• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Citroenfan

Thread: D steering arms

Fellow Frogger!

Default D steering arms

Hello

question. How much 'lateral' play should there be in the steering arms on a D?

Longitudinally (i.e. against the steer) there does not appear to be any play. But laterally there is. I can grasp the arm and twist/wobble it sideways with quite a bit of play.

Advertisement

is this a problem or concern?

AM

That's normal.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    Hello

question. How much 'lateral' play should there be in the steering arms on a D?

Longitudinally (i.e. against the steer) there does not appear to be any play. But laterally there is. I can grasp the arm and twist/wobble it sideways with quite a bit of play.

is this a problem or concern?

AM
    The only way to really check the 'lateral' play in the steering is to have the front of the car on stands, engine running, with the system pressurized. Turn the steering lock to lock several time to insure you have no air 'bubbles' in the rack. Then place one hand on your right front wheel (RHD) car and just tap the steering wheel with your other hand. You should, if all is good, feel the front wheel just 'twitch'. If you can 'tap' the steering wheel an not feel that front wheel 'twitch', or if you have to move the wheel slightly to feel any movement in the front wheel, it means that the rubber buffer(s) in the sleeve connections where the steering arms attach to the rack are suspect - #7 in the attached image. Keep in mind that the rubber sleeve inside those flexible bushes are the only non-metal to metal connection in the D's entire steering system.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 8.23.40 AM.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	87324
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D steering arms-screen-shot-2016-07-24-8.23.40-am.jpg  
    Vincenzo, ajaxvte and mberry like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Many thanks.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    Many thanks.
    Not a problem. The reason you can have some up/down play in those arms and still be just fine is that when lifting or pressing down you are just compressing the very ends of the internal rubber bushing. When in place and turning the wheels you have the full length and about a 1/3rd of the circumference of the rubber sleeve to compress. If do have a problem with them - not all that hard to replace. Rebuilds of that flexible bushing, if you have a problem, are available from all of the normal parts suppliers I am aware of. If you do need to replace keep in mind that the outside metal housing is a fairly tight press fit to the steering rod. So make sure you use a appropriate sized drift to remove and install.

Thread Information