Xantia CT Turbo ride heights.
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Xantia CT Turbo ride heights.

Could anyone please advise me of the correct ride heights for my '98 Xantia CT Turbo sedan with 205 /60 R15 tyres.
    The specification sheet I have goes up to '96 only with 205/55 R15. If tyre size is the only variation, then I assume adding 10mm should be correct. Michelin show a 20mm difference in diameter between the two sizes.
    Specs for 205/55 are 160 front, 425 rear both +7/-10 mm.
    So by my reasoning the new settings should be 170 & 435 respectively......provided there have been no other suspension mods with the '98 models. This is the series one style, with the modifications made before the series two released later that year.

Advertisement

Thanks,

Richard
    Last edited by citroenut; 16th June 2016 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Clarification of tyre size variation.

Richard,

It's complicated. Haynes has the heights for all models but this involves adding tyre dimensions to body measurements. I will photograph and get it up on here for you. I would only fiddle if it is well outside the recommended error band as it is very friction and height corrector response time dependent as to where it finally stops. So see what the differential between coming down from higher to pumping up from lower is before you get too excited.

Cheers, Ken

Default It's Complicated

Richard,

Hope you can read these.

Cheers, Ken

Height Adjustment.zipXantia CT Turbo ride heights.-height-intro.jpgXantia CT Turbo ride heights.-height-specs.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Ken, I have the Haynes Fairy tale book, but the chart I used is off the I/net [ 2007 ] & part of official CitroŽn literature I think. Having not checked Haynes, I was unaware of the rear height difference in cars from 96 onward, but it would appear that the front height didn't change. The original tyre size on the petrol turbo cars changed to 205/60 from '96 , & as I am measuring from subframe to floor, tyre size is critical in height measurements. I am well aware of the difficulty in arriving at the true height with the backlash in the system varying figures on rise & fall, & stiction in the system.
    When I purchased the car in Melbourne three months ago, the front height was obviously & dramatically too high, thought by the vendor to be caused by a sticky corrector, as the car had sat idle for a few years. The few short trips around Melbourne soon revealed that the corrector was responding, so I did a quick adjustment before departing for Coffs Harbour. On the drive home, periods of vibration occurred, like out of balance tyres, but eventually I realised it disappeared for awhile after rest breaks, so it was dropping enough progressively too low & introducing angular drive shaft fluctuations. The larger section tyres distort the front height appearance compared with the smaller section on the standard cars, so my sight aligned height adjustment was too low.
    With the available power of the turbo Xantia, if the front height is even a fraction too high, powering on in second gear, for example, can result in serious drive shaft shudder, so it is critical that the adjustment is spot on.
    Thanks for your response, I shall experiment some more based around adding adding 10 mm the figures I have.

Richard

1000+ Posts

Hi Richard

I've experienced similar problems, including the drive shaft shudder. We knew front height was out when on-coming traffic started flashing us at night - low-beam aim was too high! Rather than fix the low beam, we got the ride height fixed.

I did manage to do it myself using the Haynes recipe - it is independent of tyre size, as R1 & R2 are the distances from centre of front hub to ground, and centre of rear hub to ground. However it is essential to have a drive-on hoist, or a pit. I suppose 4 wheel ramps would do, and certainly a car trailer with no central sheeting (just wheel tracks) would work quite well. However it is totally impossible to do with the car sitting on the ground - even with axle stands in place to catch the car when it drops, I don't know anyone slim enough to slide underneath to access the adjustment when the car is at standard height.

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger!

Front on good car ramps, rear on three or four boards arranged for progressive rise, give enough clearance to work safely under the car on level concrete with height lever in normal position. Mark adjustment clamp on antiroll bar with Whiteout, & restart car after each adjustment. With car running, sit on front apron & boot lip to trigger response a couple of times & allow to stabilise for a couple of minutes after final cycle. Before & after measurements under subframe bolt with car on ramps.

Richard

Check the final heights with the car off the ramps on level concrete. If not correct, remeasure car on ramps & adjust for the difference required only using the on ramps measurements. The whole procedure can take minutes, or hours until you are experienced !!!!
    Last edited by citroenut; 16th June 2016 at 02:54 PM.

Thread Information