Citroen Cactus
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Citroen Cactus

Default Citroen Cactus

Just wondering if anyone has purchased one of driven one for any distance and what your thought were about it, they seem well priced and have some great features and of course look like nothing else on the road

Advertisement
    2016 Cactus
    2003 Range rover l322
    1974 D special
    1971 D special
    1992 CX TGE Safari
    1961 ID19
    1972 DS21 Safari
    1965 Renault R4
    1923 Citroen B2
    1927 B14
    Massey ferguson 550

1000+ Posts

Only around the block, so I'm not qualified. But I have driven the related current C4 long distances, and the motor is a gem, and the suspension gives a soft ride. Gearboxes differ.

One of our esteemed club members John Beswick ( a C4 owner ) is currently in Europe and plans to do about 10,000kms. On his return he plans to give the club a presentation on the Cactus.
    we will keep you posted.
    UFO likes this.

Having taken in quite a variety of viewpoints on AF, on a variety of cars, I am reminded how personal "a car choice" is.

I have owned and driven Renaults (and was always very fond of the R4 and R16), some years ago I test drove a swag of new Peugeots and didn't really warm to them. I have been driving Citroens for some 40 years, and try as I may, I invariably come back to them, with all of their foibles. Citroen owners vary in their choices (I really do like my present C5) and I'm not moved by the present range of non-hydraulic models, although they do have some sharp features....(shame about the ride)...I guess if I wanted a small sporty car, the DS3 would be cool. I enjoyed driving the Mini Cooper. I really liked the C4 2.0HDi.

I usually make a very quick decision about liking any car I test drive, the first 60 seconds is about all it takes.
    I have yet to warm to almost any Mercedes, for example. Or BMWs.

I haven't driven the Cactus, but it looks like it has a reasonable slew of Citroen characteristics that I would probably enjoy.

The short point about the mini-rant is ... drive one and see how you like it.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

1000+ Posts

The delightful little DS3 DSport will change you views about Citroen ride. It grips like a limpet but the 17" rubber band ride tends to the German style on any concrete or roughish paved road. Better on dirt. Like BMW, make friends with a dentist. Despite that I like mine.

Yeah, I have the feeling that if I drove a DS3 I would be seriously attracted.

I do get to drive my Activa with the occasional grunty pleasure. But where these days?

So my "big picture" tends to be because I live in Sydney, and have to endure frustrating traffic ... (or the occasional 110km limit getting outta town) .... that despite a real pleasure in "driving" the most useful characteristics for a car these days includes: ... ergonomics, cruise control, sharp brakes/steering/balance, climate a/c, radio, and about-town torque. And fuel economic and reliability.

In reality, there are bucket loads of cars that offer pretty good responses, and making a car "handle" isn't a particularly challenging bit of engineering. However, on most counts, Citroen excel in the other areas. I kinda think it is the "X" factor when you pilot one.

Maybe like "a sensible pair of shoes" versus some blue suede snakeskins.
    Last edited by garyk; 20th July 2016 at 10:15 AM.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

i like the the manual gearbox instead of the robotised manual so would have to take the petrol, its a little ripper of an engine with an amazing amount of torque for a 1.2 3 cylinder turbo, i like the simplistic interior, not to many buttons and complicated instruments, I did find the ride nice and soft for a change couldnt get it to crash over any large bumps with 3 adults in the car, I notice most write ups found it soft with some body roll which i think is great at least it soaks up the bumps, car manufacturers seem to think we need ferrari suspension in everyday cars
    Motorgnome likes this.
    2016 Cactus
    2003 Range rover l322
    1974 D special
    1971 D special
    1992 CX TGE Safari
    1961 ID19
    1972 DS21 Safari
    1965 Renault R4
    1923 Citroen B2
    1927 B14
    Massey ferguson 550

1000+ Posts

The 1.2 (in my 308)
    IS a gem!
    And the Toyota (Aisin) auto matches it perfectly with no hunting , just diesel slugging with petrol power.

