• 4 Post By Greg C
  • 2 Post By Citroenfan
  • 2 Post By Greg C
  • 2 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By daffyduck
  • 1 Post By Hotrodelectric

Thread: Citroens in the USA

Default Citroens in the USA

I have been keeping an age eye out for any Citroens actually being driven in the US. Finally struck gold in Chicago

Advertisement

Citroens in the USA-p7250002.jpg
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=Greg C;1465008]I have been keeping an age eye out for any Citroens actually being driven in the US. Finally struck gold in Chicago

Hi Greg - attached is a photo of the front of our 110yo house (in Sylmar, CA)getting a well deserved face lift. The 2CV and the XM are daily drivers and my 72 DS 21 Pallas BVH prior to being re-painted, refurbished interior and redone bright work. Not seen (along side of the house) are our 72 DS 21 (now a gorgeous gold color) and 69.5 wagon - both of which are undergoing extensive cosmetic restoration. In the back of the house is a 73SM (under cover) that is going to get its engine rebuilt after the two D's are done. The DS has just under 639,000 total miles on the chassis and about 140,000 since I rebuild the engine and hydraulic system in 2002 - which is when I acquired it. The wagon has about 89,000 miles on it. Got it a few years back from Lon Price in Santa Cruz, California (Garage Longueville). Personally have not owned an non-Cit since I got my DL in 1963 .

In Saratoga Springs last month was the largest gathering of Citroen's in North America. There were some 280 folks and a 120+ cars (TA's/D's/CX's and a couple of XM's). We were hoping that the legally??? registered (NY) C6 would be there - but no . This show draws folks and their cars from Eastern Canada and though out the Easter US (as well as few from neither regions of the West and South). Pauline and I flew back for this year (time crunch) - next year we are driving one of the Cits.

Steve

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cars and House.jpg 
Views:	483 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	87373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012 Road Tour_1.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	87372
    Last edited by Citroenfan; 26th July 2016 at 10:20 AM.
    CXVingtCinq and Vincenzo like this.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Headed out west, Greg? Annual West Coast Rendezvous in Santa Maria, CA (central coast of the state) next month. Details here if you're interested. Room might be a problem, but I'm sure we can squeeze you in somewhere.

Pssst: don't let Steve fool you. The house is a Hollywood facade and the cars are cardboard cutouts.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Headed out west, Greg? Annual West Coast Rendezvous in Santa Maria, CA (central coast of the state) next month. Details here if you're interested. Room might be a problem, but I'm sure we can squeeze you in somewhere.

Pssst: don't let Steve fool you. The house is a Hollywood facade and the cars are cardboard cutouts.

AAAH - Bill - did I miss a payment???????

S

I didn't mean stir you guys up, just was amazed as we walked around the corner to join a Frank Lloyd Wright tour at The Rookery to see an H van parked across the street in downtown Chicago. Looking at the passing parade of cars, what has happened to the US car industry? I am sick of seeing Toyota Camrys everywhere, there are more foreign makes on the road than I expected. I have seen a few old Cadillacs driven in Chicago but thats it. Lots of new cars, they must be cheap, judging by the adds on TV they might be.
    UFO and JohnW like this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I didn't mean stir you guys up, just was amazed as we walked around the corner to join a Frank Lloyd Wright tour at The Rookery to see an H van parked across the street in downtown Chicago. Looking at the passing parade of cars, what has happened to the US car industry? I am sick of seeing Toyota Camrys everywhere, there are more foreign makes on the road than I expected. I have seen a few old Cadillacs driven in Chicago but thats it. Lots of new cars, they must be cheap, judging by the adds on TV they might be.
    Good Morning Mate (at least where I am......). Don't worry about 'stirring things up' - this is normal for us.
    However, to see an H Van on the streets of Chicago, that also would have stopped any of us. I suspect that they may be more rare, in the US, than XM's.

My first introduction to Cits happened in the spring of 1963 - drove across the US to Canada to participate in the Tour du Saint Laurent (TdSL) - at the time the longest bicycle stage race in North America. The year I rode it covered approx 1,400 miles over 12 days or so. A fellow Californian (Ian Mann) and I drove back in his 1962 DS19 Grand Route - the first model of the DS that had a manual transmission, IIRC. On returning to California that fall I persuaded my parents to test a Cit. Both fell in love with them and they purchased a used 1961 ID19 from a dealer in Mill Valley, Ca. (Shamrock Motors). And it was downhill from there for all of us .

As to all the 'new' cars in the US. Not cheap by any means. And a lot, to my knowledge, are not actually purchased, but leased from dealers or financial institutions. OTOH when we drive the 2CV (as we did a few weeks ago up the San Francisco area) I have to say that little car gets more 'smiles to the mile' than anything else on the road.

A few weeks ago we took it to the Galleano Winery (oldest winery in Ca under continuous operation - about 60 or so miles East from where we live). We belong to their wine club :O) and go out there on a somewhat regular basis to pick up our club wine shipments and refill our stock........

Steve

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2CV at Galleano Winery.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	87405

Quote Originally Posted by Citroenfan View Post
    AAAH - Bill - did I miss a payment???????

S
    Just a reminder.....

