• 1 Post By Budge
  • 1 Post By badabec
  • 3 Post By badabec
  • 1 Post By deesse
  • 2 Post By badabec
  • 1 Post By badabec

Thread: What have I done?

Default What have I done?

The ambulance showed its displeasure at being moved from the south of France to GB by bleeding to death as I drove it off the trailer.
    It also came with a standard Safari roof, two extra front seats, the rear bench and two strapontins.
    It still has the bell as well as the blue flashing light. No stretcher, but it does have the seat for Naughty Nurse Catheter to attend to the patient

Advertisement

Just got to finish the DSuper5 first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have I done?-img_3487.jpg   What have I done?-img_3488.jpg   What have I done?-img_3489.jpg   What have I done?-img_3490.jpg   What have I done?-img_3491.jpg   What have I done?-img_3492.jpg  

What have I done?-img_3493.jpg   What have I done?-img_3494.jpg   What have I done?-img_3495.jpg   What have I done?-img_3496.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

That looks like it will be fun You can bring it to Little Horwood and cart Nigel off.
    UFO likes this.

UFO

Left rear suspension boot?
    Mort Subite likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Left rear suspension boot?
    Was informed today that the factory no longer supplies this boot. It did very recently and it was preferable to the repro items.

p.s. With a bit of tidying, fashionable matt black paint and some fluoro wipers, mirrors, the Ambo should look fully sick!

Wow what luxury.
    Patient would be a lot more comfortable than in the Land Cruiser based Ambulances up this way.
    Mind you there is a Citroen Rail Ambulance on display nearby.

Paul.

Will it be ready for the next Ghostbusters movie instalment?

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Was informed today that the factory no longer supplies this boot. It did very recently and it was preferable to the repro items.

p.s. With a bit of tidying, fashionable matt black paint and some fluoro wipers, mirrors, the Ambo should look fully sick!
    Real CitroŽn boots for a sedan will fit on a break. Not aftermarket. Real.

Not to worry about the bleed, looks to be supplies for a transfusion in the passenger footwell.

Hello, UFO was correct, left hand boot cried enough after 35 years inactivity and then being asked to go to full height.

Not sure whether to call it Torrey Canyon or Exxon Valdez. Filled the sump as the tip of the dipstick was just about wet. Started well, runs well and then dumped a sumpful of black smelly oil. The oil has the same smell as a couple of barn bikes I rescued, nasty.
    I just can't see where it has come from. The outside of the sump pan is dry, all around and up the sides. The oil pressure sender looks a bit wet but no splash around it. Drips are on the front of the undertray.

Luckily the wife was out and I could clear the mess with rags and a gallon of degreaser

I did get the blue light working though....Nee Naw Nee Naw
    pug206gti likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Sorted then. Everyone will be so busy looking at the light on the roof that they won't notice the puddle of oil on the floor.
    Vincenzo likes this.

Hello, the Torrey Canyon effect was caused by catastrophic failure of the pressure switch. The stupid design also means that the low pressure light doesn't come on as the engine pumps out all its oil.
    Once off the car, a blast of air up the spout showed it to be leaking through the two vent holes
    Replaced with spare, oil topped up and it runs well.
    In future, I shall fit a 35psi switch from Mocal using an adaptor. It is something you don't worry about until it happens and then you constantly worry. A bit like checking the bonnet is shut.
    Plan now is to fit new boots (other side looks fit to burst), get an MOT (rego?) and drive it about a bit. Get a feel for the engine and box, see what needs doing. As it is pre 1974, no car tax to pay, marvellous.
    Vincenzo likes this.

Hello, more tinkering. Now running OK, charging, lights all work and wonder of wonders, the Jaeger clock not only works but keeps good time. Marvellous
    Vincenzo, GreenBlood and CEyssens like this.

They all do that.... for a little while (the clocks that is)
    cheers Tony
    Mort Subite likes this.

Hello, I changed the rear suspension boot, easy enough except for turning the damn thing inside out. With the hydraulic pump belts back on, it will rise up but the big red light of doom stays on. Drips were coming from the dust shield in the wheel arch. Behind the dust shield all the pipes look really rusty and manky. One, which goes across the car was bubbling. Once on full height, the LHM was pouring out.
    So, judging by the look of the rest of the pipes, it looks like all new pipework is needed.
    As Christmas is coming up (as my wife delights in telling me, humbug), a pipe flaring tool, a roll of pipe and 50 male connectors will be going on Santa's list. And the rubber seals
    GreenBlood and Vincenzo like this.

Fellow Frogger!

The one across the car is brakes/ suspension? Not sure about the ones you plan to replace, but not all pipes have flare ends. Some pipes have welded or brazed flat plates at the end. Some have female nuts brazed to the end to accept a flare ended pipe.

Just be careful what you hack out!

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    The one across the car is brakes/ suspension? Not sure about the ones you plan to replace, but not all pipes have flare ends. Some pipes have welded or brazed flat plates at the end. Some have female nuts brazed to the end to accept a flare ended pipe.

You may want to get something like this for the job.

Citroen Classic Hydraulic Line Pipe Flaring Tool 3.5 4.5 mm Single & Double | eBay
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

That looks to be the same one that I got, except that I bought one through Plaiedes (up near Peterboro, UK) so that i could be sure it had the correct Citroen flare tooling. Price was the same.

If you look at the Ebay picture, on the RH side are two little blue blocks. Mine look different. It might just be stock photo on ebay. The one on Ebay does list the DS on about page 23 of the 'compatability' tables, but mine came with 'punch no. 11 (3.5mm) and punch no. 12 (4.5mm). Mine look like this:

What have I done?-img_4704.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post

Hello, it is the pipe with the beige-ish (I'm partially colour blind) piece of plastic tube on it. It leaks from exactly that spot. The pipes within the car look brand new, as usual just the last couple of inches are kaput.

Now I'm waiting for a 9mm flare nut spanner to arrive in the post

The picture has rotated, it is right in the middle of the picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have I done?-dsc00448.jpg  

Hello, new pipe, rubbers and nuts have been fitted. With the engine running and plenty of LHM in the reservoir, the car goes up and down and the steering is powered.
    The big red light of doom won't go out.
    I opened the bleed screw on the regulator. It made a noise like a cartoon firework rocket going off. Closed the screw, re-opened, another screeching rocket. I can keep doing this ad infinitum. I left the screw open for a minute or two. Closed, re-opened and yet another screech.
    LHM in the reservoir look frothy.
    Could this be an air leak into the pump from the suction hose?
    The new pipe and fittings are as dry a nun's proverbials. No obvious leaks from anywhere else.
    Should I also bleed the front and rear brakes?
    I think all the rubber parts on this car are perished. The petrol filler pipe to fuel tank hose has also split. At least the petrol is washing away the old LHM from the last leak
    Thanks
    Peter
    Vincenzo likes this.

Car with largely unknown history that just underwent a hydraulic repair? I would bleed the whole car.
    Could be an air leak in the hose. I would inspect it closely. You could even pluck out the filter, hold it upside down and load it with fluid. Even at low pressure it may expose a leak. An air leak would make the car slow to rise and yes, the light will stay on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thread Information