CX with roo bar
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: CX with roo bar

Default CX with roo bar

Hi all
    Just fitted a roo bar to my wagon, as I want to use it to go to Perth and back a bit more. It was of a Ford Falcon and fitted with only a slight modification. Even the angles are perfectly aligned to the bumper.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX with roo bar-1466694683026.jpg   CX with roo bar-1466694922160.jpg   CX with roo bar-1466695310767.jpg  
    Wayne
    Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here you may as well dance

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

Nice job. When I drive outback I drive in the daytime and haven't seen a kangaroo once. I hope it does not effect the aerodynamics too much
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

1000+ Posts

It fits well, but I'm not sure the number plate is readable at 45 degrees off from the centre line. You don't want a defect notice on an old classic. You not only get the fine but a large list of make-good orders when the government inspector crawls over and under the car.

Nice.

Just move the plate forward a bit.

Roger
    Vincenzo and Kenfuego like this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yes that looks the part. You know if you plated down the crush members, there maybe enough strength there too take a low speed strike without buckling the CX's front end too. You really need a heavy 4wd chassis to take a heavy 'roo impact without destroying the cars structure I'd imagine

I've found putting a 'roo bar on my vehicles causes me to have 'roos jump out infront of me. I put one on the wank tank here and went from not seeing a roo in years, to have several very near misses within a couple of months

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Kenfuego and Fordman like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I have hit a few roos over the years. Even if you are going slowly they do damage, at the very least a headlight. The only time I have hit one and done no damage was in my Land-Rover with a huge roo bar on the front. The roo just bounced off it.

Roger

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    I have hit a few roos over the years. Even if you are going slowly they do damage, at the very least a headlight. The only time I have hit one and done no damage was in my Land-Rover with a huge roo bar on the front. The roo just bounced off it.

Roger
    In a car, I reckon the idea of a bullbar is not to come out unscathed. rather to not be stranded. My sister inlaw has hit many 'roos. So you still destroy the front bullbar attchment points, destroy the bar, possibly smash headlights, bumpers, bonnets.... BUT you still have a drivable car as the radiator hasn't been taken out. So you not stranded on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, out of mobile service after dark (which is what happens when the sister inlaw takes out more wildlife).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    In a car, I reckon the idea of a bullbar is not to come out unscathed. rather to not be stranded. My sister inlaw has hit many 'roos. So you still destroy the front bullbar attchment points, destroy the bar, possibly smash headlights, bumpers, bonnets.... BUT you still have a drivable car as the radiator hasn't been taken out. So you not stranded on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, out of mobile service after dark (which is what happens when the sister inlaw takes out more wildlife).
    That's the intention for me, ended up making the mounts off the over rider bolts, so for protection wise probably not the strongest place. Even though I'm in a city of 40,000 people I am close to a river and reserve and regularly have roo's hopping down the street and in my yard (nearly took one out at 6:45am going to work in the Alfa one morning ), also generally head to Perth (400 kms) in the evening (car and me run cooler, less traffic etc). Will investigate the number plate being too far back as well.
    Wayne
    Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here you may as well dance

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

1000+ Posts

Looks good;which model foulcan?

Quote Originally Posted by alhantos View Post
    Looks good;which model foulcan?
    2004 BA Falcon
    Fordman likes this.
    Wayne

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

That I would/could believe, as for the CX - can't see it. So, if one wants a CX; all they got to do is get hold of a BA Falcon and put roo bars on it.

Quote Originally Posted by d coupe View Post

2004 BA Falcon

My xm is one of the few citroens i have had without a roo bar.
    My DS in WA had a custom made one,working in the bush meant a few bounced off it.
    Was parked in Fremantle once when a french navy ship was visiting,some frog sailors noticed the ds with the bar,
    lots of photos and asking why i had one.
    Main reason to have one was like Double chevron said, hit one but still be able to motor on.

The best bet is not to hit roos. They don't 'bounce off' as they are not made of rubber but meat. After all roos have feelings too. So when you see a roo on the road don't run it over you bastards. The other good idea I have is throw away the roo bar and mount a couple of bean bags on the front of your car. Then maybe the roo won't bounce off and you might even become friends with it. Sure will look better than that god awful pergola you call a roo bar.
    cheers Tony
    IWS likes this.

Tony, perhaps if you lived in a rural area rather than Melbourne, and you drove regularly through kangaroo country, you might feel differently. None of us want to hit the roos. The problem is they are not made of brain. So those of us who regularly drive through kangaroo areas do what we can to minimise the risk of hitting one and the damage when we do.

Roger
    Fingers and FedGrapes like this.

Tony, perhaps if you lived in a rural area rather than Melbourne, and you drove regularly through kangaroo country, you might feel differently. None of us want to hit the roos. The problem is they are not made of brain. So those of us who regularly drive through kangaroo areas do what we can to minimise the risk of hitting one and the damage when we do.

