• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By shanadoo
  • 1 Post By addo

Thread: 2004 C5 HDI Estate Gearbox

Tadpole

Default 2004 C5 HDI Estate Gearbox

Hi all, hoping to get some guidance on this.

Advertisement

The C5 has around 170,000 km on the clock. Have had new solenoids put in the gearbox late last year. Last night while driving, it wouldn't drive forward from a stop sign. Engine was revving but car wouldn't move. It would reverse ok, so I tried forward again. It moved, but wouldn't go up a hill. Tried putting it in the 2nd start mode ( the snowflake) and that got me going ( sort of) and limped home and parked. The gearbox has been slipping for the last couple of months and giving the "slip error" on the console and locking in 3rd gear which needs turning off the engine to reset.

Last service at Euroserve Brisbane, was told that the gearbox was on the way out and was quoted around $6000 would fix it. Anyone have any thoughts on whats broken and if there is any way of getting it back on the road for a lot less than that? I.E. 2nd hand gearbox??

Thanks
    Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

My guess is you've got a broken F3 brake band, usually an expensive repair.
    Send a PM to GarethB, he had Al4 box for sale cheap.
    addo and garethb like this.

Is that F flat diminished?

The AL4 Blues needs penning.
    shanadoo likes this.

Hi Gerry,

Sounds like it is too late to add some Lucas Transmission Fix to your box. You will need access to a box that comes from a similar car and should reuse the ECU from your existing car. Even then it will most likely require an electronic interrogation to reinitialise settings.

Perhaps contact John Walton at DS Motors and see if he can source you a 2nd hand box through his contacts down south.

Good Luck

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    My guess is you've got a broken F3 brake band, usually an expensive repair.
    Send a PM to GarethB, he had Al4 box for sale cheap.
    Thanks Tony, yes, the AL4 is sitting in the garage ready to move on. PM me if you're interested Gerry.

Fellow Frogger!

It's advisable to use your existing trans ecu. The Al4 boxes in C5 are mainly plug and play. So if your engine is the same as garethB's drop it straight in, if not, just use your own converter. I've had a couple of second hand boxes fitted using the original ecu and never had to reinitialize. After all the ecu controls everything.

A word after completion of repairs, the factory says it's imperative but I've always taken them for a good drive around the suburbs anyway, making the box use plenty of gear changes under as many different situations as I can find. The ecu will learn the driving style and make driving that much better.

Tadpole

Hi all, thanks so much for the replies. I will PM Gareth and see what's what. Cheers.

Thread Information