Thread: Citroen DS 21 dash resto

Default Citroen DS 21 dash resto

Hi all,

I decide to restore the dash of my DS using VHT wrinkle spray

This how it looked:

We started the preparation:

Advertisement

But the outcome was a bit of a let down

I'm planning to buy a couple of VHT wrinkle spray and try again but I have a feeling that its not going to be a success.. Do you guys have an alternative solution in case that it's going to be a failure again? Any kind of suggestion will be highly appreciated. I don't want to end up using matte black color..

Thank you for your time!
    Greetings from Greece

If I remember correctly having used this product years ago that multiple light coats with 10 -15 mins flash off time between coats were necessary to get a consistently even wrinkling effect!
    Pierre Boulanger likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

I have been down your path with BAD initial results which were attributable to the Harley Davidson wrinkle paint product. I would bet it is the primer that is ruining your day and the VHT doesn't want to behave as hoped. You need to shake the bejezus out of the can too and application times are critical. I'd remove the undercoat, rust treat it and spray directly with VHT.
    That's what I did and it worked really well. The products used originally were very different in composition a wise senior citizen informed me.

Pierre,
    Powder coat is the solution. There are formulations which duplicate the original finish exactly...and with complete consistency. Just talk to an MG or Jag restorer.
    Cheers,
    Mark...
    mberry and Pierre Boulanger like this.

I wish I'd known that about a year ago Mark. ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Pierre,
    Powder coat is the solution. There are formulations which duplicate the original finish exactly...and with complete consistency. Just talk to an MG or Jag restorer.
    Cheers,
    Mark...
    Hello Mark,
    MG or Jag restorer.. Not an easy task.. Should I guess that it's not possible to just order the specific formulation and do it by myself?
    Have you done it in your DS, do you have a picture or more details to share please?

Thanks

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Pierre,
    Cheers,
    Mark...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Boulange View Post
    Hello Mark,
    MG or Jag restorer.. Not an easy task.. Should I guess that it's not possible to just order the specific formulation and do it by myself?
    Have you done it in your DS, do you have a picture or more details to share please?

Thanks
    Have a look here, this by the same supplier that Mark used - not too convenient for you in Athens but you will have suppliers in Greece.
    GreenBlood’s D(very)Special Rejuvenation 2009>

If you continue with the VHT wrinkle, I agree with forumnoreason, best results are achieved by applying directly to the panels without primer - Good luck

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

And prep the surface with automotive wax and grease remover (surface cleaner) to help the paint shrink evenly.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Good advice here. But, prior to stripping back and starting again. Check the expiry date of the paint, wrinkle finish paint has an expiry date..... as opposed to a best before date.

For the cost of another can, I would firstly make sure the can is very well shaken (as suggested) and continue to shake can well while spraying. Other than that I would ensure the surface is warm and lightly spray the wrinkle paint paying close attention to the distance so it doesn't have time to flood. The opposite of what you want for a smooth gloss finish with normal paint.
    ....... In the picture it appear that the paint has flooded in a few areas before it has had a chance to go off.

If after that, the finish is still not satisfactory, consider doing a final top coat with an ordinary satin black auto paint.
    Ceenine and Pierre Boulanger like this.

Great feedback guys thank you all.. The 2 new sprays are on their way so I will give it a last shot. I'm stragling to find here in Athens a decent supplier. The outcome of the pictures that GreenBlood shared is awesome! Is it to much to ask how much that cost?

Great feedback guys thank you all.. The 2 new sprays are on their way so I will give it a last shot. I'm stragling to find here in Athens a decent supplier. The outcome of the pictures that GreenBlood shared is awesome! Is it to much to ask how much that cost?
    Hi Pierre,
    I had two complete dashes powder-coated at the same time, I supplied them as they were removed from the car, so they were stripped prepped and coated - from memory the cost at the time was around AUD$250.00

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

I had my dash done by Robertos Custom Powder Coating in February. Total cost was $402.00. This included freight and all preparation work. Very happy with turn around time and the end result is fantastic.

Citroën Regards
    Brian
    1970 D Super. (Little Miss Petite).

To quote Maxwell Smart........"And Loving It!"

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Hi Pierre,
    I had two complete dashes powder-coated at the same time, I supplied them as they were removed from the car, so they were stripped prepped and coated - from memory the cost at the time was around AUD$250.00

Cheers
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothFlow View Post
    I had my dash done by Robertos Custom Powder Coating in February. Total cost was $402.00. This included freight and all preparation work. Very happy with turn around time and the end result is fantastic.

