• 7 Post By Bushyben
  • 1 Post By CEyssens
  • 1 Post By Bushyben
  • 2 Post By Bushyben
  • 1 Post By Budge

Thread: Finally have my ID Safari home!

Default Finally have my ID Safari home!

Hey everyone!

Loong time no post :-) Just thought I'd show you my little project, should just need some tyres for Road Worthy? (Haha I wish) Probably won't do a full restoration because of time and $... It's a BVH.

Might need some tips from time to time...

Advertisement

Cheers,
    Ben

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk

Nice one Ben.... Looks like a bit of a challenge, all the best, have lot of fun with it, I'll be looking forward to seeing it progress.
    cheers Craig
    pynhead likes this.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Very good, Ben. You know where to come for help. For a BVH wagon, it must be a fairly late one.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Nice one Ben - and it looks like you've got yourself a decent workspace there too. Looking forward to picking up a few tips.

Budge

Thanks guys! It's 1971 which I don't think they made much longer due to no park gear? It sure will be a challange, been completely pulled apart. The main thing is doing one thing at a time I reckon. First is replacing hydraulic hoses, re gassing spheres, flushing hydraulics... Then making it idle so at least I can push it around. Then want to work on getting dash together :-) I believe there's only a hand full of BVH Safaris in the country?
    Cheers,
    Ben

UFO likes this.

Did this come from Sydney?

Nope, last time it was registered was in Victoria. Last rego sticker is 1988. I'm in QLD...

love to see some more pics, cool car btw!

Drool!

SF.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    love to see some more pics, cool car btw!
    Here's some more pics, it's not "pretty" as it is but love it none the less. Has anyone just used a matte black for the dash? Want to paint it but not spend lots on powder coating etc...

CXVingtCinq and forumnoreason like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushyben View Post
    Has anyone just used a matte black for the dash? Want to paint it but not spend lots on powder coating etc...
    There's been a very recent thread on here (last 10 days?) about using VHT wrinkle paint in rattle cans. I've seen a glovebox painted in this way here in the UK and it blended in with the rest of the dash perfectly.

I'm planning to use VHT on the speedo and grey under dash of my 60s car - though getting the size of the wrinkles on the dash will be tricky.

Paul
    frog likes this.

I notice the missing rear window. I had one of these Safaris in the seventies with a cracked perspex rear window and I managed to cut a sheet of (4mm?) acrylic, heated it with a 3 bar electric radiant heater and draped it over the removed tailgate. I used several layers of sheets to stop marking the acrylic then when it was formed to my satisfaction which took about three heats I cut the edges to fit and fitted it with the rubber extrusion. I see your rubber is missing but I think there is a standard Clark rubber section which will do.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    There's been a very recent thread on here (last 10 days?) about using VHT wrinkle paint in rattle cans. I've seen a glovebox painted in this way here in the UK and it blended in with the rest of the dash perfectly.

I'm planning to use VHT on the speedo and grey under dash of my 60s car - though getting the size of the wrinkles on the dash will be tricky.

Paul
    Thanks Budge, I did notice that post. Was thinking Matte Black qould be easier to paint? Will have to track down the wrinkle paint I reckon ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotFrog View Post
    I notice the missing rear window. I had one of these Safaris in the seventies with a cracked perspex rear window and I managed to cut a sheet of (4mm?) acrylic, heated it with a 3 bar electric radiant heater and draped it over the removed tailgate. I used several layers of sheets to stop marking the acrylic then when it was formed to my satisfaction which took about three heats I cut the edges to fit and fitted it with the rubber extrusion. I see your rubber is missing but I think there is a standard Clark rubber section which will do.

SF
    Thanks Scotfrog,

I have actually got the rear glass for it! Like most things with this wagon it has just been pulled apart..

Cheers,
    Ben

Love that old Solar Not Nuclear sticker on the rear window.
    I've had good experience with the VHT paint on a rocker cover, I used my girlfriend at the times hair dryer to make it wrinkle evenly.

supercheap have VHT? google it. yes that solar not nuclear might have been a defence mechanism sometime around 1985???

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Ben, Great to see another safari being rescued, you might have noticed my posting of the safari I got a couple of months ago. Mine is a '68 manual in similar condition to yours. How far nth are you & will you be at the FCD next week. cheers Dave
    Just a duckin' & a weavin'

Quote Originally Posted by Halfbrick View Post
    Hi Ben, Great to see another safari being rescued, you might have noticed my posting of the safari I got a couple of months ago. Mine is a '68 manual in similar condition to yours. How far nth are you & will you be at the FCD next week. cheers Dave
    G'day dave,

Not sure yet about next weekend... Oh cool to hear you have one too. I haven't seen the post, how far back will I find it? The 68 has turning headlights or a earlier one? Cheers, Ben

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Bushyben View Post
    Thanks guys! It's 1971 which I don't think they made much longer due to no park gear? It sure will be a challange, been completely pulled apart. The main thing is doing one thing at a time I reckon. First is replacing hydraulic hoses, re gassing spheres, flushing hydraulics... Then making it idle so at least I can push it around. Then want to work on getting dash together :-) I believe there's only a hand full of BVH Safaris in the country?
    Cheers,
    Ben

Yes any post 1972 BVH DS in the country is likely to be a private import such as the one Gerry Freed used to own and is still existent in the hands of an AF member in northern Sydney. The steering wheel on yours is correct for an earlier third nose.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Yes any post 1972 BVH DS in the country is likely to be a private import such as the one Gerry Freed used to own and is still existent in the hands of an AF member in northern Sydney. The steering wheel on yours is correct for an earlier third nose.
    So this is the correct steering wheel for this CitroŽn? I do have another steering wheel also. Yes I do believe it would of been a private import. Hope I manage to get it on the road :-)

Thread Information