• Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By citroenthusiast
  • 1 Post By Budge
  • 1 Post By citroenthusiast

Thread: Early DS Driveshafts

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Default Early DS Driveshafts

What options are out there for replacing the rubber dust boot on the inner ends if one doesn't have the official tool for stretching the boot? Split boot? Or are there urethane / silicone boots that are stretchy enough to go over without the tool.

Any suggestions for maintaining the double spicer joints at the outer end? Strangely enough, I do have the huge castle wrench for disconnecting the driveshaft from the pivot.

Advertisement
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Fellow Frogger!

John,

IIRC (and this is really searching the old brain cells) my Dad and I used a heat gun to gently warm up that inner boot so that it could be stretched over Al housing - this really is a two person job. I have heard of others heating them up in boiling water to allow installation, but never tried that method personally. There was available a split boot, at the time, but they were not very rugged. Have not seen a reference to them in ages. Do check the inner rubber shock absorber (D 376-2 in the parts book) also. As to the outer spicer joints - do not know. You might try contacting Darrin at CitroenClassics in the UK or Dave Burnham and or Lon Price here in the US.

Steve

Hello John,

I made a pair of boots for my 1959 DS19. I bought some strong but supple heavy leather from a saddler, cut it into two conical shapes and sewed them together around the shafts. They have lasted 10 years so far and are still good.

Roger

Thanks Roger. I am going to try these first.

CV Boots ? STRETCH CV Boots

I think that with an ATF funnel, I can stretch them over the 111mm diameter of the inner joint. I will report back in a few weeks. If that doesn't work, I will try some sort of split leather or rubber boot.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    Thanks Roger. I am going to try these first.

CV Boots ? STRETCH CV Boots

I think that with an ATF funnel, I can stretch them over the 111mm diameter of the inner joint. I will report back in a few weeks. If that doesn't work, I will try some sort of split leather or rubber boot.
    Hi John,

How did you go with putting this product on your drive shafts? Did the ATF funnel work?

Regards

John

Hi John,

I have the boots in hand and they are very stretchy. I haven't attempted installation yet. I got bogged down with fabricating hydraulic lines and rebuilding brake calipers in anticipation of putting the engine back in.
    Cheers,
    John T.

Well, before installing the boots, I decided to do the Carter Willey modification to the pivots. Carter actually never did (or at least never published) the early single bolt pivots, so I was blazing somewhat new territory. Scaling up the cross sectional drawing in the repair manual I determined that drilling about 1mm toward the wheel side from the center of the reinforcing rib would be appropriate. I drilled down 3/4 inch with a #31 drill (an arbitrary choice) at about 3 o'clock relative to to the ball joints, then I followed up with 3/16 x 1/2 so that I could use a piloted counterbore with a 3/16 pilot to spot face the rib. Then I tapped for M6x10mm deep (for the grease nipple and plug). After blowing out all of the chips, I continued with the #31 for about 1 inch total then, after blowing out the chips again, I attached a neodymium magnet to the #31 and greased it to make the chips stick. After about 1-1/4 inches I broke through into the void between the bearings. I had just pressure washed the assembly so I was not completely surprised when about 10-20cc of water drained out of the hole. The process was repeated at 9 O'clock to allow a relief when the grease is injected. I put some WD40 in to disperse the rest of the water and blew air through. Finally, I installed a grease nipple and greased the pivot (while rotating the shaft). Once grease came out of the open hole, I installed a plug with a copper sealing washer.

Pivot should be good for another 50 years....

Early DS Driveshafts-161120-driveshaft.jpgEarly DS Driveshafts-161220-driveshaft-3-.jpgEarly DS Driveshafts-161220-driveshaft-4-.jpg

I did not have enough hand strength to work the outer CV boot over the LHM funnel, so I bought a pneumatic boot stretcher. I will report back after I have tried to install the outer CV boot. If that is successful, the inner CV boot should be a snap
    Cheers,
    John T.

Fellow Frogger!

Nice work! You make it sound so easy!
    citroenthusiast likes this.

Update: The ATF funnel installation worked for the inner driveshaft boot. Unfortunately the outer boots, which are not nearly as stretchy tore, so I glued them back together with cyanoacryalte glue. The boots were clean so I am optimistic the bond will hold.

The inner boots went on with only a fair amount of struggle. I ended up using a Bailcast CV96 boot, available on eBay and elsewhere.

Here is what I learned:

I used liquid dish soap as lubricant. I had barely enough hand strength to work it over the mouth of the funnel. If you are stronger than me or use a better lubricant (STP?) you may have less of a struggle.

Use a shop towel to get a grip on the boot as you are pushing the last bit over.

It is IMPERATIVE that you trim the bead off of the mouth of the ATF funnel, otherwise the boot hangs up on the bead and you will never get it over the lip.

Early DS Driveshafts-161222-driveshaft-2-.jpgEarly DS Driveshafts-161222-driveshaft-3-.jpg
    Roger Wilkinson likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

Fellow Frogger!

I used an ice cream container trimmed down and wrapped around itself
    As the boot goes over the highpoint the "sleeve" collapses
    Then there you have it
    I find lanolin is the best lubricant

Sent from my F1f using aussiefrogs mobile app

skp
    Fellow Frogger!

No John, There is no easy way to get these boots on - they are bloody difficult!! Just done a pair, so can speak from experience.
    Well done to get it done.

Skp

Thread Information