C4 Newbie technical help
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C4 Newbie technical help

Hi guys, I recently purchased a 2006 C4 1.6 HDi for my wife and have a couple of questions -
    When we bought it the first drive showed no turbo, and I found oil on the top of the solenoid and a little on the turbo join above it. This was repaired by the seller - the solenoud had stuck, was removed, cleaned and refitted. It now works well but there is still a recurring small oil build up on the top of the solenoid. Is this common? Is it wasily fixed? (My first turbo diesel)

Advertisement

Also on occasion over a big bump or with enthusiastic cornering the abs and ebd lights come on. They go off when restarting the car. Where should I look for the cause? Brake fluid level? Sensor? If fluid level, does it use dot4 or something else?

Thanks muchly
    Suus: Reimagined/Recycled/Upcycled Cool
    https://www.facebook.com/suusdesign

1000+ Posts

Did it come from a Peugeot or Citroen dealer? If not I'd get it to one of the independent mechanics in Melbourne who work on these engines all the time for comment. Our Melbourne AFers may offer some suggestions. I'm not clear where your oil is visible.

The 1.6 HDI engine, used by other makers as well, has a long life if correctly looked after, and gets into a lot of trouble if the wrong oil is used or is not changed at proper intervals. If not serviced correctly gunk builds up internally and can cause some expensive turbo failures.

If a wheel leaves the ground I'd expect some lights to come on. DOT4 is used.

Here's one blurb on turbos that have got into trouble:
    C4 Newbie technical help-t11.jpg

PSA has issued a French document with much the same in it. The oil MUST be Total Quartz INEO ECS 5w-30, or one of the few fully synthetic low ash equivalents.

Fellow Frogger!

Fellow Frogger!

1000+ Posts

There is an oil feed to the turbo shown in this pic (11). Is the leak coming from the connection at the top?
    C4 Newbie technical help-turbo-c4.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

No, definitely dry up there, I can't see any oil except right on top of the solenoid
    Suus: Reimagined/Recycled/Upcycled Cool
    https://www.facebook.com/suusdesign

1000+ Posts

Regarding the ABS & EBD lights coming on - 307s get the same symptoms, and it is often caused by a failing brake pedal switch (in the old days it would have been the brake light switch, but does a lot more these days).

Cheers

Alec

Thread Information