RE: Citroen Xantia Heater Blower Fan
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By addo

Thread: RE: Citroen Xantia Heater Blower Fan

Default RE: Citroen Xantia Heater Blower Fan

Hi Gang

I'm perplexed. As we have hit the depths of winter my heater blower fan has decided to stop working. I did the obvious and checked the fuse (#20 30A). All good here.

I then proceeded to remove the heater blower itself and checked it by connecting it to a 12V power supply. It did hesitate at first but did spin up. Possibly past it's use by date?

I did some further investigating and decided the best course of action was to replace the heater blower resistor. Unfortunately this didn't resolve the issue either.

I pulled out the Haynes Manual yet again; specifically section 13●49 item CA00 Anti-theft/ignition switch. The brown plug running off this controls whether the heater blower receiver power or not. I attached a multimeter to this and got some odd results (see attached).

Could the motor itself be the problem? I don't understand why I would be getting such a big voltage drop when the ignition is on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Advertisement

Jase
    Attached Files Attached Files

There are several threads on this problem and causes. One issue is the lack of a relay and consequent overloading of the ignition switch itself with too much current through it. There was a Citroen "fix instruction" but I think most are only done when the fan stops.

If you go hunting, I think there are instructions here somewhere, or maybe someone who has done it will take pity and repost!

Good luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hopefully it is only worn out brushes on the motor. These can be purchased on ebay or from independent mechanics. I have had to replace the brushes on the motors of both my Xantia blower motors. As an interim measure on one, I did turn the brushes over so it wore down the points while replacement brushes were ordered and delivered.

Cheers, Ken

Jase - I pulled the below info off another thread I started re this topic:

Series II - '00 Xantia heater blower not working, attempts to rectify and final solution as follows:

1. Replaced the resistor ($13 job from China) in the fan body = still no fan

2. With the fan motor pulled out of the body, I have been able to operate the fan, full bore, by connecting to a 12V battery. The fan brushes are down to about 10mm – I have two new ones on order

3. Checked all relevant fuses – all OK (Haynes Manual F21 & F5 – blower, whereas Owners Handbook indicates F20 heater blower power, F2 fan control)?? = still no fan

4. Tested relay (Series II has a green blower relay just above accelerator pedal). Even bought a Navara brand and tried it but still no blower fan = still no fan

5. Checked significant electrical connections (x2) under passenger side carpet (base of A Pillar); appears OK = still no fan

6. Pulled the, some call it ECU others ACU (Air Control Unit) which resides just left of the console, next to the pollen filter. It is a cigarette size black plastic box with significant thin wires. This all looked good, no visible corrosion etc = still no fan

7. The light on the dashboard air conditioning switch is dull. Some blogs suggest this is a wire issue from Fuse 5 to the relay

8. Removed the ignition, checked all wires = still no fan

9. Success - purchased a blower fan off a '00 Exclusive wreck, fitted and problem solved (didn't get around to fitting brushes to the old fan motor, when I get around to it will report back)
    Last edited by sparkey; 29th June 2016 at 08:54 AM.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

Out of interest, do you know whether there is a relay fitted? If not, cheap insurance.

Nice result though.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

There is definitely a relay fitted in facelift Xantiś. It's a 70A unit with the larger blades on terminals 86 and 87, resistor (not diode) protected. Equivalent commercial item is the Narva 68012 relay.
    JohnW and forumnoreason like this.

Hi Gang

Thanks for all the replies. I've been looking at getting some new brushes. The best thus far is through ebay (see link). Any suggestions?

I've also been trying to work out if it could be a relay issue. I can't find anywhere a diagram indicating which relay is which in a Series 1 Xantia.

As for the fuses. I believe Series 1 it is F20 while Series 2 it is F21. Correct me if I'm wrong???

Cheers

Jase

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoflyfpv View Post
    Hi Gang

I've also been trying to work out if it could be a relay issue. I can't find anywhere a diagram indicating which relay is which in a Series 1 Xantia.

Cheers

Jase

That's the point - Series I Xantiae did not have a relay for the cabin fan - all the power for that hungry fan was channeled through the ignition switch, which got hot, then failed.

Citroen mechanics such as Tom Dolan were aware of this design flaw, and added a relay to the circuit to protect the ignition switch, so your car may have one, but of course it won't appear on any wiring diagram.

I was taught when I first got a Xantia that if the cabin fan wasn't working, try wriggling/jiggling the key - if burnt contacts in the ignition switch was the problem, then this would sometimes get the fan working again, albeit briefly...

Cheers

Alec

Thread Information