Citroën Regards
    Brian
    Brian,
    I just looked at the spreadsheet for my car, $508.00 for the two dashes - looks like there is economy in scale when doing this work.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

I just did a valve cover on an I6 mercedes... Originals looked terrible with bubbling paint... and valve cover seal was overdue for change so I took the opportunity to redo the cover with the vht wrinkle paint which I ve used successfully a number of times... I think the VHT is an excellent product and its never failed me...

What I did is:

1. degrease the **** out of the cover...
    2. paint strip the **** out of the cover...
    3. wash the thing thoroughly and wet sand...
    4. wash the **** out of the cover using the aluminium wash by chemtech...
    5. Once dry...mask then spray the **** out of the cover with a brake cleaner
    6. Let dry and warm up with heat gun...
    7. spray a good but light first coat...
    8. use gun to warm up cover
    9. about 5 to 10 minutes later spary another "good" coat
    10. heat up with heat gun again...
    11. another 5 to 10 minutes apply a third coat...
    12. heat cover again... wait another 5 to 10 minutes...
    13. apply final coat.
    14. apply heat... back off... apply more heat... back off... more heat
    15. watch the wrinkle effect appear and transform uniformly...

I dont have any "before" pics but believe me it looked terrible... after VHT it definitely looks better... not perfect but perfectly acceptable...

cheers

dino
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen DS 21 dash resto-130.jpg   Citroen DS 21 dash resto-137.jpg   Citroen DS 21 dash resto-135.jpg   Citroen DS 21 dash resto-133.jpg   Citroen DS 21 dash resto-132.jpg  
    Lasya, 59 Floride, mberry and 1 others like this.

My son and I did n Mi16 valve cover in a similar way and it came up ok
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

I'm about to have a crack at this myself. My approach is to self-train with a can of the VHT on some scrap sheet metal. Advice to me has been that the temperature of the target is critical and to aim for 20deg C. When I get decent results on the scrap then I will hit the dash. I will follow Dino's cleansing regime I think - I want the dash to be perfect!
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I'm about to have a crack at this myself. My approach is to self-train with a can of the VHT on some scrap sheet metal. Advice to me has been that the temperature of the target is critical and to aim for 20deg C. When I get decent results on the scrap then I will hit the dash. I will follow Dino's cleansing regime I think - I want the dash to be perfect!

Yeah... i think temp is critical... I did the cover while at work and shop temp was set at 21 C... Its cold in melbourne so after the final brake cleaner wash (just to remove any traces of grease after masking) i always find thick chunks of metal like this alloy cover to be oddly "cold" hence why I recommend a preheat with a gun (hair dryer will do as well)... but I think temperature is important with almost any painting project and anything less than 18 C seems to get you into trouble...
    Good luck with it and never forget how important prep is and not to rush... we are so eager to get the paint on sometimes but "rushing" paint projects is a no-no... As simple and as quick my above instructions appear one must note I probably put close to 4 hours work into above cover... I stress: take your time and do it once... do it right.

cheers

dino
    Vincenzo likes this.

Looks very consistent in wrinkle. Great result.

Dear friends,

Just a quick update. We followed your advices and voila!!!

The final result is far better now. Not like the original but decent I can say. Now the dash is fully restored.

Thank you all for the advices

And with leds..

Fellow Frogger!

That looks great! A much better result second time around! In what way is it not like the original please? Are the wrinkles too big? Or maybe too deep?

Tadpole

Nice job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    That looks great! A much better result second time around! In what way is it not like the original please? Are the wrinkles too big? Or maybe too deep?
    Thanks!
    The wrinkles are just a liiiiitle bit biger I think.. But maybe I'm wrong.. The point is that I'm happy since it look so much better now

Icon3

Dear friends,
    Just a quick update. We followed your advices and voila!!!
    The final result is far better now. Not like the original but decent I can say. Now the dash is fully restored.
    Thank you all for the advices
    A real transformation, brilliant result

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    The original dash is/was not a jet black and has quite a fine wrinkle. . . Roberto's Powder coaters came close but still leaning to black.

This is a good close up, showing the texture on a near perfect original dash (mnm - Mathew's car)

. . .and Boyracer's, still one of my favourite interior shots

All said and done the VHT Wrinkle does a good job

Cheers
    Chris
    Pierre Boulanger and Vincenzo like this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Now Pierre, may I ask you to state just what you did (product, temperatures & procedures) to achieve that fantastic result! I am sure that any passenger would not pick that it is not the original finish.

Regards,

John

Thanks!
    The wrinkles are just a liiiiitle bit biger I think.. But maybe I'm wrong.. The point is that I'm happy since it look so much better now

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, I'd also love to see a step by step description of how you got such a good result.
    Vincenzo likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information