DS manifold ceramic coating
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: DS manifold ceramic coating

Default DS manifold ceramic coating

has anyone had the exhaust manifold ceramic coated, what are the pros and cons ?

Advertisement

From memory, Paul Smith did. I think it would have been through European Autocare.
    UFO likes this.

1000+ Posts

I had the 4CVG's stainless extractor ceramic coated. Radiant heat is noticeably reduced. I can think of no downside except cost. Mine was done by a Victorian mob called Jet-Hot & the coating was a metallic silver called Sterling. No complaints. Lots of folk will do it though and lots of coating variations.

cheers! Peter

DS manifold ceramic coating-750-001-engine.jpg

post scriptum:

mine was coated inside and out
    Last edited by 4cvg; 13th July 2016 at 12:19 AM.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    From memory, Paul Smith did. I think it would have been through European Autocare.
    And I recall that Paul did not think there was much benefit from it.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Yes, that's my recollection too. I think he only coated the outside, some mobs like to do in and out.

That said, I imagine a lot of Dee engine bay heat is general accumulated warmth, rather than the specific radiance of a hard-working exhaust manifold.

p.s. Can we have the big discussion on ailes cendriers again, now, too?

UFO

Yes, that's my recollection too. I think he only coated the outside, some mobs like to do in and out.

That said, I imagine a lot of Dee engine bay heat is general accumulated warmth, rather than the specific radiance of a hard-working exhaust manifold.
    That and the fact it is in front of the driver's legs.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Well, he should have ceramic-coated his legs!
    daffyduck likes this.

Icon3

Well, he should have ceramic-coated his legs!
    All D drivers need ceramic coated legs. . .

I find these images interesting from the point of view that the heat shield on the exhaust has more than halved the heat off the manifold - this is D running at operating temp.

I'd be hesitant to play, but if there were further insulation on the manifold heat shield keeping the heat from being dissipated throughout the engine bay and restricted to the exhaust - with perhaps better insulation at the muffler shield under the driver, less heat would be transmitted into the cabin space?

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS manifold ceramic coating-ds-termic-01.jpg   DS manifold ceramic coating-ds-termic-02.jpg   DS manifold ceramic coating-ds-termic-03.jpg   DS manifold ceramic coating-ds-termic-04.jpg   DS manifold ceramic coating-ds-termic-05.jpg   DS manifold ceramic coating-ds-termic-06.jpg  

DS manifold ceramic coating-ds-termic-07.jpg   DS manifold ceramic coating-ds-termic-08.jpg   DS manifold ceramic coating-ds-termic-09.jpg  
    Vincenzo likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

D manifold shields had a slice of asbestos on the underside of them originally did they not? Pretty sure they did.

I dunno, where am I.

So adding something on the underside with moderne material could be of benefit to the starter aussi.

I ceramic coated the exhaust inside and out on my D, it did seem to help, haven't put a temperature gun on it to check, but hopefully later in the year when I bring it to Perth to set up the carby with a dyno
    Wayne
    Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here you may as well dance

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

Me too - though I did it mainly for aesthetics. Painting them never seems to last...
    If your going to do it include the drop pipe between the manifolds and the flex. I'm guessing most of the heat soak into the footwell comes from this pipe.
    Cheers,
    Mark...

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    D manifold shields had a slice of asbestos on the underside of them originally did they not? Pretty sure they did.

I dunno, where am I.

So adding something on the underside with moderne material could be of benefit to the starter aussi.
    I don't think so Steven, I can't recall late Ds ever having insulation on the manifold shield. Mine certainly didn't and neither did the repro replacements. I can't recall but perhaps the early cars?

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Me too - though I did it mainly for aesthetics. Painting them never seems to last...
    If your going to do it include the drop pipe between the manifolds and the flex. I'm guessing most of the heat soak into the footwell comes from this pipe.
    Cheers,
    Mark...
    Would be interesting to get some temp readings on your car of the same areas as the pics above Mark. Not sure if my infrared temp gun reads to 300+C

Edit: Just checked, yes reads to 550c

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    And I recall that Paul did not think there was much benefit from it.
    If you mean Paul Smith, didn't they crack within a couple of years too. I seem to recall he wasn't displeased with them... they were just massively expensive for a barely detectable change.

