DS boot hinges
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: DS boot hinges

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! Vincenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    162

    Default DS boot hinges

    Hi guys, my bootlid hinges are on the way out and it seems that rehabilitating them is going to expensive and time consuming whichever way I head. Grind the chrome off, buff and smooth, coat with copper and send out for chroming - all of which will take lotsa dollars. OR do I just buy some aluminium ones and polish them up?

    The current price I have on the new aluminium is 139 euros, which now doesn't seem so bad at all by comparison. I have heard that someone out there does a stainless steel version but haven't found them yet. The electroplater seemed to think that buying a pair of those would be the way to go... he didn't really want to touch the originals.

    Your advice and experience would be appreciated!

    Cheers
    Vince

    Advertisement
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

    Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

  2. #2
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,185

    Icon3

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    Hi guys, my bootlid hinges are on the way out and it seems that rehabilitating them is going to expensive and time consuming whichever way I head. Grind the chrome off, buff and smooth, coat with copper and send out for chroming - all of which will take lotsa dollars. OR do I just buy some aluminium ones and polish them up?

    The current price I have on the new aluminium is 139 euros, which now doesn't seem so bad at all by comparison. I have heard that someone out there does a stainless steel version but haven't found them yet. The electroplater seemed to think that buying a pair of those would be the way to go... he didn't really want to touch the originals.

    Your advice and experience would be appreciated!

    Cheers
    Vince
    Hi Vince
    I've been following the progress on your car, the team in 'The Shed' are certainly going the extra mile - starting to come together nicely now

    With regard to the rear boot hinges have you investigated Chrome powdercoating, at my last visit to my local guy he showed me some samples that were very impressive- the finish can be very close to traditional chrome, just a thought

    Have a look here for examples
    Chrome Powder Coating

    Cheers
    Chris
    Vincenzo likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! ds21bvh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Hi Vince,

    I had some alloy ones polished to a high shine. I need to hand buff them every 6 months or so, but they still look good 3 years later...
    Cheers,
    Mark...
    Vincenzo likes this.

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! Vincenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Hi Chris,

    Thanks for that - I'd never heard of chrome powdercoating so that's something to consider. I liked the examples, they seemed more understated than the brilliance of chrome, and that is more to my liking. The existing bubbly chrome will be gone by Saturday and from that point I will have decisions to make. There is an experimental process that layers a zinc/aluminium(?) alloy on and should polish up very nicely I'm told. I'm not going to be too precious about the hinges as they will be easy to swap out if I have to..

    Yes, the lads from the shed have done a fantastic job and I have learnt a lot. Forgotten about half but since I'm generally taking orders from them ("no, you will not put a supercharger on the motor" or "Mitre10 10mm bolts are not appropriate now clean that bit there") and as I'm just doing what I'm told, it will all work out in the end.

    To think that this all really started with one cylinder losing a bit of compression at low revs. Next minute, total restoration... and I still don't have that retroradio unit for the dashboard.

    The The Shed blog hasn't been updated for a while due to media blasters taking for-effing-ever on the chassis and now it's waiting for a clear space in my 'beaters schedule. Not a lot to do, about a weeks work he reckons. And then the jigsaw gets started!!

    V

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Hi Vince
    I've been following the progress on your car, the team in 'The Shed' are certainly going the extra mile - starting to come together nicely now

    With regard to the rear boot hinges have you investigated Chrome powdercoating, at my last visit to my local guy he showed me some samples that were very impressive- the finish can be very close to traditional chrome, just a thought

    Have a look here for examples
    Chrome Powder Coating

    Cheers
    Chris
    GreenBlood likes this.
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

    Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

  5. #5
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,185

    Icon3

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    Hi Chris,

    Thanks for that - I'd never heard of chrome powdercoating so that's something to consider. I liked the examples, they seemed more understated than the brilliance of chrome, and that is more to my liking. The existing bubbly chrome will be gone by Saturday and from that point I will have decisions to make. There is an experimental process that layers a zinc/aluminium(?) alloy on and should polish up very nicely I'm told. I'm not going to be too precious about the hinges as they will be easy to swap out if I have to..