Roger
    Have to agree. Roos are not good in traffic! And they have mass....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Roger
    I was recently returning home from area south west of Roma at night time. Mate was driving his older landcruiser with bars, high beam and spotties on. The roadside had grass that was higher than knee height. The read edge appeared clear of roos, but apparently they were hidden by the grass. All of a sudden four or five smaller roos/wallabies charge across the road. Mate started breaking as he saw them. Over a shot distance of travel some 30+ crossed the road in very quick succession, four to six at a time. We managed to avoid hitting the vast majority of them, but there was no way could avoid all of them. We were out of phone range, at 11 pm. It would have been a long cold walk for help without the bars. On an other lever, it was so comical it was funny at the time.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

I have one question to ask....does it impact on the inherent safety structure of the car in terms of crumple zones.....this issue has been brought up many times by Govt. through ADR's.....

I drove the black bitch (407 SV) across to Perth and back, late last year/beginning of this year and after Adelaide did not see one wild animal, either alive or dead.

Quote Originally Posted by AusGrenouille View Post
    I drove the black bitch (407 SV) across to Perth and back, late last year/beginning of this year and after Adelaide did not see one wild animal, either alive or dead.
    Went across to the Cit In at Adelaide a few years back and drove across in the night, the roo's out from Mundrabilla was incredibly thick, estimated that I saw over 600 roos during that night.
    Graelin likes this.
    Wayne

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

Quote Originally Posted by AusGrenouille View Post
    It does vary. I can remember not being game to drive over 60 kph coming into Border Village from the west, Mundrabilla onwards. Very difficult driving with 'roos everywhere. I saw a car once that hit a wombat too, front wheel under the passenger side front door!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Rule is never drive at dusk, dawn, or night. The amount of road kill we saw when we went to the flinders ranges was terrible. Why would you want to drive at night, the countryside is so beautiful you should want to see it.
    JohnW and old coot like this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

The prevalence of wild life depends quite a bit on the weather. In good seasons, they breed like rabbits (or kangaroos) and are everywhere. A female roo can have 2 or even 3 joeys at different stages of development at any given time if the season is good. If bad she can hold an embryo in a type of suspended animation in the womb until things improve. When it is dry like it has been for the past 2 years (before this rain in last 3 months) they don't breed as much but those that are around tend to gather closer to roads to graze on any green pick in the table drains beside the road. Any rain that does fall is magnified at the edges where it runs off the road so the grass there is normally greener and thicker / widespread. Thus more chance of a close encounter with a vehicle. In winter with limited sunshine hours per day it is hard to get to and from work without seeing a couple of roos as they are basically nocturnal but still hanging about until about 8.30 or so if it is still cool enough. And at zero degrees here this morning, it is indeed cool enough.

As Greg says the idea is to try not to be out on the road before dawn or after dusk. And to take extra care if you have to be. I headbutted a roo about 300 metres from home last month about 6.30pm on the way home from work, but as I was half expecting it I was only doing 60 Klms in a 100 zone and got down to about 20 by the point of impact so neither of us suffered much damage. He rolled into the table drain and scampered away and I got a cracked plastic grill on the Kluger. Not enough damage to worry about until a bigger strike does enough for an insurance claim. I'm on 25 acres about 8 Klms from town and am de-facto supporter of a mob of about 15 to 20 kangaroos who move around between properties in this area at will. It's a small holdings area of 5 to 25 acres lots mostly and only a few have dogs so there would be about 200 roos within 3 klm radius doing exactly the same on the other properties in that area I'd say. Last night I went out to look at the stars and had 3 or 4 in the darkness about 5 metres from the back door casually eating my grass. But it doesn't have to be dark as this photo taken about 8.00 am one day shows. This familiarity with mankind is probably breeding some contempt / complacency and could be responsible for some of the close encounters. But have no fear, the eastern grey kangaroo is not an endangered species around western NSW despite numerous unfortunate deaths interacting with vehicles.
    CX with roo bar-img_0146.jpg
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Rule is never drive at dusk, dawn, or night. The amount of road kill we saw when we went to the flinders ranges was terrible. Why would you want to drive at night, the countryside is so beautiful you should want to see it.
    Unfortunately most of my trips are at night, I will go to Perth after work, quite often leave at 7 - 8pm thus missing dusk. Car runs better, less traffic, and mostly the roos are abated.
    Graelin likes this.
    Wayne

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

Yes, for a lot of us, we have no choice when we travel.
    That said, Mrs Fingers and I have only hit 5 roo's between us in a combined 70 years of driving, mostly on country roads.

Fellow Frogger!

CX with roo bar-image.jpg

CX with roo bar-image.jpg
    I spent some time in August with two injured motorcyclists east of Madura A roo hit them and although they rider and pillion held the bike up his wife was badly injured. It took three hours for an ambulance and the flying doctor could not land due to severe weather. They were driven in to South Australia by ambulance then flown to Adelaide. On the trip back just above the Madura Pass a car was stranded due to no bar and a roo hit.

Sometimes we see none out there other times we see them.
    Last edited by Graelin; 30th June 2016 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Madura not Mundabilla

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information