It's a shame we hadn't found that insulation back then. Even his ignition used to get red hot from memory.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I am also intending to do the ceramic treatment on in and out manifolds and the cam covers. Not for heat management but so they will retain their 'new' look for years. The only thing I'm thinking about is whether I polish up the cover and get a transparent ceramic coating or use a silver-ish colour. Any heat management benefit is a bonus.
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post

I dunno, where am I.

Some did. Some did not. I think I have a 72 here today that does.

I have done 3 D's now. Both manifolds and the engine pipes inside and outside. I agree, there is no noticeable difference in performance. But. Even if you don't buy into the heat, performance and longevity improvements quoted by the people that offer the service. Rusty manifolds and downpipes are no fun to work with, like fingernails down a black board.

HPC (High Performance Coatings ) in Leongatha, offer a good service, they have a courier pick up and delivery, I did one recently, was $400 from memory.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS manifold ceramic coating-ex-1.jpg   DS manifold ceramic coating-ex-2.jpg   DS manifold ceramic coating-img_3257.jpg  
    Vincenzo likes this.

Hello, what is the black thing next to the battery that looks like two wheelbarrow tyres?

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Hello, what is the black thing next to the battery that looks like two wheelbarrow tyres?
    Brake discs?

Nice shiny bits Michael

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    That and the fact it is in front of the driver's legs.
    IIRC The ceramic treatment in the engine bay pushed all the heat to the Y joining section and flexi pipe then the silencer. It resulted in cooking these parts prematurely. Heat soak still through the floor and silencer. The aluminum radiator likewise suffered from massive heat sink (quick extremes) over that of the original spec unit. Excellent attempts at removing heat from the bay but never as successful as it appeared on paper.

Sent from my LG-D855 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Ye, Chris is correct, they're brake discs, black because they were NOS, and I went over them with rust converter, before I cleaned them and fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Subite View Post
    IIRC The ceramic treatment in the engine bay pushed all the heat to the Y joining section and flexi pipe then the silencer. It resulted in cooking these parts prematurely. Heat soak still through the floor and silencer. The aluminum radiator likewise suffered from massive heat sink (quick extremes) over that of the original spec unit. Excellent attempts at removing heat from the bay but never as successful as it appeared on paper.

Sent from my LG-D855 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    There is multiple areas to address in an attempt to arrest heat soak. I'm sure we've all seen many of them here already, my take on it is to tackle as many things as reasonable at the time in the hope that the accumulated effect of multiple solutions offers some meaningful difference.

one of the beaches here is littered with asbestos that was dumped post Tracy and the levelling of the old hospital, I take the dog for a walk there, if I collected enough pieces I could make up a mosaic of asbestos for the heat shield!!!!

Believe it or not....

Fellow Frogger!

Both my Aussie IDs 1962 and 1965 models have asbestos fabric riveted onto the underside of the exhaust heat shields. Quite scary, and my wife reminds me regularly of its presence. Will eventually remove it (drench with water first, wear a mask) and replace it with modern stuff which is readily available locally.
    Regards leconte
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    There is multiple areas to address in an attempt to arrest heat soak. I'm sure we've all seen many of them here already, my take on it is to tackle as many things as reasonable at the time in the hope that the accumulated effect of multiple solutions offers some meaningful difference.
    The A/C unit did blow ice at you though, so that was fun!
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Default Ds manifold ceramic coating

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    i was not sure if this thread would get any replies, to my surprise however, appreciate all the information.

my starter is stuffed and i realised that this would be the best time to deal with this, having known about CC for some years. this initial question was to satisfy my curiosity in the first instance as to the experiences out there.
    the car is getting a new starter and also manifolds being CC in black. not silver , also as i understand the latest process is that it is being baked not air cured. also i agree with MB that it is an accumulative effect.
    everything i do to this car, is to make is more user friendly while retaining the originality. the time has come that i am using this as my daily driver now, so reliability comfort etc is important.

thanks for the great information and differing point of view.

next on the list is driveshafts ??

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information