Oh, lord, no, you didn't stir anything up. I've known Steve for too many years now. It was about a year ago he let me drive the XM for quite a distance (~100Km). Felt more like an SM than a D.

What happened to the US auto industry? A few thing, really. Our cars have become more homogenized with the rest of the world. The market has shifted dramatically. Regulation you haven't yet seen in Australia. The popularity of Japanese cars coupled with everybody trying to follow them- that includes Daimler Benz and BMW. Several foreign manufacturers have settled here in the US.

That Toyota Camry you're seeing? A US market one made in Georgetown, Kentucky. They have I think its 7-8 plants here in just the US alone. Toyota, manufacturing wise is what GM was 60 years ago.

I don't know what you consider cheap- I sure as hell can't afford a $30-40.000 car, Although, my dad has tried to get me to go out and lease a new car to replace the Benz. Which brings me to Steve's point: leasing is very common here. That has some attractive features to people who want to change out their cars every few years. Two really severe points, though. 1) You are essentially renting the car. You never own it unless you pay the residual, which can be hellaciously expensive. 2) Overage on miles is also expensive if you go well past the set limits. That balloon payment for overages at the end of the lease term can be a budget killer.

Anyway, to my original question: are you coming out to the West Coast, or are you sticking to the Midwest? I forget what night it is anymore, but we have to get you at least to the Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake
    (Burbank) on Car Night.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

When we were in California 12 months ago we saw 2 x 2CVs travelling together and heading east through Lake Tahoe. Unfortunately they didn't stop anywhere near where we were so we couldn't have a chat to the owners. I thought seeing two of them together was a particularly rare treat, especially in the US. They're a fairly rare sight on the road here in Australia.

Cheers, Robin

Icon12

Wally's second best friend. . .

A little Citroen USA history from 1958. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroens in the USA-us-patent-planche-de-bord.jpg   Citroens in the USA-jay-leno-ds-simpsons.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

God, I was so young then......

I guess that's supposed to be Jay Leno?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Wally's second best friend. . .

A little Citroen USA history from 1958. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    You rang?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroens in the USA-1469719513844.jpg   Citroens in the USA-1469719583982.jpg  
    GreenBlood likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    You rang?
    Braggart. Just for that, we ARE taking the Mercedes to Rendezvous.

What?? It has a hydraulic rear suspension!!
    daffyduck likes this.

Greg C,

Chicago is about the last place to see any classic car much less a Citroen. Salted winter roads ruined anything we love to drive long ago. Try visiting the Southwest to see Citroens and other classics being driven every day!

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Pynhead
    Tumblr Instagram
    Los Angeles
    1969 Citroen DS21

Quote Originally Posted by pynhead View Post
    Greg C,

Chicago is about the last place to see any classic car much less a Citroen. Salted winter roads ruined anything we love to drive long ago. Try visiting the Southwest to see Citroens and other classics being driven every day!

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Aye! There are classic CitroŽn cars in the Chicago area. There was always good service available there and even today, there is a very good CX guy around. I think if you search Facebook for CitroŽn and Chicago they will show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Just a reminder.....

Anyway, to my original question: are you coming out to the West Coast, or are you sticking to the Midwest? I forget what night it is anymore, but we have to get you at least to the Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake
    (Burbank) on Car Night.
    Thanks for the invite, I am now in LA as basically a wait stop before we get the plane back to Oz. Unfortunately as you do these days you book everything before you leave, so our calendar is full.

We were in San Francisco for a few days and this morning I heard the unmistakeable sound of a 2CV or a brother or ugly sister drive up Sutter early in the morning (about 6:30). So that will be 2 I've actually noticed.

California is a lot different car wise, to do with govt. regulation no doubt. Prius everywhere and hybrids from Ford, Hyundai, Nissan. Nothing wrong with that IMHO, pity Australia is not as good in that department.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thanks for the invite, I am now in LA as basically a wait stop before we get the plane back to Oz. Unfortunately as you do these days you book everything before you leave, so our calendar is full.

We were in San Francisco for a few days and this morning I heard the unmistakeable sound of a 2CV or a brother or ugly sister drive up Sutter early in the morning (about 6:30). So that will be 2 I've actually noticed.

California is a lot different car wise, to do with govt. regulation no doubt. Prius everywhere and hybrids from Ford, Hyundai, Nissan. Nothing wrong with that IMHO, pity Australia is not as good in that department.
    That is a shame, Greg. I would have liked to meet you and host you. Next time, I hope.

Yah, we are pretty different. The state government does have a hand in hybrids and electrics, encouraging their purchase with tax credits. But that isn't all of it- it's the outlook in the major metro areas. A mass lifestyle choice, if you will.

There is a C6 in the US - as featured within the Jalopnik article:

We Drove A CitroŽn C6 And It Was Better Than Our Wildest American Dreams

Love the colour too
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    There is a C6 in the US - as featured within the Jalopnik article:

We Drove A CitroŽn C6 And It Was Better Than Our Wildest American Dreams

Love the colour too
    - yes there is Pauline and I saw it , along with a LOT of others at the Father's Day event in Saratoga Springs, June of 2014. FWIW it was not there this year. And a lot of speculation of HITH it got over here..... My personal take is that someone in the NY Dept of Trans has a new summer home in the Catskills..........

Steve

Thread Information