JBN

I am with Garyk on cars. On Sunday I had to move a brand new display automatic WRX from one shopping centre to another about 10 kms away. The most exciting part was driving out of and into the shopping centres. The latter one has about 2-3" clearance on each side between the car and glass doors. I came prepared with two lengths of 1" thick polystyrene, one held by my wife on one door, the other by the security guard on the other door. The polystyrene will squeak when rubbed by the car (I think). Either way, it prevents expensive damage. The car has a lot of power, no soul and a hard ride. It feels heavy.

The following day, I drove as a passenger in Father Goose's Series 2 Xantia wagon. What a comfortable car to be in. He also has a Series I manual diesel Xantia wagon. Same thing - what a comfortable car. The fact that driving long distances (Sydney - Perth) he gets 5l per 100kms isn't bad. I am not sure whether he got the car for nothing (some diesel injection problems) or for about a grand, but it has to be near the top of best value cars for the money.

Citroen may be cactus now, but they sure produced some interesting cars in their time.

John
    Motorgnome likes this.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balki View Post
    I did find the ride nice and soft for a change couldnt get it to crash over any large bumps with 3 adults in the car, I notice most write ups found it soft with some body roll which i think is great at least it soaks up the bumps, car manufacturers seem to think we need ferrari suspension in everyday cars
    If I was in the market for a Cactus I would wait for the 2017 model which will be equipped with the new suspension system.
    Earmarked for replacing the hydraulic but reputed to be quite comfortable. Citroen has at last realised in a world of stiff and boring automobiles their best way to remain competitive is by returning to their legendary comfort. Can't wait. Or is it all hype......
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 21st July 2016 at 06:26 AM.
    tresbon2, Vincenzo and Motorgnome like this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

1000+ Posts

Thanks for keeping me up to speed ,from the heading i thought the company had gone bust ,or someone had broken down ,interesting choice of a name ,wondering if the design brief had a lot of points ,obviously cactus dousnt mean stuffed in france

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    If I was in the market for a Cactus I would wait for the 2017 model which will be equipped with the new suspension system.
    Earmarked for replacing the hydraulic but reputed to be quite comfortable. Citroen has at last realised in a world of stiff and boring automobiles their best way to remain competitive is by returning to their legendary comfort. Can't wait. Or is it all hype......
    Would all models get the new suspension by 2017?
    I'd have thought 'trickle down' would delay it till a serious update year.
    Very interesting, let's hope it takes off.

1000+ Posts

Citroen hasn't forgotten the comfortable ride. The Cactus is a C4 modification, and the current C4 (2011 - ) is quiet, very softly sprung and surprisingly smooth riding considering that the basic suspension derives from a Peugeot 307.

I agree about the Rex. Most current hot hatches are like riding in farm carts, all for the sake of race track performance.

I had hoped to be able to report on the Cactus as I had booked one from Budget as a hire car for a week in the UK. Sadly on arrival at Heathrow they had none available. After a mild protest from me I was given a free upgrade to a C4 Grand Picasso diesel auto.

Although the Picasso was a little too big for West Country lanes it proved to be absolutely brilliant at everything else. Plenty of power, best auto box I have experienced and very comfortable and controlled ride. Economy sat firmly on 4.5l/100 for rural or motorways use.

It seemed there were a fair few Cactus on UK roads but I saw very few in Paris. Maybe it does not appeal in the city? The Germans however seem to love them.

Citroen in Paris had an plug in electric version on display.
    Last edited by michaelr; 21st July 2016 at 01:59 PM.
    Vincenzo likes this.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

That wasn't a Cactus, but an eMehari, both from the same styling team. All I can report on is interior room. All the young kids in Paris were all over the eMehari so I had a Cactus to myself. Set the front seat for me to drive it, and then try to sit behind 'me'. No go. That was a bit disappointing but it was not far off fitting two 190cm tall people one behind the other. Pity as every car I have ever owned passed that test, including the first, a real 1961 Mini. I didn't see as many Cactus in Europe as expected, plenty of C1, C2 and C3.
    danielsydney likes this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

My mistake Greg. The display was an E Mehari and a Cactus"Rip Curl".
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

My problem is I'm old enough to remember how good Citroens use to be.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

I drove one a few months ago and came away might impressed. A 1.2 manual that was extremely sprightly. The car was fine on the freeway.

