Ds driveshafts- renew or reco //
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gerrypro
  • 2 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: Ds driveshafts- renew or reco //

Default Ds driveshafts- renew or reco //

the next item on the list is to rectify the clicking driveshaft- has anyone recently executed this job and are the new outer CV units from OS the way to proceed.

anyones experience will be appreciated and also may help others considering the same.

Advertisement

thanks

I have heard about this clicking, although I have never experienced it myself. I would love to know exactly what the clicking is. Having removed a few drive shafts, I have seen that the grease in the tri axe housing can become a dry. Is it the bearings on the spider giving way? Either way, they are pretty easy to remove and check, if it is the main coupling then I guess a replacement is the only option. But it may not be that bad.

I've just put one on the left as the clicking was getting progressively worse, onto clunking etc. It's a neat little unit. Weighs much less, the cv pivot is completely within the steering pivot and looks beautifully made. I wouldn't bother re-building. It cost me about 30 Euro less than quoted too.
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe). And now a Cactus!

Oh, and a Holden.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

EU cars prefer no grease, Australian cars need grease.

Ooh-ooh-ooh?

yeah, much wiser for that.

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    I have heard about this clicking, although I have never experienced it myself. I would love to know exactly what the clicking is. Having removed a few drive shafts, I have seen that the grease in the tri axe housing can become a dry. Is it the bearings on the spider giving way? Either way, they are pretty easy to remove and check, if it is the main coupling then I guess a replacement is the only option. But it may not be that bad.
    In a Traction the clicking is caused by wear in the ball and spigot joint that centralises the Double Hookes Joint and allows angular deflection of the stub axle from the drive shaft. The layout of a D drive shaft is identical in concept at the outer end of the system however the crosses are much larger and heavier and last for a very long time. Strangely the Ball and Spigot Joint is the same dimension as in a traction. When it gets sloppy it sets up a weird oscillation in the joint causing severe end loadings on the journals of the crosses. As these parts wear, just as in a traction they move sharply back and forth producing the characteristic click!
    mberry likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

On the DS the clicking is usually caused by wear in the Triax.,If you clean up the triax the wear can be seen where the balls drive the shaft in its normal position.So far (in 40 years) I,ve replaced about 6 triaxes and no CV joints.
    Woody

Yes, the triaxe will wear just like any mechanical component. Nobody has yet mentioned whether or not the clicking is on lock or straight ahead driving!
    Cheers Gerry

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Yes, the triaxe will wear just like any mechanical component. Nobody has yet mentioned whether or not the clicking is on lock or straight ahead driving!
    This from Citroen Classics UK
    https://citroenclassics.wordpress.co.../drive-shafts/

Cheers
    Chris
    gerrypro and Vincenzo like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

I like this solution. Almost as good as a CX!!!!!!
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information