    Yes, the lads from the shed have done a fantastic job and I have learnt a lot. Forgotten about half but since I'm generally taking orders from them ("no, you will not put a supercharger on the motor" or "Mitre10 10mm bolts are not appropriate now clean that bit there") and as I'm just doing what I'm told, it will all work out in the end.

    To think that this all really started with one cylinder losing a bit of compression at low revs. Next minute, total restoration... and I still don't have that retroradio unit for the dashboard.

    The The Shed blog hasn't been updated for a while due to media blasters taking for-effing-ever on the chassis and now it's waiting for a clear space in my 'beaters schedule. Not a lot to do, about a weeks work he reckons. And then the jigsaw gets started!!

    V
    I'll follow with interest your conversion to BVH, quite envious. . .

    Now don't be tempted by Roger's Continental Edison, nice original touch though it might be

    The chrome powdercaoting is available in gloss and satin, the satin would suit the rocker cover for an easy clean yet close to original appearance.

    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! Vincenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Hi Mark,

    Is that the OEM hinges de-chromed and then polished up? I'm going to try doing that first and see how it goes, I've just never seen any to compare with or use as a benchmark. Rebuffing every 6 months or so is not an issue - cleaning the car is a monthly job involving many kilometers.... in fact I want to do a a photo series over time. "Places I've Polished My Car" or some such. Beaches, mountains, rural road lookouts etc. Just for fun..

    Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Hi Vince,

    I had some alloy ones polished to a high shine. I need to hand buff them every 6 months or so, but they still look good 3 years later...
    Cheers,
    Mark...
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

    Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! ds21bvh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Hi Vince,
    I just had some good ID ones which are just made of alloy....
    Cheers,
    Mark...
    Vincenzo likes this.

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! Vincenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Now don't be tempted by Roger's Continental Edison, nice original touch though it might be
    Yes Chris... He refused my offer of 50 euros, harumph. As always it comes down to that usual compromise - bang vs buck. There are other interior bits that need the dollar more and easily understood by the Senior Partner. <Upholstery, tick VS "you spent $1000 on WHAT!">..

    Quite excited about the coming BVH experience myself. Running through scenarios that might give the odd problem, steep hill starts for one. Admittedly, I've heard of only one horror story that gave me cause for concern.. but then we have a lot of steep starts waiting for traffic lights in NZ.

    The powdercoater I approached tonight basically just said 'nah' not enough call for it and it's expensive stuff to sit on a shelf.. and they promote themselves as Auckland's most comprehensive powder coating network. It'll all come out in wash, maybe the alloy will look fabulous with a good buff.
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

    Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

  9. #9
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    The powdercoater I approached tonight basically just said 'nah' not enough call for it and it's expensive stuff to sit on a shelf.. and they promote themselves as Auckland's most comprehensive powder coating network. It'll all come out in wash, maybe the alloy will look fabulous with a good buff.
    Pretty short sighted of your powdercoater, I might go ahead and get a quote from our Brisbane supplier (Roberto's Powdercoating) I have a very good spare set of aluminium hinges and if not too costly am willing to experiment. I'll let you know how I get on. . .

