• Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By gerrypro
  • 1 Post By Vincenzo
  • 2 Post By bleudanube

Thread: Greenblood 1: Blue Danube 0

Default Greenblood 1: Blue Danube 0

Ok, I had to give up. The bloody whitewall inserts have been driving me crazy. Every weekend the stains are back and are starting to look grubby.... So today I bit the bullet (reluctantly I must admit... I do still like the look) and pulled them out.

Greenblood 1: Blue Danube 0-image.jpg

More a close up of the marks. And almost impossible to remove...

Advertisement

So now the car looks boring I find. Standard. In the box... And that's not really me I was to drive a design goddess, not some French poodle.....

A sad day....

Anyway, at least the car still drives and that's what it is all about....

the fabric for my back seats has also finally arrived, so next week I should be able to drop the car off and get it finished. Carpet and rear seats will make it more livable and then the four of us can go on trips!

By the way Chris (or else) - does anyone know where my resto blog went? It dropped off the website and I can't find it in completed restos either. Yes, the car is almost done, but I might add more comments as I go....

Sven

Quite frankly, I don't like add on white walls. They chafe the side walls of the tyre as well as looking cheap and nasty. You have a beautiful car-----looks fabulous! Why gild the lily?
    Cheers Gerry

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by bleudanube View Post
    Ok, I had to give up. The bloody whitewall inserts have been driving me crazy. Every weekend the stains are back and are starting to look grubby.... So today I bit the bullet (reluctantly I must admit... I do still like the look) and pulled them out.

By the way Chris (or else) - does anyone know where my resto blog went? It dropped off the website and I can't find it in completed restos either. Yes, the car is almost done, but I might add more comments as I go....

Sven
    Your resto thread >> http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...ml#post1460622 <<

Shame about the whitewalls, I really liked them

Actually I don't mind whitewalls but a much finer line, if I can be honest the ones you have/had were a bit over the top. All comes down to personal taste, and my opinion is probably informed by how I remember the cars back in the 70's. . .

Looks like the Nankang Retro do a nice fine whitewall but so far only in 165 15 at this time.
    Nankang 165R15 Retro White Side Wall - Antique Tyres

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Greenblood 1: Blue Danube 0-nankang-retro-whitewall-165-15.jpg  
    Kenfuego likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

" So now the car looks boring I find. Standard. In the box... And that's not really me I was to drive a design goddess, not some French poodle....."

Nice car anyway! But I know how you feel, and I also think the Ds is better served in its Pallas guise. I know it is frowned upon by the purists, but why not add a bit of Pallas trim to your car to make YOU feel good.....When I was a teenager and new DS were all around, lots of owners would customise their cars with options and accessories, so why not now ?
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 13th August 2016 at 07:13 PM. Reason: typo
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Your resto thread >> http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...ml#post1460622 <<

Shame about the whitewalls, I really liked them

Actually I don't mind whitewalls but a much finer line, if I can be honest the ones you have/had were a bit over the top. All comes down to personal taste, and my opinion is probably informed by how I remember the cars back in the 70's. . .

Looks like the Nankang Retro do a nice fine whitewall but so far only in 165 15 at this time.
    Nankang 165R15 Retro White Side Wall - Antique Tyres

Cheers
    Chris
    I'm with you Chris, only had one set of whitewalls on a car way back when replacement tyres were hard to get in the 50's and all I could buy was some whitewall US tyres with the thin whitewalls as part of the tyre, loved them on my car of that time, but when they wore out/retired injured I could not get replacements so I tried some of the whitewall inserts, like those and the damn things wrinkled and used to flap and yes got incredibly stained in service for the short time I had them fitted - don't think I ever took a photograph of them (or the original thin line ones) That latter experience put me of whitewalls forever!!

Nice car.

Ken

To each their own flavour ...

Q: Are whitewalls a French / European thing or American?
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    I'm with you Chris, only had one set of whitewalls on a car way back when replacement tyres were hard to get in the 50's and all I could buy was some whitewall US tyres with the thin whitewalls as part of the tyre,
    Ken
    Integral Whitewalls are a completely different ball game!
    Kenfuego likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

White walls are like spats for shoes, and nobody wears those anymore, and if you did unless you are considerably good looking you may well feel a bit conspicuous.
    The next thing was vinyl roofs which are like a toupee and nobody....
    I do think white walls (and vinyl roofs) look cool on cars in period photos, like for instance the 1955 motor show DS - it is part of the allure. I would think that the cut off point for white walls would be about the early 60's. The cut off point for toupee's? maybe when you had some hair.
    cheers Tony

So... as long as I have hair, my orig vinyl roof meets with your approval? Just checking... ;-)
    CXVingtCinq likes this.
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

for what its worth Sven I like your car better without the whitewalls! A blue roof would make it perfect! You don't have to worry about cleaning those whitwalls now do you? : )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	87811

Views:	140 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	87812

So now the car looks boring I find. Standard. In the box... And that's not really me I was to drive a design goddess, not some French poodle.....

Views:	155 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	87813

A sad day....

Views:	151 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	87814

the fabric for my back seats has also finally arrived, so next week I should be able to drop the car off and get it finished. Carpet and rear seats will make it more livable and then the four of us can go on trips!

Sven
    Looks so much better without

I also think it looks fantastic without the whitewalls Sven. Don't know for sure or why but I always associate whitewalls with American cars rather than European. Regardless, the blue with white roof is very nice.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Views:	138 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	87811

Views:	140 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	87812

Views:	155 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	87813

A sad day....

Views:	151 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	87814

Sven
    I might have shared this "secret" before, however, If its a proper painted/coloured rubber whitewall trim the time honoured professional Cheat is to use a little "JIF" (aka "CIF" or 'Vim") cream cleanser and a piece of damp clean toweling to clean and buff all whitewall trims. Can also use simple bicarbonate soda paste (it pre dates the 1960s domestic ready made cream/paste cleansers) if the surfactants are a concern (JIF can subs up like crazy !).

This needs doing regularly as they (including unpainted tyre rubber) attract lots of road grime that goes unnoticed on an all black tyre. The more whitewall you have the quicker they get road dirty...

The 'original recipe' was to use saddle soap / parafin wax for all leather and rubber. I use nothing but boot polish on black tyres as this also feeds the oils in the rubber.

I was taught this nearly 30 years ago by very old men who were driving in the late 1920s, taking over from the horse n carriage drivers.

Sent from my LG-D855 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Thanks for all the "encouragement" and cheers for removing the pesky inserts. As mentioned before, I tried JIF, degreaser, soap, wonder sponges... Nothing worked.
    But, am over them already. Have been driving the car and I am not missing the flapping noise from the inserts. Am getting used to black tyres quickly. All good. Car is off to the trimmer on Monday finally to finish the back seat and carpets. Then it is done!

Sven
    GreenBlood and CXVingtCinq like this.

Thread Information