dry grip was more marked but that is the case for all performance tires. They hang on so well in the dry and better than normal in the wet, just the difference is more.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I've driven a Pug 504 and a CX on them and found them really good. Driving out on the new TRXs on the 504 it was like driving a different and much better car. The CX was like driving a smooth riding go kart. Granted, the difference between wet and dry grip was more marked but that is the case for all performance tires. They hang on so well in the dry and better than normal in the wet, just the difference is more.
    The feel to aquaplane from puddle to puddle to me. Maybe the CX has enough nose weight to make them work. Certainly they were downright terrifying on a greasy road on a fuego. I've never seen a Fuego that wasn't crashed in the nose where it headed bush at the first sign of rain.( or slid into the car infront).
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Shane,
    once the new tyres are fitted you're welcome to test drive it, then maybe it will change your opinion.

Personally I think the handling characteristic of the CX Turbo on the TRX's is superb. I'm not overly keen to go out in a storm but should I then I'll report back further on the wet handling.

Adrian

Current;

Past;

DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Quote Originally Posted by IE23 View Post
    Shane,
    once the new tyres are fitted you're welcome to test drive it, then maybe it will change your opinion.

Personally I think the handling characteristic of the CX Turbo on the TRX's is superb. I'm not overly keen to go out in a storm but should I then I'll report back further on the wet handling.
    ER,..... Nah, I wouldn't recommend performance testing a TRX on a wet or greasy road
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

-74 DS23 bvh, -78 CXgti, -85 CXgtiT1

I remember forking out on 2 new TRX for the front to replace some very old ones with sidewall cracks, but feeling that the improvement with new tyres wasn't exactly game changing.

It's the diravi steering that saves the day in the wet. Just have to remember don't react and don't steer if hitting a wet patch unexpectedly - the steering gets you through not the tyres as you aqua plane

Cheers

Marc
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

1000+ Posts

A few comments on various above posts:

Not all performance tyres have a marked drop off in performance from dry roads to wet.

I am surprised to hear of aquaplaning with the regular "V" block TRX. Aquaplaning is primarily a water evacuation matter & it looks to have good drainage both longitudinally & laterally. I haven't had it raised as a particular problem before. But:

To be distinguished from aquaplaning is poor wet grip on merely slick or "greasy" roads (as opposed to standing water - like puddles - or streaming wet roads). In such conditions the TRX has a poor reputation & is notorious for being very hard-compounded. Good for longevity but not for the desired "rubber" deformation to interlock with micro surface irregularities. There's a marked drop off from dry road grip to grip in such slick conditions according to most advice I've had.

The TRX is, however, a beautifully structured tyre that manages good handling crispness with good bump compliance.

I imagine that the Fuego had the quite differently patterned (although also hard-compounded) TRXas. This has appallingly bad longitudinal drainage & every chance of aquaplaning.

Of course the current TRX range has compounds chosen from Michelin's current palette but I gather that the original design priority given to longevity over wet grip is maintained. (An error in my view, as most of these tyres are now on low-use classic cars & the tyres will date-expire before wearing out.)

I generally recommend putting new tyres on the back & the older ones on the front. There are two reasons for this:

First, this increases the chance that, if cornering too fast, it will be the front, not the rear, that slides & most people's reactions to going too fast around a corner (lifting off) is the correct one for a front end slide but not for a rear end one.

Second, if one is not going to rotate the tyres, then having the ones with the more degraded compound on the faster wearing end of the car means that the older tyres will chop out first.

cheers! Peter

Interesting opposite advice. Yeah but no, I'm not doing that!

I'd much rather have competent braking and steering.

Oversteering in a CX is more manageable than understeering. From both experiences in a CX oversteering can be corrected simply by keep pointing the wheels in the direct you want to go and keep the acceleration on, the back has no choice then to tuck in line.
    Understeering through a corner can result in you being on the other side of the road, putting you in harms way of oncoming traffic. If you are going too fast when this happens there is little that can be done apart from lifting off and waiting for some grip before steering again.

Adrian

Current;

Past;

DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

1000+ Posts

Fine. It sounds like you are on top of your vehicle's handling profile & relevant interventions. Nice to hear it but not a lot of people are; thus the advice I generally (not always) give. (The original post's information about the state of your rear tyres didn't seem to suggest a great deal of interest in a car's dynamics.)

cheers! Peter

Thread Information