ID wiring loom
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: ID wiring loom

Tadpole

Default ID wiring loom

Hello Frogs. Does anyone have a wiring loom for a 67 ID?

Advertisement

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    Sorry not sure what you mean here?

It opens up the menu page of 'www.oldtimer-electrique.de/' , they sell the wiring looms. I'm told google chrome will automatically translate the page, otherwise use google translate. Or did you want a wiring diagram?

It is a link to the menu page of the CF-Electrique website - they make wiring harness's for ID/DS/SM and others.

Fellow Frogger!

Do they do RHD looms? Or do you need to send them your loom and they copy it?

Fellow Frogger!

Darrin here in the UK sells looms and the website says, from previous experience, he now favours a particular provider:

" A feature of our wiring looms is the quality; Good quality cable with crimped connections, not soldered.
    These wiring looms are usually made to order for us. We fit these in our workshop and they are a pleasure to fit, much nicer to fit and more reliable than the cheaper versions on the market, that we've also tried "

Any idea who he uses? Is it 'CF-Electrique'?

I don't mean to highjack the thread but I'm in the market and am after advise myself. Darrin does sell RHD looms if it helps

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    Darrin here in the UK sells looms and the website says, from previous experience, he now favours a particular provider:

" A feature of our wiring looms is the quality; Good quality cable with crimped connections, not soldered.
    These wiring looms are usually made to order for us. We fit these in our workshop and they are a pleasure to fit, much nicer to fit and more reliable than the cheaper versions on the market, that we've also tried "

Any idea who he uses? Is it 'CF-Electrique'?

I don't mean to highjack the thread but I'm in the market and am after advise myself. Darrin does sell RHD looms if it helps
    Then Darrin is the guy I would go to first. RHD is almost as specialized as US market, and Darrin isn't a junk peddler. I don't know if he uses CF.

Allegedly, CF bought up a lot of dies and looming machines from Citroen. They also make regular forays into France for NOS materials.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Tadpole

Thanks for the replies guys. Do you have a link for Darin? Do I need a right hand drive loom? I guess I do.

Fellow Frogger

The termination kits on the CF website appear to be the same as those sold by others. Maybe, CF is the originator or another reseller. They are certainly not the same as the original issue wiring parts on the laters cars at least, but do the job. The plug in contact area is shorter than original, but might give a tighter contact as the grip is made by the curved brass female fitting, while the original was a four curved prong affair with the tension supplied by the rubber cover. The rubber in the type of fittings supplied doesn't have that purpose and is there only for insulation and decoration.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Gitanes View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. Do you have a link for Darin? Do I need a right hand drive loom? I guess I do.
    Citroen Classics

Helpful people to deal with.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Citroen Classics

Helpful people to deal with.
    Beat me to it, David. And yes to Gitanes, you will need a RHD loom. Electrically they're almost identical to the LHD sets, but physically they are very different.

If you're looking for the wire ends, you can go to either Sylvain1230_0 store on eBay, or to Citroworld in the Netherlands. Those two I've found offer a pretty good approximation of the originals for not-stupid money. Darrin may have the same. Citroworld does offer the hard-to-get 3mm pins. I'm still looking for someone that can supply the fuse clips.

CF won't even talk to me since I disclosed my plans to them. Pretty much had to when I was attempting to buy terminals 1000 at a time. "OH! Send us the pattern, we'll make those for you!!" Uh, sorry guys, but no.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger

Citroworld sells the same 3 and 4mm items as Franzose and CF by the look of the kits. The heat shrink tubing is a real mixture of materials, the hot pink one being the odd one out and more like rubber than shrink. While Sylvain does have quite a lot of NOS items and they clearly dismantle some cars, a fair portion of what is listed looks to be the same repro items sold elsewhere. The wire end kits certainly do the job and will hook up to the old loom fittings reasonably well, but they are not quite the same as the original parts. Also, like a lot of repro rubber, I've experienced some of the black rubber insulation cracking up after a couple of years. Maybe, it's better quality today? A piece of your own Gates washer/vacuum hose might be more trustworthy.

Unless it has been butchered behind the dash or has disintegrating insulation everywhere, it would be be possible to repair the existing loom by letting in wires in the engine bay. They are mostly black or green with coloured ends. Front guards each get their own harness and though they are sided, I don't think they differ for LHD vs RHD. I'm not sure about a 67 ID, but on later cars there is also supposed to be an inline fuse for each inner headlamp where they plug into the main harness on each side. It's a 10A M20 mini fuse and easy to lose over time as it's a plug-in add-on.

Hello, as I'm a cheapskate, I use these

Japanese Motorcycle Bullet & Socket Connectors > Non Insulated Terminals > Terminals > Home > Vehicle Wiring Products Ltd

Both male and female fit their corresponding Citroen part very well.

On the small amount of re-wiring I have had to do on the DSuper5, I have used British Standards wiring colours and not bothered with the coloured sleeve at the end.

Tadpole

Thanks for such a detailed reply. I have been heat shrinking and repairing all corroded wires but figuring out which wire goes where...? I have the wiring diagram. Thought it might be easier to use the loom if a member had one. I guess I could just buy coloured wire and start again.

Hello, stick to the Citroen system and colours. At the very least you need a test lamp and or a multimeter with continuity function. Be methodical, label wires as you find them because you won't remember and take your time.
    Whenever I work on a car, if it all goes tits up straight away, I come back indoors and leave it till the next day.

Fellow Frogger

I assume this is a 4 headlight model?? If you are dealing with a basket case, then it can be a challenge to know if it's all there and what goes where. You should have a main/dash harness that pops out through either end of the scuttle and mostly runs down the left past the coil, heater/fan and then to the battery area. You would see the main harness joins to the front guard harnesses just near the scuttle and behind the glovebox is where the rear harness plugs in and then runs down the left A-pillar and sill. The horns should run off the left guard harness and there would be a short brown or grey earth pigtail to plug into the guard harness down in each front corner.

It won't actually need the rear or front guard harnesses to run and everything engine electrical related will be between the coil and battery box. You should have a separate battery +ve terminal mounted relay for the starter and there will be a short wire nearby to connect to it. The oil pressure and engine temp wires will also appear just aft of the battery. The wires connecting the alternator, regulator and cutout might be a dog's breakfast, but follow the diagram and it shouldn't be too hard to work out. The ancient regulator was covered in another thread very recently.

There are some good coloured wiring diagrams now on the 'Green CD' pdf collection with the manuals and parts books. The one titled "65-69ID Wiring.pdf" in the Electrical subdirectory of the CD looks easier to follow than some of the older factory diagrams.
    Last edited by David S; 11th August 2016 at 01:17 AM.

Tadpole

Sorry for the tardiness in reply. But thank you David. That's excellent mate. Cheers.

Thread Information