Key Cutting in Brisbane and second hand Key Code Cards
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ken W

Thread: Key Cutting in Brisbane and second hand Key Code Cards

Default Key Cutting in Brisbane and second hand Key Code Cards

Just an information post.

Took the 2006 C2 up to Brisbane for my eldest son. Wanted to get him a spare key and got lots of quotes, even considered a pre cut key from the UK via eBay (lucky I did not go down that path). Brisbane dealer quoted me $366 for the key, $88 to cut it and $60 to code it to the car.
    I bought this car privately about two months ago, the previous owner had purchased it from a Sydney used car dealer around 12 months previously. It had with it log books for that VIN and a Key Code Card.

Time was running out so I decided to get a generic full remote key from 'Replacement Car Keys' in East Brisbane. Their quote was $290 for the key, with cutting and coding to the car.
    Left it with them for an hour and went off to the delightful cafe they recommended. They texted that the job was done as we were walking back.
    Turned out that the code on the supplied key code card was not for that C2 and they had to extract the code from the original key. Which they did and then only charged me $250 all up. They also gave me the proper code to keep just in case I need it again.

Thus I can highly recommend 'Replacement Car Keys' in East Brisbane if you need spare or new Citroen keys.

I would also warn used car buyers not to trust the Key Code Cards coming with a second hand purchase.

Advertisement
    Last edited by BallinaOB; 11th July 2016 at 04:01 PM.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

Interesting! So you're saying they obtained the four character authentication code by interrogating the vehicle?

You could always check the secure code with Diagbox or Lexia/Peugeot Planet (the caveat being, were you to do this, you would need ALL keys to hand at the time).

From what I've seen, those who know can extract the security code from the BSI firmware download. But it sounds to me like they have used a reader to read the id of the existing transponder and then cloned that to the new key. So although there are two keys, the car thinks it is running on one key only.

Your security key card might still be correct for your car. Was the code they gave you four alphanumeric characters?

Cheers, Ken
    addo likes this.

From my understanding they read the code off the existing key. They told me that the code on the code card was defiantly not the correct code for this vehicle. The new code they gave me is four alphanumeric characters. Key and remote functions work, which is exactly what I wanted.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

Thread Information