• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By citroenthusiast
  • 2 Post By Ken W

Thread: Citroen SM (GS and DS) - How to remove Outside Door Opening Latch

Default Citroen SM (GS and DS) - How to remove Outside Door Opening Latch

Folks,

The plastic gaskets on my external door opening flappy latches have almost disintegrated. I have purchased some new ones through L'Atelier 524 and would like to fit them.

The front 10mm nut is easy to remove through the hole in the internal door panel, but the back nut is right in the top corner of the door, hidden behind the internal opening mechanism, the window slider etc - I can hardly see it let alone get a spanner near it. It apparently only needs to be loosened a few turns so that one can lift out the latch to clear the front stud and then slide the latch forward along the back slot until the nut is free and the latch mechanism can be disconnected.

So does anyone have a technique that allows this back nut can be loosened and then re-tightened after the new gasket is fitted ?

I think the GS and DS around 1973 would present a similar problem.

Advertisement

Cheers, Ken

On a DS I remember having to remove the glass and the glass guides in order to access the rear 10mm nut!
    Cheers Gerry

skp
    Fellow Frogger!

Yes, removing the glass is the path of least tears... The set-up is almost the same as the DS, although the glass is easier to remove - so THAT'S a bonus!!
    skp

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Folks,

The plastic gaskets on my external door opening flappy latches have almost disintegrated. I have purchased some new ones through L'Atelier 524 and would like to fit them.

The front 10mm nut is easy to remove through the hole in the internal door panel, but the back nut is right in the top corner of the door, hidden behind the internal opening mechanism, the window slider etc - I can hardly see it let alone get a spanner near it. It apparently only needs to be loosened a few turns so that one can lift out the latch to clear the front stud and then slide the latch forward along the back slot until the nut is free and the latch mechanism can be disconnected.

So does anyone have a technique that allows this back nut can be loosened and then re-tightened after the new gasket is fitted ?

I think the GS and DS around 1973 would present a similar problem.

Cheers, Ken
    Your description is pretty well on the money Ken - on a D by far the easiest way to get to the hidden nut is to remove the glass and access via the top window opening you can see the nut and with a small socket release.

You are correct in that the 'hidden' nut only needs to be loosened, the backing plate can be lifted above the easy stud and slid forward releasing the outer handle. I have managed to do this without removing the glass but with time and frustration experienced, sometimes the longer way proves to be the shortest

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Chris,

Now that's a thought. I have only looked at it from the inside with the window up. Today, I will check out how far the window goes down and see if I can see or access it from the top. Maybe even loosening the window runner will give me enough room to sneak a tool in from the top.

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

The only reliable way is to remove the glass, even then it's a bit fiddly.

When you reassemble, be sure to trip the latch to the closed position otherwise you won't be able to feed the rod through the pinch bolt housing. Then, be sure to open the latch before you tighten the pinch bolt. Test the open, close and lock functions before you put the window back in (don't ask me how I know this).
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

OK Folks,

I've been down to the shed and put the window up a down a few times and I do agree that taking the glass out is probably the only way I am going to get close to that nut - there are so many baffles in the top of that door! So how easy it to take out the glass? Do the rollers disengage from their slots at the bottom of the window easily? Does someone have a work method that's been refined over the last 40 years? What else should I do while the glass is out - lube the motor and gearbox and joints?

And all to change the latch gasket.

Cheers, Ken

OK Folks,

What else should I do while the glass is out - lube the motor and gearbox and joints?

Cheers, Ken
    Welcome to the slippery slope. I'd just change the gasket, put it all back together, close the garage door and have a beer. Job done.

Shame I never take my own advice, my DSuper5 is now at molecular level

Peter

OK Folks,

I've been down to the shed and put the window up a down a few times and I do agree that taking the glass out is probably the only way I am going to get close to that nut - there are so many baffles in the top of that door! So how easy it to take out the glass? Do the rollers disengage from their slots at the bottom of the window easily? Does someone have a work method that's been refined over the last 40 years? What else should I do while the glass is out - lube the motor and gearbox and joints?

Cheers, Ken
    Remove the plastic stop at the top of the front channel (very tiny Phillips screwdriver). Remove the M5 bolts that go through the glass at the bottom of the channel (the rear one also holds the tab for the upper stop, so make a note of how it goes together - it will need to be adjusted when you put the glass back). Remove the bolts holding the rear guide so the rear guide drops out of the way (M7 bolt in the side and two M5 bolts through the bottom of the door, usually crusted with dirt.) With the window at about 3/4 open, wiggle the glass free from the channel and pull upwards out the top.
    frog likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Thanks for the detailed procedure John,

It sounds as though you take the window glass off the top of the support rail and lift it out leaving the support rail and window regulator all in place? That makes the job sound a bit easier. I might have to get some help from my granddaughter to reach in behind the latch to loosen the nut - my hands are much to big for those sort of small places.

Cheers, Ken

The bottom support channel is too long to come out attached to the window, so even if you take out the regulator you still need to detach the glass from the bottom support channel, so may as well leave the regulator alone. Pinch bolt for the operating rod is not obstructed by the glass, so you should be able to get to it through one of the smaller holes in the door.
    Cheers,
    John T.

Glass is out and new gasket is fitted to outside latch. Now I just have to get it all back together today so I can take the SM up to Sandstone Point for a Club lunch tomorrow.

Cheers, Ken
    GreenBlood and frog like this.

Thread Information