• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By deesse

Thread: looking for a good Melbourne trimmer/upholsterer

Default looking for a good Melbourne trimmer/upholsterer

Hi folks,

Advertisement

I am looking for an trimmer/upholsterer in Melbourne who has experience with DS leather upholstery.
    I want to have a bedhead backrest upholstered in the double stitched style of the DS.
    Cheers Tony

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    Hi folks,

I am looking for an trimmer/upholsterer in Melbourne who has experience with DS leather upholstery.
    I want to have a bedhead backrest upholstered in the double stitched style of the DS.
    Cheers Tony
    Blackmans | Automotive Leather Interiors

I believe they even offer pre-made leather kits for the DS.

The only limit to what they are capable of is your budget.

Edit: It's worth visiting Moorabbin, their H.O.

G'day Tony,
    I can personally recommend Garry Blackman in Richmond ( Cremorne technically ). He has done plenty of work for me over the last 25 years. In most cases I have been very happy. Being in no doubt about what you are expecting and giving good reference is the best advice I can offer. He has many years of experience, and is a decent bloke, so if you give him an accurate brief I would expect you will get exactly what you want.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    G'day Tony,
    I can personally recommend Garry Blackman in Richmond ( Cremorne technically ). He has done plenty of work for me over the last 25 years. In most cases I have been very happy. Being in no doubt about what you are expecting and giving good reference is the best advice I can offer. He has many years of experience, and is a decent bloke, so if you give him an accurate brief I would expect you will get exactly what you want.

Good luck.
    I used to deal with Garry when he was at East Bentleigh . He is one of son's of Alan, the founder hewas working from home.

I wonder if there has been a parting of ways of the son's or business in Moorabbin Sold ?

Either way Garry is a skilled tradesman.

Here is the story: http://www.gbtrimming.com.au/?content=experience

I think the Moorabin business is a different business to the one in Cremorne, I did see a very nice leather interior in a DS23 efi 5 speed that was at Hekka's for many years. It was very good and I remember Robert saying that it was done by Blackman in Moorabin, but I have no experience with them personally. Sorry if this is just making it more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    I think the Moorabin business is a different business to the one in Cremorne, I did see a very nice leather interior in a DS23 efi 5 speed that was at Hekka's for many years. It was very good and I remember Robert saying that it was done by Blackman in Moorabin, but I have no experience with them personally. Sorry if this is just making it more complicated.
    Yes Gary broke away from the family business when they moved from East Bentleigh to Moorabbin.

So at the present time Gary runs his own operation, and is a completely separate entity to Blackmans in Moorabbin.

Here is the story, from Garry's website and from my previous post.

http://www.gbtrimming.com.au/?content=experience

Fellow Frogger!

My own experience of Garry Blackman in Richmond was excellent.

Fellow Frogger!

Default MOtor trimmers

It is a complex story - there are about three Blackmans involved in the game, whether as trimmers or as suppliers of leather etc.

My 404 and 240Z have both been done by Peter, who used to be in Cochrane's road Moorabbin but is now one or two streets back in Nelson street ( off Roberna St. Jag restoration place on corner )

Phone number is:9532 5220

I have found that they give good advice, are helpful and do good work and are not overly expensive.

They are usually chock full of flash cars, also some interesting old ones

They did a good job of seats, headlining and carpets for 404 and the others I have sent to them have seemed happy.

Can recommend them

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Yes Gary broke away from the family business when they moved from East Bentleigh to Moorabbin.

So at the present time Gary runs his own operation, and is a completely separate entity to Blackmans in Moorabbin.

Here is the story, from Garry's website and from my previous post.

Garry Blackman Trimming

Thanks gents.
    My first DSpecial had an excellent new black targa interior by Blackmans of Morrabin, so I would be happy to have that sort of quality. So I will give Garry a call, as he is from that mob and he is nearer to me.
    I will post some pictures when it is done as I have some nice green Connoly leather for the job.
    cheers Tony

Garry in Cremorne does great work on beautiful cars and seemsa good bloke . Not cheap though and exceeded his estimate by a mile.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

I have had my bedheads made and am pretty pleased with the results. Brings back memories. It may look familiar to you Dave (not the bed, the upholstery)
    It is a bit like sleeping in a DS every night.
    Blackmans (Peter) did the work which though a little rushed (due to me hasseling because it was way overdue!) is pretty good.
    I found some old chrome door hinges I removed from an old shop display fridge cabinet which allow them to hinge forward so one can put pillows behind. Works a treat and makes reading in bed rather nice.
    Last edited by deesse; 4th October 2016 at 11:00 PM.
    59 Floride, bluey504 and OnSafari like this.

Thread Information