Long stroke camshaft question
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Default Long stroke camshaft question

I am assembling a 1962 engine with the post July 1961 "long spline" camshaft. Following the overhauling instructions, OPP 100-3 step 31 says to install the camshaft without mentioning anything about installing an oil seal at the splined end of the camshaft. However, OPP 120-1 (camshaft installation) says to ďinstall oil seal 47Ē at the front of the camshaft. Naturally, I didnít see OPP 120 until after the engine was assembled and the head installed.

According to the parts book, there is an O-ring P/N 4907-S used on engines before July 1961, (which was the changeover from the short spline to the long spline camshafts) but I canít see where anything is used on later engines.

What is supposed to seal the splined end of the camshaft on post-July 61 engines?
    Thanks.

Advertisement
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Fellow Frogger!

According to 466 that seal part number is 4.988-S (R III). I would check with any one of the suppliers here in the US as well as the major shops for that piece. 466 does not give any dimensions for the seal. But being that the camshafts themselves changed at the same time it is possible the seal's dimension could well have changed also. OTOH the factory was pretty good about dimensions - esp. for seals - so it is anyone's guess .

Steve

Actually, 466 gives the dimensions of the pre July 1961 seal as 18.4 x 23.8 x 2.7 which is pretty close to an AS-116 O-ring. I don't, however, see any seal listed in 466 for post July 1961 engines and, looking at Plate 1A of the repair manual, I also don't see "seal 47" shown anywhere. Did Citroen eliminate the O-ring when they went to the long spline camshaft?
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Fellow Frogger!

Hi John,

Know 466 gives the dimension of the older style. This is just a wild guess - the dimensions may not have changed, but the actual shape may have. Again, I would really suggest contacting one of the shops (Dave Burnham, Lon Price or some of the others). Carter at Dave's shop knows the pre 66 cars inside and out . Lon Price in Santa Cruz would most likely also have the info you need. As to actually getting the correct part. Miles does not have anything listed. Best bet could well be Brad Naus in addition to Dave and/or Lon.

Steve

The 'O' ring is actually an anti rattle measure. There is no actual seal for this area between the block and the bell housing. To make sure there is no leakage of oil I smear the joint with silicone sealant during assembly. The move to a longer spline drive for the auxiliary shaft obviated the need for the 'O' ring. The 'O' ring tended to go hard and became ineffective at reducing spline chatter.
    Cheers Gerry

Thanks for that. So oil that seeps past the end of the camshaft just gets trapped between the block and the upper chamber of the clutch housing and drains back to the block.

Glad to know there isn't supposed to be an O-ring after July '61 and I haven't left out a critical seal.
    Cheers,
    John T.

Looking more closely at Plate 1, I see that the groove for the O-ring on the pre-July '61 camshaft is in the middle of the splines so that when it is assembled the O-ring is jammed between the external splines on the camshaft and the internal splines on the stub shaft. It can't possibly be a camshaft oil seal since it is nowhere near the cam-to-block interface. It has to be an anti-rattle, or possibly acts as a sort of a C-clip, similar to the C-clip on the transmission input shaft.
    Cheers,
    John T.

Thread Information