    Cheers
    Chris
    Vincenzo likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Posts
    676

    Default

    You can powder coat aluminum castings at home. I did a set on injection manifolds for my SM IE with Eastwood powder coating and they came out quite nicely. For best results, have your local plate shop "alodyne" the parts as a primer coat (this leaves a conductive finish that prevents the aluminum underneath from oxidizing). Wait for SWMBO to go shopping, then bake the bare parts at 450F for 30 minutes to drive out any contaminants that may come out of the porosity, wipe clean, allow to cool, wipe clean with solvent, then apply the powder coating and cure as per the instructions (usually 450F for 5-10 minutes, then 400F for 20 minutes).
    forumnoreason and Vincenzo like this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

    54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! ScotFrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Elphinstone Victoria
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Hi Vincenzo,
    If you can get your aluminium surfaces perfect by hand preparation, so perfect it looks like satin chrome, no scratch marks, no blemishes then you can 'flash chrome'. This deposits a true chrome surface and resists oxidising and deterioration over time. Used extensively by the whitegoods industry e.g. extruded alloy bezels. It's what I intend to do with mine.

    SF
    Vincenzo likes this.

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts michaelr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,393

    Default

    Not sure if this has been really addressed yet. The lower spec cars used aluminium boot hinges. They are extremely durable and can be polished to quite a high shine.

    The Pallas car, sadly were fitted with chrome plated hinges made of some terrible pot metal. When they corrode the base gets pitted making it extremely difficult to refinish.

    For my Pallas I obtained a pair of D Special aluminium hinges and buffed them. For those wanting a chrome finish it may be better to get an Aluminium pair chromed.

    I had some pot metal ones chromed but the result was very disappointing.
    Vincenzo likes this.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

    DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger! bleudanube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Agree with Michael and Mark: polished my D super ones and they came up well.... However, I find they do dull quite quickly again and tried to clear lacquer over the polished surface. But that wasn't overly successful, so now I will just have to rebuff them from time to time to keep them shiny...

    Sven

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger! Vincenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    162

    Default

    I agree but then I guess he knows his market better than I do. Would love to know how it all goes - I'm quite intrigued with the chrome powdercoating.

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Pretty short sighted of your powdercoater, I might go ahead and get a quote from our Brisbane supplier (Roberto's Powdercoating) I have a very good spare set of aluminium hinges and if not too costly am willing to experiment. I'll let you know how I get on. . .

    Cheers
    Chris
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

    Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger! Vincenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Yes I have the pot metal ones. I am almost at the point after considering all the information to hand at just throwing in the towell on the original chromed hinges and replacing with aluminium - I just might save a bit of time and $$ from trying to stave off the inevitable.

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Not sure if this has been really addressed yet. The lower spec cars used aluminium boot hinges. They are extremely durable and can be polished to quite a high shine.

    The Pallas car, sadly were fitted with chrome plated hinges made of some terrible pot metal. When they corrode the base gets pitted making it extremely difficult to refinish.

    For my Pallas I obtained a pair of D Special aluminium hinges and buffed them. For those wanting a chrome finish it may be better to get an Aluminium pair chromed.

    I had some pot metal ones chromed but the result was very disappointing.
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

    Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

  16. #16
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I agree but then I guess he knows his market better than I do. Would love to know how it all goes - I'm quite intrigued with the chrome powdercoating.
    I'm expecting the finished result to be much the same as polishing the alluminium, with the advantage that they will remain polished. The process (after some reading) involves a primer that inhibits oxidisation of the aluminium under the coating so should be long lasting.

    Happy to donate the hinges to your project if you cover cost of coating and postage - no pressure, just an offer if you are happy with the result once processed. (I'll post pics here)

    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger! Vincenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    162

    Default

    That is a fantastic offer that I'll gladly say "yes sir" to - Any ballpark prices for the coating? I have a tradie about to take the chrome off the current hinges, I'll ask him to hold fire on those items. Hopefully he didn't do it today...!! That would rip my undies.

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    I'm expecting the finished result to be much the same as polishing the alluminium, with the advantage that they will remain polished. The process (after some reading) involves a primer that inhibits oxidisation of the aluminium under the coating so should be long lasting.

