Dyane strange rear suspension noise
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By andrewj

Thread: Dyane strange rear suspension noise

Default Dyane strange rear suspension noise

Hi Everyone,

Took the Dyane on a pre-raid "shakedown" drive to Cockle Creek at the very south of Tassy - lots of corrigations, mud etc.

On the way back a strange, intermittent scrapey (if that is a word) noise re-appeared from the right hand rear corner, apparently from suspension bearing.

Advertisement

I was resigned to pulling the swing arm off and seeing if I'd stuffed anything up while changing the inside bearing a few months back. In procrastination I went for a spirited drive to a friends place, and low and behold, the scraping noise moved to the other side!

After careful examination with a stethoscope, the noise was isolated to contact between the swing arm and the floor

I was fearing the worse, but quick squirt with compressed air removed whatever was making contact and all was quiet again. Thrilled not to have to take the swing arm off again

So is this normal? should the swing arm really be so close that a bit of mud and gravel is enough to make contact? There is no sign of body or chassis deformation- only thing I can think is that the foam between the body and the chassis is thoroughly compressed after 28 years of service.

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Hi Andrew
    No help to solving your question, but.....
    Your story sounds remarkably familiar. When I had the Xantia wagon the first year I stayed in Hobart I took a drive to the bronze whale sculpture at the furtherest southern point there. On the way back the car developed a screeching sound from the left rear wheel, and I feared I had done a wheel bearing. I stopped before Southport, tried reversing the car in case something had lodged, but no improvement, so called the RACT. They sent a towie, who was going to take a while, so I found a spot I could pull off the road and pulled the wheel off and had a look. There was a chunk of gravel stuck against the disc brake. The towie arrived soon after - apologising that he had to attend a roll-over further down the road first, so I told him I'd solved the problem.
    Seems the road surface there is prone to flying around and sticking.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Are you sure it isn't dry spring cans?

Andrew,
    it might be worth checking that the underside of the rear 'box' hasn't been pushed upwards by contact with the knife edge/damper hangers, which in turn can displace the rearward facing surface of the box outwards.
    There isn't much clearance between the bodyshell and the rear arms to start with and if it's reduced, small stones can lodge in the gap.

Also check that the alloy spacers between the rear axle and chassis are in good condition, with the sections which project towards the rear present and correct.
    That's where the droop stops on the arms make contact and it's not unknown for that piece to break off, allowing the arms to move downwards too far, resulting in the underside of the box acting as the droop stop.

The largest screwdriver in the toolbox has been known to be successful in restoring clearance between the arms and the bodyshell.

Also, one brand of aftermarket chassis is known to have a problem in this area, even with everything else as it should be...

Contact between rear suspension arms and bodyshell... by slcchassis, on Flickr

See a couple of issues here. Never seen the car before but

Cracks on LHS bracket, no washer under pin( will come off easily), no exposed threads on nut( will not have full strength) badly rusted rod

Something is amiss if suspension arms rubbing on body

Suggest get it checked before something falls and kills you

Whoops, I guess you're not all that familiar with the underpinnings of A series Citroens...

'Cracks' on bracket = peeling underseal.

Citroen never fitted washers on the knife edge pin; a spring clip in each groove (which may be wired for extra security when preparing a car for Raid use).
    The 2cv site, Ecas 2cv parts, fast mail order spare parts for Deux Chevaux

Rear damper has been removed for access to the knife edge; nut and washer are loosely refitted on the damper mounting stud whilst that work is in progress.

A suspension tie rod is not shown in that photograph, that's a (rusty) tie rod end eye you can see.
    On that car, I was more concerned about this result of neglect, found at all four corners.

Guess that's what neglect looks like... by slcchassis, on Flickr

As for design faults, the same chassis once more...

Changing the dampers? by slcchassis, on Flickr

'4x new shocker bolts' by slcchassis, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    See a couple of issues here. Never seen the car before but

Cracks on LHS bracket, no washer under pin( will come off easily), no exposed threads on nut( will not have full strength) badly rusted rod

Something is amiss if suspension arms rubbing on body

Suggest get it checked before something falls and kills you
    Last edited by Ken H; 15th June 2016 at 07:50 PM.

Hi Ken, Bruce and Daffy,

Thanks for the advice. Went within sight of the whale sculpture, but didn't walk out due to the weather changing from glorious sunshine to pooring rain every 15min- even got snow building up on the windscreen at one point.

Can confirm it is definitely not the suspension cans- with the stethoscope we where able to isolate the source to within a few cm.

Had a really good look today, and the metal work in the area is in really good nick - no sign of deterioration of either the body or the aluminium spacers. What I did find though was anti chip sprayed on the body- seems this has reduce clearance just enough to allow bit of gravel to stick occasionally. So reckon easiest course of action is to just clean the mud and gravel out every now and then...

Finished off my roof racks today - it's a cut down "combi" rack from the tip shop. Pressed out of very thin galv sheet - lightweight and hopefully just strong enough to hold up a spare tire, CB aerial and perhaps some camping gear... Oh, and there is just enough space to open the roof also

Dyane strange rear suspension noise-20160616_145035%5B1%5D.jpg
    Peter O likes this.

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Thread Information