XM Starter Motor Problem
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default XM Starter Motor Problem

Hi,

I need all the help I can get to sort out a strange starter motor problem on my V6 XM Estate. When the engine is cold it works fine, no problem but once hot, the starter motor seems not to be getting any power. Sometimes I can hear the soloniod click, sometimes not but the engine needs fully 2 hours to completely cool down before the starter motor will operate. It's not locking up or jaming; just seems like it's not getting any power. Previous owner warned me about this when I bought the car. He told me the safety switch on the auto box had been checked by a garage and was ok. The garage also said it could be a relay problem, or `high resistance in the main battery connection to the starter motor when the engine was hot'. Snake oil???

Best regards,

Advertisement

Jim

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by combwork
    Hi,

I need all the help I can get to sort out a strange starter motor problem on my V6 XM Estate. When the engine is cold it works fine, no problem but once hot, the starter motor seems not to be getting any power. Sometimes I can hear the soloniod click, sometimes not but the engine needs fully 2 hours to completely cool down before the starter motor will operate. It's not locking up or jaming; just seems like it's not getting any power. Previous owner warned me about this when I bought the car. He told me the safety switch on the auto box had been checked by a garage and was ok. The garage also said it could be a relay problem, or `high resistance in the main battery connection to the starter motor when the engine was hot'. Snake oil???

Best regards,

Jim
    Hmm,

next time it happens whip out and short the starter soleniod across the battery. Trace the soleniod wire up from the battery. It'll plug into somewhere eventually. Unplug this wire and short it to the battery. If the starter works you can rule it out.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Sounds similar to this also.
    Here's a possible solution.

2 Hours to cnage a starter; 2 minutes to replace a wire...your pick!!

Do a reading at the solenoid to see what voltage is getting through and as another option, fit a relay to the wire that activates the solenoid.
    If left for too long, it will eventually pit the contacts in the solenoid & not only create more problems but exacerbate the existing one.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

UFO

Shane

If you get the chance this weekend, have a look at where the starter is on a V6 XM It makes a DS starter change seem like the simplest thing you could think of when you can't think of something simple (thanks to Black Adder).

Jim, my XM does similar when hot and despite all the recommendations from qualified people, I still have not got around to sorting it, but one part of the solution will be to replace the old main feed lead from battery to starter etc as these were specced to a price not a long term longevity target. Therefore the old cable is now building up a heap of resistance which is of course exacerbated by heat (hot wire is more resistant).

I'm lead to believe that you should allow a generous amount of weekend time to get this sorted.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i take it the starter on these is on the back of the motor on the firewall side ??

the trouble with PRV engines also is the exhaust runs fairly close to the starter and hence heats up the solenoid

there are a few solutions

1 run a remote solenoid (of which i have never been able to work out)
    2 run a new main wire and connect up a relay
    3 place a good heat shield between the starter and the exhaust

don't worry guys the 604 has much the same problems and i run a relay and a heat shield and never have any more troubles after that
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

1000+ Posts

UFO is right there.

Took dad with me helping, and my sister helping after I had to go to work, 7 hours to get the starter in and out in our XM V6
    New Arrival at Keller House

Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    UFO is right there.

Took dad with me helping, and my sister helping after I had to go to work, 7 hours to get the starter in and out in our XM V6
    Derek.
    Geeze I used to complain about getting the SM out of the cruiser, removing it from the mounts was ok but I had to take off the shower and compressor to get it out of the car. The last time after burning a (insert auto sparky babble here) bit of it I had to replace the thing. 45mins to get it out and 30 to replace.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

It could be a bit like a BX 16V too.
    It can't be seen from above, neither can the alternator, but get under the front guard & clip the plastic inner guard off and it's sitting there in front of you and remove the radiatos, (5 X 10mm studs and two hoses) and the starter's looking you in the eye.
    You usually find with Cits that there is usually a certain way to access a lot of hard to get at parts quite simply that speeds the job up. Unfortunately, everyone goes looking for the shortcuts which take multiples of the required time to do.
    An RACQ guy told me a story of spending hours on the side of the road trying to access a starter on a D when a Cit mechanic came over after taking pity on him (and having a good laugh in the process) and to his total embarrassment accessed it in a couple of minutes. I'll be surprised if an XM was that easy but I'll bet quids there's a quicker way that the service guys know that the average bear has looking him in the eye & hasn't yet twigged.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole

Default Tjhanks Guys......

Thanks guys,

Looks like the basic problem was the starter solinoid relay; mounted back of the left hand headlamp. I've replaced this, and the starter fires ok. Needs a few clicks though when hot, so the solenoid contacts definately need looking at............I totally agree about the weird route needed to some Citroen componants; took me an hour to get the alternator off a BX TZD. Took me five minutes to get the bugger back on once I realised that the alternator needs to be released from its bracket in situ, the bracket needs to be unbolted from the block and the pair manouvered up past the radiator.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    It could be a bit like a BX 16V too.
    It can't be seen from above, neither can the alternator, but get under the front guard & clip the plastic inner guard off and it's sitting there in front of you and remove the radiatos, (5 X 10mm studs and two hoses) and the starter's looking you in the eye.
    You usually find with Cits that there is usually a certain way to access a lot of hard to get at parts quite simply that speeds the job up. Unfortunately, everyone goes looking for the shortcuts which take multiples of the required time to do.
    An RACQ guy told me a story of spending hours on the side of the road trying to access a starter on a D when a Cit mechanic came over after taking pity on him (and having a good laugh in the process) and to his total embarrassment accessed it in a couple of minutes. I'll be surprised if an XM was that easy but I'll bet quids there's a quicker way that the service guys know that the average bear has looking him in the eye & hasn't yet twigged.

Alan S

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Shane

If you get the chance this weekend, have a look at where the starter is on a V6 XM It makes a DS starter change seem like the simplest thing you could think of when you can't think of something simple (thanks to Black Adder).
    Bit like removing the alternator really. I still cannot believe how well hidden it was. Even after removing the plastic guard and some structural members, it was difficult to get at
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information