DS brake pedal
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: DS brake pedal

Default DS brake pedal

hi everyone
    just noticed this DS S5 for sale in Spain. look at slide 20- it shown a brake pedal was this a special export model why no mushroom pedal.
    interested to get some answers.

Advertisement

spanishperformancelegends.com

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

It's not a DS. It must be an ID or D-Special. Notice the arm rests on the door inserts are also not correct for a DS
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Default DS brake oedal

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    It's not a DS. It must be an ID or D-Special. Notice the arm rests on the door inserts are also not correct for a DS
    however the dash and door handles etc are late model. ??

Not a 21 when new.

Hello, exactly the same layout as my left hand drive DSuper5. Mine isn't so shiny though

Default DS brake pedal

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Hello, exactly the same layout as my left hand drive DSuper5. Mine isn't so shiny though
    does this mean that some D Super 5's had a normal brake pedal. i also noticed it has a pedal hand brake as well. this is the first time i have seen this config.

This one?
    Definitely a SuperSanc.
    Which wouldn't make it a bad car if it wasn't for the upholstery ;∑)

Believe me, in Spain, they have no idea about these cars.
    They advertise DSpecials as DS 21s here.
    I know the biggest (by far) car collector on this island. He's got some really amazing cars.
    When it comes to DSs... he has a '71 Dspecial dressed up as a 21 Pallas, with full Pallas trim... brake pedal, 4-speed gearbox and 1985 cc. engine. It's even got a chromed height lever with a white knob... says DS21 Pallas on the boot, in gold as the chevrons. The serial punch is badly botched. He wasn't even aware of it, and he's a CitroŽn ex-dealer.
    Last edited by Don B. Cilly; 18th June 2016 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Added link to amazing cars :∑)

Yes, my DSuper5 has pendant brake, clutch and parking brake pedals. Hill starts are a nuisance as the parking brake release lever just pings the brake off. You can't balance the gas, clutch and handbrake like a 'normal' car. You can set the release lever so that it doesn't engage and like a 2CV you can also lock the parking brake on.

My door cards are sort of like the shiny one, except the contrasting part is in black plastic and the embossed lines are parallel to the sill, not sloping.

There were Australian ID19 with the conventional pedal operating power brakes too. I guess it was to try to overcome the resistance to the "quirky" champignon. (not to be confused with the ID19 with a conventional brake pedal operating an almost conventional master cylinder)

As for the foot operated parking brake, it was only fitted to RHD D models which had no clutch pedal.... i.e. Automatics or BVH transmissions. There simply is not room for it in a rhd car with a clutch pedal. The left hand footwell has far more space so can a accommodate 4 pedals which can be a bit confusing for the uninitiated.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by lamoor View Post
    does this mean that some D Super 5's had a normal brake pedal. i also noticed it has a pedal hand brake as well. this is the first time i have seen this config.
    Pedal hand brake came on all cars in 1972. Also, in 1972, the ID was discontinued and all D series cars became DS; in nomenclature only.

DS does not mean late model. ID does not mean early model. DS means higher spec, no matter when it was produced. The very first D was a DS19. The lower spec ID19 came later, after market resistance to the complexity of the DS.

All DSs always had a mushroom brake pedal. The ID originally had a pendant. After 1962, right hand drive IDs had a mushroom but left hand drive IDs kept the pendant. Did they ever get a mushroom? I don't know.

In the late 1960s the name ID became DSpecial and DSuper.

This car is a DSpecial or DSuper.

Roger

PS all those arty photos and none of what we really want to see!

Default DS brake pedal

ok Roger thanks this makes sense when i think of the d models that i have been associated with and also the ones owned by myself and the family.

our first citroen in australia was a blue ID19B i think, if the model description is correct. it had the pendant pedal and also the secondary brake assist beyond the normal travel at the end. last resort braking.

the confusion for me was the later 3rd nose with the pendant pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    DS does not mean late model. ID does not mean early model. DS means higher spec, no matter when it was produced. The very first D was a DS19. The lower spec ID19 came later, after market resistance to the complexity of the DS.

All DSs always had a mushroom brake pedal. The ID originally had a pendant. After 1962, right hand drive IDs had a mushroom but left hand drive IDs kept the pendant. Did they ever get a mushroom? I don't know.

In the late 1960s the name ID became DSpecial and DSuper.

This car is a DSpecial or DSuper.

Roger

PS all those arty photos and none of what we really want to see!

Thread Information