Newbie C5 owner
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Newbie C5 owner

Tadpole

Default Newbie C5 owner

Hi all,

I have been admiring C5's for years & bought my first C5 Tourer wagon (2009 2.7 Diesel). Glad to see an Aussie forum. I have a few questions I hope I can clear up as getting different info from all over.

It didn't come with any manual or service books so I don't know if timing belt has been done. Car is on amazing condition, done 131000 kms & runs perfect. Citroen said T belt needs doing at 100k but the last place that serviced it (from sticker on screen) looked up on his system and said that landrover type engine they have (found in Lrovers, territory etc) only needs the Tbelt changed at 240,000kms. Q: How can I tell if it's been done by looking at engine & what kms should I do it at? Any idea of cost to compare against quote?

Advertisement

Also, anyone in Perth/WA know of a good Citroen guy or workshop that don't charge ridiculously & have a good reputation?

many thanks.

If you don't know the history of the car, you're essentially playing cambelt roulette.

C6 timing belt change discusses changing the timing belt in the C6 (which also mostly had the 2.7L V6). Seems that 5yr/100k km is the recommended interval.
    2011 Citroen C5 - 'La Barge'

I think it's originally 100K miles, so 160K here.

1000+ Posts

Ateco were the distributors then, and service books issued by them give every 4 years or 100,000 km for the belt. (p 19)
    Sime Darby, who now distribute the cars, give longer intervals. I don't know if belts have changed, but I doubt it.

2008 is the last publicly issued mechanics' handbook for the C5 X7, only in French, and it gives the details for changing the belt. See http://service.citroen.com/dtt/CDP/d...II/2008_c5.zip. The 2.7 L HDI engine has code UHZ, and the info is at pages 299-311 under "CONTR‘LE DE LA DISTRIBUTION"

Nobody has yet mentioned this, but the most important thing for a new owner to know is to use the correct C2 spec low ash oil (Total and Penrite can supply). Anything else can bring on a host of expensive problems. These cars are fitted with particle filtration, and if it's working you'll get a clean finger when you rub the inside of the tail pipe. At about 160,000 the computer will tell you to renew the Eolys catalyst that is used to burn out the particle filter. A long country or motorway run with consistent moderate speed will trigger a filter regeneration. Try to do one soon.

PS Owners' manuals are online, either on Citroen's clumsy site, or from hire operators, like this - http://www.ukandeuropetravel.com/ima...s-Handbook.pdf (British, so mph)
    Last edited by seasink; 28th June 2016 at 09:06 PM.

Here are a few links you might like to check. I have a 2.0l hdi RHR engine at 133kkm and havn't done the belt yet.

Peugeot Workshop Information

C4 HDi Timing Belt Replacement Interval

Cheers,

Ken

Tadpole

Thanks so much for the quick replies. That's great.
    i tried calling Citroen Australia and also Perths local distributor/yard to see if I could buy an owners manual (just would be good to have one in the glovebox) but they say they don't sell them. I'll try to find one via a wrecker I suppose.
    if anyone hears of a 2008 C5 owners manual available Let me know and I'll buy it.

thanks again.

1000+ Posts

Try eBay for a manual.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger

BM Spares in Melbourne should have a handbook as they've dismantled a few now.

Keep an eye out for leaking injector return hoses as they are under slight pressure. The thermostat housing and the outlet housing down the front of the block are plastic and become brittle after several years, so consider changing those before they break and cook your engine.

Largely a Gambling question.

I've seen a belt long overdue that was well worn, but functioning ... as to when it might break, who knows.... but the cost can be rather breathtaking.

The "usual" interval in older models is 100K but perhaps your model is more robust.
    Experienced Citroen mechanics should hold a view.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

UK owner's manual link for 2008 model: http://info.citroen.co.uk/assets/mic...s-Handbook.pdf
    2011 Citroen C5 - 'La Barge'

Thread Information