C5 X7 Headlamp indicator on dash flashing
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: C5 X7 Headlamp indicator on dash flashing

UFO

Icon3 C5 X7 Headlamp indicator on dash flashing

We've noticed lately that on the C5 when the headlights are on that every now and then the green indicator lamp in the dash will flash for a few seconds then go solid again. The headlamps themselves do not flash and stay constant. The car is a 2008 build X7 and has 190k km under its belt.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the outcome please?

Advertisement

My only thought is that it is indicating that a lamp assembly is starting to fail so this is a warning.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger

Early warning for the "Buy A New Car' light, lit from 200K ???

Nothing in the handbook? Sorry, I should remember you are in IT, so couldn't be expected to have read that.
    GreenBlood likes this.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Early warning for the "Buy A New Car' light, lit from 200K ???

Nothing in the handbook? Sorry, I should remember you are in IT, so couldn't be expected to have read that.
    Ma Ha! I have in fact RTFM at least four times and still go back to it from time to time. I would have done so again but we did not get home until 10pm yesterday and I was shagged from a big day stage managing a concert. I also noticed the flashing lamp again this morning as I drove to work at 7am and the headlights were on.

Thanks for the response though.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Operate one of the other stalks, like the turn indicator and see if it goes away. My suspicion is the stalk module.

UFO

The indicators are on the same stalk - they function fine. Hi/lo beam also works fine. I always have the headlights set to auto so rarely physically turn the lights to on. The front/rear fog lamp switch on this stalk also works fine.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger

Seems you are not alone as if you do a quick search of the symptoms you see the complaint fro a range of models from Xsara with auto lights onwards. If it was a flicker rather that regular flashing for the same period, then you might suspect a Comm issue, but it seems intentional. Like you, I really don't know what it is meant to report and I've never encountered it myself, but the suggestion by some individuals is drawing your attention to a bad lamp or some other electrical failing. Could it be telling you about the status of the auto lights? How old is the battery??? Maybe, work your way around the car and check all of the lights work as expected and that all the connectors are in good order. Maybe, the BSI is sensing a high resistance in a lighting circuit and you might overcome it by moving a globe in its socket or fiddling with a plug?

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Seems you are not alone as if you do a quick search of the symptoms you see the complaint fro a range of models from Xsara with auto lights onwards. If it was a flicker rather that regular flashing for the same period, then you might suspect a Comm issue, but it seems intentional. Like you, I really don't know what it is meant to report and I've never encountered it myself, but the suggestion by some individuals is drawing your attention to a bad lamp or some other electrical failing. Could it be telling you about the status of the auto lights? How old is the battery??? Maybe, work your way around the car and check all of the lights work as expected and that all the connectors are in good order. Maybe, the BSI is sensing a high resistance in a lighting circuit and you might overcome it by moving a globe in its socket or fiddling with a plug?
    You may be right. The battery is at least four years old now, and I suspect there may be a front parking light on the fritz if I remember the reflection of the front of the car behind another in Sydney last night. Will check it tomorrow night after work.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Craig,

Do you have Xenon lamps in the headlights? If so, maybe its telling you that the time limit is up on the arc lamps and you need to replace them before they damage the strike run module.

Get someone to run a Diagbox report on all your ECUs. It will tell you exactly which bulbs are working OK and which are blown or what wiring has a problem - it's amazing.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken W; 1st August 2016 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    You may be right. The battery is at least four years old now, and I suspect there may be a front parking light on the fritz if I remember the reflection of the front of the car behind another in Sydney last night. Will check it tomorrow night after work.
    Craig, just don't turn the headlights on and the problem won't be there!

My bloody C5 kept telling me I had more than 2 tyres flat. A new battery re-inflated the tyres and we have just finished a 3000 k return trip to Junee and not a problem. Cheers. Kevin

Thread Information