C5 brake calliper disassembly
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: C5 brake calliper disassembly

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 brake calliper disassembly

2002 hdi, calliper was dragging & causing the front brake driver side to get hot. The handbrake cable is free, problem is in the adjustment mechanism in the calliper I am sure. Got the calliper free, pads out (with some effort). Removed the 2 torx screws holding the spring & the handbrake actuator lever, removed the rubber seal, but cannot get into the mechanism to clean & lubricate it. Anyone know how to get at the mechanism? There is a PENTAGONAL bolt on the side of the calliper, do I have to remove it? have lots of spanners & sockets but not 5 sided!

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

The handbrake mechanism is a threaded rod with a captive nut/cone arrangement. There is a spring pushing on the assembly. It is wholly bathed in brake fluid, all air and moisture expelled, and it probably isn't seized. When pad wear moves the pad face away a little, pressure sends the piston out and the next handbrake use winds up a little adjustment before starting to thrust. The rewinding operation when pads are replaced winds back the adjuster for the next round.

My suspicion is that there is corrosion in the bore starting from the exposed pad side, and that has seized the steel piston. If so, replacing the caliper may work out cheaper than machining the bore. Working ones dismantle by using pressure to blow out the piston, and do look out for your eyes (cover it)!

1000+ Posts
    Last edited by seasink; 16th July 2016 at 11:38 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 brake caliper disassembly

Here is your problem, crud enters the back of the piston through the breather hole and stops the adjusting worm from winding back sufficiently after the brake is released. Common fault. If the piston wont wind out undo the special lock bolt, remove the handbrake lever and pull out the caliper internals complete. Method however you choose. Do not dismantle the handbrake spring assy, it's a factory assembled unit, separate it, and its buggered. Buy a second hand working caliper would be the best way.

C5 brake calliper disassembly-18-07-16_1218.jpgC5 brake calliper disassembly-18-07-16_1219.jpgC5 brake calliper disassembly-18-07-16_1220.jpgC5 brake calliper disassembly-18-07-16_1221.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

Have managed to free it up with penetrene & WD40, got it going, so far so good. However the last item especially gives me some more info for next time. Is that special bolt the one which is pentagonal?

Thanks everyone.

agd123

1000+ Posts

Penetrene contains petroleum distillates. Watch the rubber piston seal.
    jaahn likes this.

I had problems like that especially when stopping sharply, the brake wouldn't release for ages. I eventually replaced the calliper.

Fellow Frogger!

I've had to replace 2 calipers so far in 4 years with the exact same issue. WD40 only lasted a few months then it got stuck again.....

Replacement new callipers are available on ebay for around £100 each, but you need to check the casting number, as there are different sizes.
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Tadpole

Hi, I have a 2010 C5X7 2.0 HDi with electric parking brake that since gifting new rear pads myself has worn down the new right rear pads to 2mm in just 5000kms! The disc got really hot until the pads wore down to about 2mm but now it doesn't get any hotter than normal. I swapped the pads from the left to right axle but the right disc got really hit again. The dealer checked cables etc and doesn't know what's wrong so is asking for $850 to fit a new caliber. Do you guys have any advice please?

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Thread Information