C4 battery dramas (again!!!)
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C4 battery dramas (again!!!)

Today went to start the C4 (2008 1.6 diesel EGS model), and guess what it doesn't want to go.
    No power, just some relay clicking but no engine turnover and lights very dim if not at all.
    Was driving fine one day, and then next day was dead with no pre warning.

Advertisement

Prior to this I had the battery replaced in June 2013. The original Varta battery from France had lasted 6 years, but then it literally died overnight in June 2013. I got the NRMA battery service to replace the battery with a new one and $250 later all was good.

Until today !

NRMA came out an found this battery was now dead (after only 3 years.)
    New battery and car is fine and my wallet is $285 lighter.

I expected to get more than 3 years out of the battery. especially with a NRMA supplied battery and not some cheapie from K Mart.

Interestingly, in 2013, the anti pollution warning light had come on a few weeks prior and remained on which cleared after the new battery was installed.
    This time the anti pollution warning light didn't come on. But the rear wiper on the tailgate would occasionally operate for no reason. So maybe another warning sign to be aware of.

Oh the joys of owning a Citroen. great when they work, but I nightmare when they don't.

Glenn
    Sydney

1000+ Posts

It isn't just Cits. Cars with computers and sensors that never shut down really work batteries.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Seasink makes a good point. Have you had the car checked out? I know on some cars the body control module gets a little wonky and does things like intermittently leave, say, the courtesy light on. Also, VERY carefully check your battery cables, fusebox connections, fuse clips, main ground connection and the alternator connections for any sign of corrosion. The corrosion means a higher amperage draw for units that do stay on, meaning more wear on the battery. Gotta remember: newer cars, especially with a CAN-BUS system or multiplexed electronics are extremely sensitive to wear and tear, and it will kill a battery.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

The original equipment batteries aren't too bad. I expect no more than 3 years from any battery sourced here in Australia, NRMA, Kmart or otherwise. There is no drama here!
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's.

'19 308 GTi
    '15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

Fellow Frogger!

No I hadn't left any thing on to flatten the battery.
    The NRMA mechanic hooked up his little battery analyzer and found the battery was dead. He also checked that charging was working (yes) and also for amp leakage from the battery with everything switched off (there wasn't any).

It was just a simple issue of the battery lasting only 3 years. As XM Mechanic said, if you get 3 years from an Aussie battery then that is standard.

I think next time I'll try and source a Varta battery, as the original one that was fitted originally and lasted me 6 years might be worthwhile pursuing. The Aussie battery is expensive enough so nothing to lose there.

Glenn

NRMA batteries = Average auto barn etc . I bought a 40 month warranty one recently.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

The best warranty NRMA do on their premium batteries is 3 years (and only 1 year on their standard batteries), clearly they are only expecting them to last just over the warranty period in a modern car. From the experience of other family members I think NRMA batteries are relatively expensive.

On the advice of a factory trained mechanic (trained in France) I have only been running SuperCharge Batteries in my cars for the last 12 or so years. The SuperCharge battery for your C4 would be the MF55 Gold Plus 590 CCA. They have a 40 month Warranty for private use. Prices may vary but my local independent battery supplier will come out to my place and fit one for $160.

Interestingly, this is the same battery which I have in both the C2s.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

Fellow Frogger!

Hi gembee. I also would feel short changed with only 3 years battery life, when you have 6 years from the original battery. On this thread http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/toa...ml#post1426673 I commented that there are some batteries in the market appear to have premium components and should have good life.

Here is one that I think is good. http://www.bondbatteries.com.au/inde...tive-batteries

Sorry guys, batteries are a manufactured item. Some manufactured items last longer than others! A name on the side is no guarantee! I remember some decades ago where 2 brand new EXIDE batteries failed within weeks (or was it days) and all the battery guy could say was "shit happens. The third one went for years I do not remember how many years but I was happy with it.

Nevertheless, I would expect that a Varta battery coming into the country would under go more stringent Quality Control tests so that it does not go back (dumped).

John

Thread Information