DSuper5 boot/trunk lining
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By badabec
  • 1 Post By bleudanube

Thread: DSuper5 boot/trunk lining

Default DSuper5 boot/trunk lining

Hello, I can't find any pictures of inside the boot of a DS. I'm not particularly concerned with 100% originality, I would just like an idea of the general finish of the boot.

Mine had black Hardura felt like this

Woolies Trim - Hardura Felt - Black

Is that pretty much the norm?

Advertisement

Thanks

Peter
    Vincenzo likes this.

Peter,

I went for the standard boot lining kit from Der Franzose in Germany, but I think most suppliers offer the same kits... They are not overly expensive and easier to use than trying to cut the carpet pieces yourself.

The kit fit pretty well, but takes two people to align once the carpet and the boot have glue applied -you only get one go! I sewed edging onto the exposed edges as I didn't like the fuzzy sisal backing showing.

DSuper5 boot/trunk lining-image.jpg

Sven
    badabec likes this.

Fellow Frogger

Yes, that's superficially the stuff you should expect in a boot trim kit from all of the usual suspects, but 3mm is very thin and will do little for damping. Hardura matting was used by others of the period, but generally with thicker felt. The texture as pictured will be a more coarse and pronounced 'grain' if you compared it to the original Citroen factory items. The Specials lacked covering on the wheel arches as found in a Pallas, which tends to be a water trap. However, the sound deadening effect means it's smart to just buy the Pallas kit and keep the car dry. Given the cost off the roll, the pre-cut kit is probably not unfair value and it will save you some time and wastage. It will likely need a little trimming around the edges though.
    Last edited by David S; 3rd July 2016 at 08:52 PM.

While the topic is on boots, has anyone done the backing board for the rear seat? They were originally really thick cardboard with a textured coating, ( sheet pasted on?)
    The one on my DSpecial disintegrated ages ago and was wondering where to look for replacement, Franzose ceased selling them awhile back I recall.
    David are you saying Specials actually made their way out of the factory with a boot floor lining?

Fellow Frogger

Marine ply perhaps? Masonite would work well. Once upon a time there would have been a bit of it floating about after an election or in front of a house for sale!

Don't take it as gospel, but original Specials I've seen have had just a mat over the bitumen sheet that is stuck to floor. Covering the lot as per Pallas dresses it up a little and will make it a bit quieter.

Sticking bitumous sheeting straight back to the floor is asking for rust under it when it gets wet. My solution was to lay down a heavy plastic sheet on the bare floor so it can be removed, roll a dynamat-like product into the grooves to give a flat base and than lay on some butyl sheets plus heavy soundproofing vinyl (Jaycar) and tape it all together into a sandwich that lives happily under the pretty new Hardura floormat. Similar treatment for the passenger footwells under the carpet with added felt underlay and foam so it's all removable. The original floor underlay was a cut sheet of (coconut?) matting sandwiched in bitumen and stuck to the floorpan - a real hassle to remove. Everyone will attack that problem a little differently though.
    Last edited by David S; 3rd July 2016 at 10:59 PM.

I thought the original was masonite, unless mine has been swaped out years ago. it had a simple geometric design stamped in it from memory. Reckon you could be forgiven for using anything that works well, the benefit with the masonite is it is dark and harmonises with the rest of the boot.

I removed the old bitumen shide from my floorpan it was a bitchoman to get off!

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    I removed the old bitumen shide from my floorpan it was a bitchoman to get off!
    Mine came off with the rust still attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Llewellyn View Post
    Mine came off with the rust still attached.

That wasn't rust, that was actually the floor.

SF

Thread Information