There was three things I didn't like. It didn't have a tacho, everyone I mentioned that to asked why I'd want one. Every single car I've ever owned from my $3000 11 year old first car, big auto Falcon sedan, and $14,990 late 90's drive away basic 3dr hatch have all had one. I missed it.

Secondly I found trying to operate the touch screen for HVAC while driving too hard. My other cars I can do by touch, turning the dial or pressing the button up and down without having to take my eyes off the road. I'm only 38 so I'm supposed to like touch screens. But I didn't.

Lastly (I could get over the other two) was the price. $30k+ without any options on the road. It just didn't seem good value.

If it was cheaper (like $22-25k on road), I might have one. It was roomy for its size, had great acceleration mainly because of its light weight, it was a simple honest little car. Great gear change and comfortable. Will be interesting to see what time does to the price. Captur demo's are considerably less than RRP. I just checked and they already seem to be including on road costs, so about $3400 saving.

Fellow Frogger!

Have just returned from Ireland and Scotland. Noticed quite a few Cactuss (Cacti?). I think the rubber protective pads are invaluable on the narrow Irish and Isle of Sky secondary roads. We were in a BMW 5 series which was way too big, especially squashed between a stone wall/bushes and oncoming vehicles. We witnessed one guy getting rashed on a mountain pass in his "Govy" Pulsar. In short a Cactus would be very good when positioning in shopping centres. Probably also good in supermarket parking lots. As for how it drives...???

Well I just ordered a metalic white with black bumps and tan leather, manual turbo petrol, should be delivered in a few weeks, will report back on living with it after that
    2016 Cactus
    2003 Range rover l322
    1974 D special
    1971 D special
    1992 CX TGE Safari
    1961 ID19
    1972 DS21 Safari
    1965 Renault R4
    1923 Citroen B2
    1927 B14
    Massey ferguson 550

Hopefuly some photos of your new joy with some interior shots as well.

CitroŽn Regards
    Brian
    Last edited by SmoothFlow; 24th July 2016 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Stuff-up!
    1970 D Super. (Little Miss Petite).

To quote Maxwell Smart........"And Loving It!"

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balki View Post
    Well I just ordered a metalic white with black bumps and tan leather, manual turbo petrol, should be delivered in a few weeks, will report back on living with it after that
    Give us some feedback asap...thanks
    danielsydney likes this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Picked the car up in Hobart today 300kms from home, drove back this afternoon and we are very happy with it, the power is amazing for a little engine, car was comfortable seats are great and fuel economy at just under 6 per hundred with me pushing it along at 115kmh most of the way, it goes up and down hills and happily overtakes cars with out having to drop back a gear, bit of road noise on very rough bitumen but what can you expect from a rather cheap car, negatives i found are screen brightness at night reverts back to middle setting every time you switch the ignition off brake and clutch pedals a bit high in relation to the trottle, all in all a great little package, oh and a real head turner, we had a few people stop to look at it and read the badges to see what it was and even a few people wave at us
    Wife drove the last bit home and felt right at home with the clutch and controls

Citroen Cactus-photo-2.jpgCitroen Cactus-photo-1.jpg
    2016 Cactus
    2003 Range rover l322
    1974 D special
    1971 D special
    1992 CX TGE Safari
    1961 ID19
    1972 DS21 Safari
    1965 Renault R4
    1923 Citroen B2
    1927 B14
    Massey ferguson 550

Congratulations Balki. I hope I see it if we catch up soon.

1000+ Posts

Don't tell me they have followed the American trend of having the brake pedal significantly higher than the accelerator, meaning you can't just pivot your right foot?.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information