Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By forumnoreason
  • 1 Post By forumnoreason

Thread: DS Garden Find

Fellow Frogger!

Default DS Garden Find

Hi All,

I've just rescued this DS23 IE 5 speed from a garden in Dublin where it's been sitting for about 15 years, the body panels are rotten and beyond repair. The main chassis is poor also, holes in the floors, box sections and bottoms of C pillars. The interior is black leather which is actually v good and useable. It has original radio and a temp gauge!
    I put in a fresh battery but the ignition is permanently on and stale fuel started spraying all over the engine bay; so at least the pump works!! I've jacked it up and put wooden dowels in the suspension cylinders to get it mobile with ground clearance. Hope to take it away next week.
    Personally I think it's too far gone for economic restoration and is good for parts only. A real shame as I think it was propably a very good car before it was abandoned. I'll need a better look underneath before making a decision.

Opinions please!!

Regards,
    Ed

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Ed
    I love a good barn/ garden find story. Can't see your pictures though?

Fellow Frogger!

DS Garden Find-image.jpgDS Garden Find-image.jpgDS Garden Find-image.jpgDS Garden Find-image.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Garden Find-image.jpg   DS Garden Find-image.jpg  

It'd be worth stripping out the interior, the engine/gearbox, the (tinted?) windows and any good trim bits etc. All of that has value for upgrading another car which has good metalwork. I did just that to a rotten 23EFi many years ago - made a lot more sense than attempting to restore the car, so I guess the same applies nowadays.

Cheers

Marc
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the pics Ed. There's still a lot of car there. The original radio is worth salvaging. Looks as though someone had part of the dashboard around the steering wheel off at some point. i wonder what took it off the road?

Fellow Frogger!

The guy who had it wasn't mechanically minded and had no idea what was wrong with it, the ignition switch is missing and the whole dash has been off at some stage. I've started cleaning up the leather and it's actually pretty good.
    The car is pretty complete and has lots of useful odds and ends which will help me finish the 23 I'm restoring.

Cheers,
    Ed

Fantastic parts car, as good as any you might find.

Roger

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I've never seen a parts car with usable interior.... they simply don't exist in australia!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

LHD car, so it presumably started out as an OK and probably not too rusty used Euro car quite late in its life. What pushed it off the road? Rust? I think you'd take all the hanging panels etc. off and have a close look at the frame before condemning it. No doubt, like almost any car you can think of, it is repairable with enough time, money and effort. Someone has spent some time and care on it given they added rear headrests, so you might find it is mechanically very sound.
    addo and GreenBlood like this.

At the very least, I'd see it as a VIN/tag donor to add faux legitimacy for a Pallas or other conversion to lower spec Dee.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    At the very least, I'd see it as a VIN/tag donor to add faux legitimacy for a Pallas or other conversion to lower spec Dee.
    There's no chassis no difference to tell you if a car is Pallas or not among the different DS groups. If you change the chassis/hull, then is it still the same car? Legally, here at least, I would think the chassis number would be seen as staying with the chassis and trying to move it from one to another probably borders on rebirthing. Something of a grey area where a complete donor chassis is involved. Possibly less so if a complete new NOS or repro shell is used as is common with Mini, E-Type and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    LHD car, so it presumably started out as an OK and probably not too rusty used Euro car quite late in its life. What pushed it off the road? Rust? I think you'd take all the hanging panels etc. off and have a close look at the frame before condemning it. No doubt, like almost any car you can think of, it is repairable with enough time, money and effort. Someone has spent some time and care on it given they added rear headrests, so you might find it is mechanically very sound.
    Always a hard decision breaking a car, this car's future would probably be dependent on the condition of the tub. Even so, a donor tub could see it recommissioned.

Costs appear to be a little more favourable in the UK than here if you look at Colin Smith's running tally here. . .
    Citroen DS Restoration: Costs
    Initial purchase £200.00 and now approaching £6000.00 (includes several repair panels for tub and body) Colin's car is a carby model, injection does complicate things somewhat.

Good find Ed, that black leather looks good and much easier to restore than Tabac. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Interesting that it has rear headrests and not front ones!? Has is it perhaps been used for chauffeur duties? Might be worth researching its history.

Your continental cousins would be licking their chops and thinking 'restorer' most definitely.
    GreenBlood likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I've yet to collect the car so haven't really seen underneath, I jacked it up at the weekend and put dowels in the suspension cylinders to give a bit of ground clearance.
    Regarding the rear headrests; they are not attached to the seat but go through the rear shelf. I've never seen this before so I don't know if it's a factory fitting or aftermarket.

Regards,
    Ed

Fellow Frogger!

I collected the car yesterday. Surprisingly mobile once the suspension was chocked up. No seized brakes or handbrake. I was able to get a better look underneath, it's not good. Floor panel in front of the boot floor is rotten. Box section all along one side rotten, bottoms of pillars poor. But the leather has cleaned up very well and various trim parts are useful. Still not sure of the long term plan with it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Garden Find-image.jpg   DS Garden Find-image.jpg   DS Garden Find-image.jpg  

Note the 2001 calendar! Nice garden too.

Always a shame, isn't it, when something unmolested like that is a basket case underneath.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Nothing some serious cutting and welding can't fix!
    You can buy a whole rear section for a D so it may well be worth saving if inclined to fork out the dosh, restored you'd still possibly come away with a car worth more than what you spent.
    GreenBlood likes this.

Fellow Frogger

Get it running and sell it as a rusty project to the Dutch or other LHD market.
    The UK can still trade with Europe!

He's in the Republic, they haven't lost their marbles yet.

I vote send it for "Saigon Surgery".

This needs to happen for Dee skeletons.
    Last edited by addo; 27th June 2016 at 01:01 PM.

Thread Information