C5 Comfort High Beam
  • Register
  • Help

Icon8 C5 Comfort High Beam

Driving home tonight in rain in the 2011 C5 along a country road bounded by dense bush, I realised how inferior the lights are on high beam compared to my 2003 Commodore. They just do not light up the roadside, which makes it very difficult to see where the road verge is when approaching on coming traffic. A friend with an identical C5 says he has the same problem. Has any other C5 Comfort owner experienced the same issue and found a solution? I'm not sure whether the high beam needs raising a bit (and if so, how do you do it) or if I need more powerful bulbs, or a combination of both. The Commodore is absolutely brilliant on high beam, lighting up both sides of the road, and on low beam, still manages to keep the road verge well illuminated and well defined. The C5 is woeful on both counts by comparison, although upon inspection when stationary the lights appear to be working perfectly. I'll only be driving the Commodore at nights now until I find a solution. It does seem to be a matter of focus and light spread, although I have a suspicion that if I raised the high beam quite a bit that it might improve things. However i assume that would also raise the low beam which would adversely affect oncoming motorists.

Advertisement

I thought the same of mine, they are not brilliant (pun intended). As a standard H7, it must be the design of the reflectors.

As for adjustment, if you RTFM, page 87, you will see that there is a small dial underneath and to the side of the steering column. This is a fairly standard arrangement, though I have not had cause to use mine. Will go out and try it.

It does not mention if it acts on both beams, just "manual headlamp adjustment".

Fellow Frogger!

Even the best of headlights will not reach their potential if not aimed correctly, the more so if they are only adequate to begin with.
    To get the best from what you've got, work out which of the usual two adjustment screws does mostly up / down, & which does lateral adjustment. To help confuse things, the screw that does lateral will also have some affect on the height, so both need to be adjusted together.
    I normally start by finding a deserted stretch of two lane road & setting high beam so that the right light covers the right lane, & the left, the left lane in which you are travelling. Usually this will set the low beams correct laterally, but you will need to adjust their height so that the beam cut off is just visible on the road in the distance. Aiming the lights against a wall can subsequently help with fine corrections as found necessary during driving.
    With the lights aimed correctly, you can then consider replacing the bulbs with higher performing plus 110, 120, or 130 versions. I do not recommend higher wattage bulbs as the extra heat & current load can cause problems.
    Sorry, but I can't be specific about the positions & etc. of the adjustment screws on your C5, but I'm sure there are others here who will help.

Have fun.

Richard

Allen,

Is your C5 steel sprung rather than hydraulics?

I think these lights have a motor driven auto height adjust system built in. In a steel sprung car, you adjust them with a dial as described above. On a Hydraulic car, I guess the suspension adjusts them depending on what it is doing with the relative height difference between the front and the rear suspension. It is probably more important to get the initial setting right on the hydraulic ones and let the suspension computer take it from there. Mine has always been pretty good even with standard H7 bulbs and of course there are the 3/4 lights that come on whenever you are turning a corner or into a drive at night that also have 55W H7 bulbs.

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger!

A lot of new cars have a manual, in cabin,headlight height adjustment, but this will not work well unless the basic alignment settings are correct.
    So refer to my earlier posting.

Richard

UFO

In the cars with the dashboard adjustment dial, the default setting for a car with one to two people and no luggage on board is 0 (zero). More passengers or luggage and you dial up from 1 to 3 to get it right. Our C4 has the dial and most of the time it is on 0 and the lights on it are great. Our C5 is a hydraulic exclusive so the lights take care of themselves and are superb - and certainly much better than the woeful candles on the XM that preceded it!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

No, no adjusting wheel in my C5. I suppose because the vehicle is self levelling, it's not considered necessary. But it is!

Well yes, you are right about all of the above, but i am sure the high beam is set much too low. They just light up the road ahead, but have no spread to the side. My old Commodore lights up the sides of country roads like it's daylight; the Cit leaves everything in gloom.

Having taken the caps off the top of the light casings, I can see that there are 2 adjusting screws, one which is immediately visible on top and which is adjustable with either a hex key or Philips screwdriver, the other is beneath the light unit and I have no idea what you with adjust it with - probably some fancy CitroŽn tool. But I can't determine which one moves what, and am reluctant to try anything without knowing. I could try asking the CitroŽn agents to adjust them at the next service, but I will probably be told that the settings meet specifications. Oh for my 1928 Austin 7 where you just slacked off a nut beneath the light and wiggled the thing till you got it where you wanted it. Mind you, it didn't actually illuminate anything either. But it was easy.

Fellow Frogger!

Allen, adjusting headlights is not rocket science. Find a level surface [ carpark ? ] with a wall, park the car facing it about 5 m away with the lights on, get your allen key & experiment. By all means put chalk lines on the wall to give you reference points. Make a few small adjustments & drive out to see what effect it has, then try again. To get the spread right it is easiest to use high beam, & once again, refer to my previous posting for a starting reference, by aiming right lamp to the right lane, left lamp to the left, and then making your own variations from there. Start with the wall, so you know what adjustment screw does what.
    It can take time, but in the end it is satisfying to find that they work better than you thought possible. Then you can try the higher efficiency bulbs to full effect . Fingers crossed !!!!

R.

Ok Thanks for that. I'll give it a go. Not sure how to get something that will turn the lower control. It's a strange plastic thing, no hex or Philips head as far as I can see.

Thread Information