    Happy to donate the hinges to your project if you cover cost of coating and postage - no pressure, just an offer if you are happy with the result once processed. (I'll post pics here)

    Cheers
    Chris
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

    Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

  18. #18
    Fellow Frogger! Vincenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    162

    Default

    My tradie removed the chrome before I got to talk to him. I'll take a picture of what was underneath the chrome and post it, not pretty at all. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised since everyone said so...
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 25th June 2016 at 12:48 PM.
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

    Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

  19. #19
    1000+ Posts michaelr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    My tradie removed the chrome before I got to talk to him. I'll take a picture of what was underneath the chrome and post it, not pretty at all. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised since everyone said so...
    Sorry to hear about your ripped undies. I am sure not a pretty sight.

    I guess under the damaged chrome you found a pitted and porous mess? Those hinges and the outside door handles are a real challenge.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

    DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

  20. #20
    Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Posts
    676

    Default

    The pot metal can be re-plated, e.g.

    Surfaces We Plate

    it is a fairly involved process involving different types of copper and polishing between coats, before application of the chrome, so it is not likely to be cheap.
    Vincenzo likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

    54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

  21. #21
    Fellow Frogger! Vincenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Yes, ugly as. Picked them up and very nearly just chucked them in the bin (my OCD CitBit hoarding would not allow that though). The photo isn't the best in the sense that the hinge doesn't look as bad as it does in the flesh.

    However I had a mostly successful day with the airfilter housing, exhaust manifolds and parking brake callipers, with the 3 different types of paints required. I had quite a production-run setup.

    DS boot hinges-boot-hinge.jpg


    Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Sorry to hear about your ripped undies. I am sure not a pretty sight.

    I guess under the damaged chrome you found a pitted and porous mess? Those hinges and the outside door handles are a real challenge.
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

    Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

  22. #22
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,185

    Icon3

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    Yes, ugly as. Picked them up and very nearly just chucked them in the bin (my OCD CitBit hoarding would not allow that though). The photo isn't the best in the sense that the hinge doesn't look as bad as it does in the flesh.

    However I had a mostly successful day with the airfilter housing, exhaust manifolds and parking brake callipers, with the 3 different types of paints required. I had quite a production-run setup.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boot Hinge.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	86198
    I'm having fun too Vince, trying to separate the two halves of the hinge. . .
    Blind roll/spring pin removal?
    I think the coating will be more successful if I can supply separated, I'll get there

    Cheers
    Chris
    Vincenzo likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  23. #23
    Fellow Frogger! mberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Broom
    Posts
    817

    Default

    I had a pair of the older alloy ones plated, first in copper then in chrome. They came up perfectly and a few years later they are in as new condition.
    GreenBlood likes this.

  24. #24
    Fellow Frogger! Vincenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Yes you are having fun. I had a look at the underneath of mine and my first thought was that it looked as if there was enough sideways play to get a blade in there. What sort of blade would be the next question and being the nerd I am, a micro-plasma disintegrator first sprang to mind. Then I saw the slot that runs lengthways down the pin wondered how squeezable it was or could it be dissolved.. You see, when you don't know anything there are no limits...

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    I'm having fun too Vince, trying to separate the two halves of the hinge. . .
    Blind roll/spring pin removal?
    I think the coating will be more successful if I can supply separated, I'll get there

    Cheers
    Chris
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

    Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

  25. #25
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,185

    Icon11

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    Yes you are having fun. I had a look at the underneath of mine and my first thought was that it looked as if there was enough sideways play to get a blade in there. What sort of blade would be the next question and being the nerd I am, a micro-plasma disintegrator first sprang to mind. Then I saw the slot that runs lengthways down the pin wondered how squeezable it was or could it be dissolved.. You see, when you don't know anything there are no limits...
    Micro-plasma disintegrator, well now if had one of those I wouldn't be messing around with ID boot hinges - I mean the worlds your oyster and the sky is no limit to what you could disintegrate

    There is a roll/spring pin hiding in there, easy to fit but being a blind hole not so easy to remove



    Cheers
    Chris
    Vincenzo likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •