• Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By citroenthusiast
  • 1 Post By Robin Hoffmann
  • 3 Post By Robin Hoffmann

Thread: Replacement for DS23 evaporator fan motors

Fellow Frogger!

Default Replacement for DS23 evaporator fan motors

Fellow Froggers, I'm in the process of refurbishing/reinstalling the 'factory' A/C in my DS 23 IE. It has two evaporaters (1 under each headlight assembly) working with an Autoclima interior setup. One of the two fan motors doesn't work, and apart from a part(?) number MP 3920 and 4B, there is nothing on it by way of other identification/make etc.

Any ideas as to where to source a replacement motor or parts?

Advertisement

The motor is 75 mm long with a diameter of 59 mm. The fan is 150 mm in diameter. I've looked for complete replacement assemblies using flat motors, but the smallest fan size I been able to locate is 200 mm and won't fit into the built-in shrouding. I'd also consider just replacing the motor with a flat one providing the shaft size will fit the original fan, especially if spins faster than the original motor.

Interestingly, each evaporator has a 4 coil deep sandwich which across the two units gives a surface area 50% greater than the evaporator on the Xantia wagon I'm wrecking: 3,120 cm2 (approx) on the DS vs 2052 cm2 on the Xantia. Naturally, being in a 4 coil deep sandwich, I'd expect the cooling to be somewhat less efficient than the one coil deep setup on the Xantia, but it's still a sizeable surface area in the DS setup. I prefer the twin evaporator setup because it means that the radiator remains unrestricted and the A/C should have no impact on engine temperature.

Before anyone asks, I will be using a rotary compressor eg a Sanden.

Any help or thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Robin

Robin,

Condensers are under the bonnet and get hot with compressed gas, and the evaporator is what is in the car and gets cool to absorb interior heat after the cooled compressed gas goes through the Tx or expansion valve thereby getting very cold.

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Thank Ken! I knew that, but got it around the wrong way. Old fart's disease. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!! But I'm sure you understood what I'm talking about.

Cheers, Robin

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hoffmann View Post
    Thank Ken! I knew that, but got it around the wrong way. Old fart's disease. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!! But I'm sure you understood what I'm talking about.

Cheers, Robin
    I do that all the time Robin, join the club

What is the condition of the motor that is not working, should be pretty basic and fairly straightforward to recondition - much easier than finding something and retrofitting. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Dunno! I haven't pulled it apart yet. Removing the fan looks like a bit of challenge because there doesn't appear to be any room to grip the shaft and the fan is plastic. One works across a battery, but the other one doesn't. Given their location I want both fans in tip top condition.
    Cheers, Robin

will look in the next few days, i think i have a couple fans
    2016 Cactus
    2003 Range rover l322
    1974 D special
    1971 D special
    1992 CX TGE Safari
    1961 ID19
    1972 DS21 Safari
    1965 Renault R4
    1923 Citroen B2
    1927 B14
    Massey ferguson 550

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Assuming you got basically the same setup we got in the states, the fan is a press fit onto the shaft. It has a spring clip to reinforce the nylon at the critical point as seen here:

Replacement for DS23 evaporator fan motors-fender-well-fan.jpg

I was able to get mine off by carefully prying from behind. If you break the fan, you can replace it with a standard "universal" 6-1/2 inch diameter fan blade with a 3/16 inch shaft (McMaster Carr P/N 17545K32 like this one.

Replacement for DS23 evaporator fan motors-replacement-fan-blade.jpg

The motor itself is dead simple to rebuild. Polish the armature, grease the shaft, and find some brushes that are about the right size and file to fit.
    Last edited by citroenthusiast; 31st July 2016 at 02:28 AM.
    Hotrodelectric and GreenBlood like this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

https://view.publitas.com/ashdown-in...ue-2013/page/1

If you are definitely looking for new motors. Ashdown Ingram have a big range.

Be aware the catalog in the link uses some weird on line reader system. And can take some working out. But it will display.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    Assuming you got basically the same setup we got in the states, the fan is a press fit onto the shaft. It has a spring clip to reinforce the nylon at the critical point as seen here:

I was able to get mine off by carefully prying from behind. If you break the fan, you can replace it with a standard "universal" 6-1/2 inch diameter fan blade with a 3/16 inch shaft (McMaster Carr P/N 17545K32 like this one.

The motor itself is dead simple to rebuild. Polish the armature, grease the shaft, and find some brushes that are about the right size and file to fit.
    Thanks John. I'll give that a careful try after soaking with some special penetrating oil (50% auto trans fluid, 50% acetone: one of the best and very inexpensive). Cheers, Robin

Fellow Frogger!

Default DS23 condenser fan motors

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    https://view.publitas.com/ashdown-in...ue-2013/page/1

If you are definitely looking for new motors. Ashdown Ingram have a big range.

Be aware the catalog in the link uses some weird on line reader system. And can take some working out. But it will display.
    Thanks robmac. I've only looked at their complete motor/fan setup so far. Very useful reference, and I have an A I store quite close. Cheers, Robien
    Last edited by Robin Hoffmann; 31st July 2016 at 06:19 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

I've removed the fans from the motors successfully. They were secured with a 14mm nut which tightens on to a partially split conical fitting on the fan. The nut is part of the fan assembly, so if need be, I can use these fans on a different motor with the same size shaft. I disassembled one motor and the brushes are well worn. I will see if I can get replacement brushes before looking at alternative motors.
    Cheers, Robin
    GreenBlood likes this.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Oh, before I forget Robin, I've had no joy with finding those US style turn lamps you wanted. I have the bases and sockets, but not the special "cove" they fit into. I'm going to Rendezvous in a couple of weeks, I'll poke around there.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Bill. i was going to ask you again shortly, but you beat me to it! Cheers, Robin

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hoffmann View Post
    I've removed the fans from the motors successfully. They were secured with a 14mm nut which tightens on to a partially split conical fitting on the fan. The nut is part of the fan assembly, so if need be, I can use these fans on a different motor with the same size shaft. I disassembled one motor and the brushes are well worn. I will see if I can get replacement brushes before looking at alternative motors.
    Cheers, Robin
    An update: brushes sourced for $1 ea!! Minimal mods to fit. Motors cleaned etc and brushes fitted, motors tested etc by friendly auto electrician. All good. Thanks for the comments and offers. Cheers, Robin

Thread Information